Best SandBlasting Cabinet/setup for $500 or less? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best SandBlasting Cabinet/setup for $500 or less?

Ok... this little rinky dink setup from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...net-42202.html

I've siliconed it up, tapped into the bottom with the siphon tube to be more like the big boys, even did the orifice mod by azlo found here on this site ( http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=88862 ).

It still drives my wife crazy at how inconsistent it is and some times she can get a piece done in 20 seconds and other times over 5 mins! Same piece... just doesn't want to blow abrasive and the constant flow of useless air causes the piece to get messed up making it a reject.

It has definitely served its purpose and paid for itself and made us enough to buy a better setup.

I don't have a large compressor... but I do have two of them. One is a craftsman the other might be also but both are 5hp 30 (maybe only 20 but I think 30) gallon horizontal compressors. Specs on the older Craftsman CLAIM "8.6 scfm at 40 psi and 6.4 scfm at 90 psi" not sure on the other one as it is at a friends place.

I know the one I have now works hard... it can't keep up with the wife steady blowing air. It catches up when she takes out the pieces she's working on and reloads the cabinet.

We only blast small (5"x4"x4") glass pieces but we do load about 12 at a time and only that few because it gets crowded at that point. We do anywhere from 2-200 in a session... averaging about 24. I don't see us doing anything larger... we got it for this purpose exclusively. That being said, I'm not opposed to a larger unit... just saying this size doesn't hurt us much.

We also have issues (as I'm sure everyone does) with the protection film. We've tried various alternatives since the OEM stuff isn't available.

We are using glass bead No.4 (30-40) right now, we were using #6 but local shop was out and 4 seems to be working (when the system works) and I imagine I'll get more use out of it since it won't turn into dust the first time it breaks apart... could be wrong on that assumption.

Ok... enough rambling.

Where should we spend our money? Am I being unrealistic with a (soft) ceiling of $500?

Also if it keeps me from upgrading the compressor could I "link" the two together? Maybe a larger volume tank that they both feed? That would increase my CFM's right?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You can link the 2 together with both feeding into one line..Place the media hopper high so it will gravity feed..a good water trap system will help..sounds like moisture is clogging the system..does not take much moisture to clog the works..and look into building your own blast cabinet..lots of freeplans out there..

Sam
Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 PM

For the film go to a printshop and ask if they laminate if they don't they should know who does. Laminating film works great, just cut to size with a knife or sissors. Re a new cabinet try TIP in Ohio. They have ads in Hemmings. I love mine.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 PM

LOL... I AM a print shop!

I mainly screen print and do embroidery but I dabble in vinyl stickers and such... looking at getting a laminator.

So just cold laminate sheets?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.