Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - best primer and sealers to use
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richowens View Post
hi guys...ole rich here..yes as some of you might know...ive been painting since the early 60's..Ive seen the good, the bad and the just plain ugly...but now I spend my time getting cars ready for pebble beach and Duntov awards thru a premier shop in colorado..we use PPG products and have done so for many years....the only other product I would consider would be Sikkens for a premier restoration...we are restoring the purist type vehicles...we have a 59 vette here restored to original specs...(bolt by bolt), a gorgeous 34 Packard eight convertible capable of best of show at pebble beach and so on...we are coached to use an etch primer when using a three part catalyzed primer with a urethane sealer and either single stage urethane color or base/clear for top coating....we are also coached to use DP40 epoxy primer if a lacquer top coat is used...we will see very little lacquer products in the near future because it is becoming extnict and is being outlawed in many states...many painters and paint reps will argue about this subject but I am a firm believer in an etch primer first on bare metal only when using the primer surfacer to block sand...this is my story and im stickin to it (LOL)
I've used dp epoxy and I thought it was pretty good stuff 25 years ago..etch primer too,also a firm believer 25 yrs ago but back then I had 10 yrs experiance and knew it all .....Today I know better,, Epoxy primer is the only choice.and there hasnt been a can of etch primer in my shop (even the good stuff Dupont made) in 15yrs and like I said I was a firm believer..it went on every bit of bare metal I did..
and PPG never did make a REALLY good clear as far as I'm concernd ,I used only ppg products for quite a few years but they're all a bunch of asshats these days...
SPI epoxy is far superior to the old DP40 epoxyI was so dedicated too and the newer epoxy PPG make isnt even come close...spi universal clear is better in every way than anything PPG has and its comparable to Glassurat ...If your using PPG products ,your doing way to much work to get it looking good enough to be a show winner...Do yourself a big favor try SPI and see for yourself but if your using PPG and have thier sign up you probably had to sign a contract saying you will use only PPG products so dont get caught ...PPG today is like a spoiled man child that inherited the business when dad died and dosent have a clue what to do and are running the company into the ground the only thing they have going for them is their fathers well earned reputation from hard work ....The best thing I ever did was drop PPG ...Theres a whole world of better products out there that arnt so over priced ....