Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - best primer and sealers to use
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 06:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklefart View Post
I have never read so much mis-information.

Laquer and enamel? What is this, the 1950's?

Go to the auto paint store (or web site) and read the PPG literature which is available for all of their products. Read about PPG DP primers. Fill and surface after priming.

The best custom painter in ths U.S. is Charlie Hutton. He uses PPG products including PPG waterborne paints. Fantastic stuff.
He may just be ONE of the best but hes NOT THE best ,theres always someone better..Just undiscovered, Theres plenty of people just as good that dont use PPG...Anytime you see PPG mentioned in a magizine its called advertising and the magizine is PAID to put it there...It means very little in the REAL world....
Going to a paint store and asking them what is the best materials to use on a certain car thats being used a certain way is also a waste of time they know nothing but what the reps tell them and they are salesmen that will sell you whatever they can to get the most money out of you...Compare it to going to a used car lot and asking the saleman what kind of car should I drive...
You want to know what you want BEFORE you go...

Something I heard once and use all the time: If you only believe 50% of what your hear and 50% of what you read You'll be 100% clueless...

The reason lacquer paints will never die completely out is when done right there is simply no better LOOK than a perfectly straight ,rubbed out lacquer job.Unfortunely the only thing its good for are trailer queens that rarely get driven, it just dont hold up on anything else AND only a rare few are willing to do the work involved or spend the time it takes to painta minimum of 14 coats and all the sanding between coats it takes to get that look ,even if they could and did have the talent...Its been 25 yrs since my last lacquer job ...For the LOOK theres nothing better.