Best single plane manifold for a nasty 406? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 11:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best single plane manifold for a nasty 406?

Hey all,

I was wondering what all you guys think would be the best single plane manifold for a 406ci chevy that will be producing somewhere in the vicinity of 550hp at the crank. Bearing in mind the manifold will be port matched and flowed etc.

I'll be using Pro Topline Iron Lightning 220cc heads, a heavily modified 750 4 corner double pumper Holley, 10ish:1 compression, a big solid cam of around 260 degrees at 50 - 570 thou lift on 110LSA, 1 3/4" headers and a twin 3" exhaust system.

My thoughts are on either:

Edelbrock Victor Jnr
Dart Single Plane
Brodix Single Plane
Holley Strip Dominator
Weiand Team G
Edelbrock Super Victor

Any suggestions, comparisons or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 09:07 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Brodix

Super Victor

Dart

In this order
Old 10-13-2004, 07:04 PM

Obviously I am biased but my company (Professional Products) makes a single plane manifold for the small block Chevy (#52031) and we had an independent dyno shop (John Baechtel's Westech Performance Group) do a comparison test against the Weiand #7531, the Holley #300-25, the Brodix #HV-1000, the Edelbrock #2925, and the Chevy Bowtie #10051102. We outperformed all of them and best of all our manifold is also the least expensive. The test was on a 355 Chevy using World Products block and heads and a Speed Demon carb. The engine was making 530 hp.

The Edelbrock made the least torque and hp of any of the manifolds tested.

Keep in mind that every engine reacts differently. This was one set of tests on one specfic engine. The engine was a test mule that belonged to Hot Rod Magazine and they were kind enough to let us use it for the tests.

We have thousands of these manifolds in the field.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:46 AM

Thanks for that jimdavis. Question, were these manifolds port matched or bone stock in this comparison?

johnsongrass1 - do you have your reasons for your choice? My engine builder thinks a ported Victor Jnr will be sufficient, but I have heard lots of good things about the Brodix single plane.

Given the extra cubes of a 406, I'd say it would need a fairly large single plane fuel the fire.

Also, as Im going to be using a 4000rpm converter, bottom end torque wont be much of an issue, although I will pushing a 3500lb car.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:29 AM

I kind of like the way the victor jr runs for a streetish motor,I dont think it has quite as much overall,but by 3500 its all there,actually on my 400 it started to really came alive hard at about 3100-3200 with worked sportsman 2 angle heads,11.5-1,and a comp 254/262 .714 roller. A definite live wire at 3500 on.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:49 AM

I cant say for sure where the thing truly comes on because the stall is pretty high,its a throw together of used parts,cool,but used,low dollar,big power,also I have my suspicions about the cam I got .704 with 1.6 rockers at .000 clearance,hmmm,supposed to be .714 at 1.6 and I haven't degreed it out yet either,anyway,I really like the victor jr.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Which Intake

With the low compression ratio you'll be better off with one of the smaller intakes. The Victor Jr., or Professional Products would probably work best. If you put some more compression into the engine the Brodix, or Dart, or a Bowtie intake.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:04 AM

Wheres a guy scope out and buy a professional products intake? Gotta keep up on whats out there ya know.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

You can call Motorville at 888 463 0482. They carry Professional Products.

Chris
Old 10-14-2004, 10:51 AM

To: Coupethis

On the comparison dyno test all of the manifolds were out of the box. No port matching.

The Professional Products manifold has port runners that are essentially the same as the Chevy Bowtie but necks down right at the manifold to head flange. The actual size of the ports at that point is close to a Fel-Pro 1204. This allows you to maintain a smaller port size for smaller engines but easily open it up to a 1205, 1206, or even a 1207 for bigger engines.

Over a year was spent in developing this manifold with many, many dyno tests against comparable manifolds.

Additionally, on the dyno tests, all the pulls were made from 4,000 to 7,000 rpm. The Professional Products was number one in average hp and average torque over that range at 449 and 429.7 respectively. Amazingly enough it was also number one in fuel pounds per hour so it made the most power using the least amount of fuel.

Two pulls were made on each manifold and an average taken of both pulls. All tests were performed on the same day.

Last edited by jimdavis; 10-14-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

I use to sell many of Jim's manifolds when I worked for another company. My engine builder customers were always very happy with the results. I personally used the intake on a 417 SBC drag engine and over the intake the customer had, we made about 20#/ft more in torque. I won't name the brand. . .to political for me.

Chris
Old 10-14-2004, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up people.

Tech @ BG - sounds right, a big single might make it doughy down low with a lack of compression.

Jimdavis - cheers for that ill be definitely looking into Professional Products. I've seen them advertised but no one has used them around this part of the woods. From what Ive heard your manifolds are basically enhanced versions of a certain manifold brand.

Cstraub - cmon you can tell me
Old 10-15-2004, 10:17 AM

Our single plane for a small block is not an enhanced version of anything else. If it is similar to an existing manifold it is probably closest to a Chevy Bowtie but has some very important differences. It has a larger plenum, is taller, has the front water crossover bridged so air can flow under it, has nitrous bosses, five tapped water ports (compared to two for most competitive manifolds), and dual distributor holddowns.

You would be surprised at how many racers appreciate the five tapped water ports. Many of them use every one of them.

When it comes to street manifolds, keep in mind that even some of the more recognized brands are copies of GM and Ford high performance manifolds....right down to the last detail. So if you look at some of our manifolds...are they enhanced copies of some of our competitors, or are they enhanced copies of a GM or Ford high performance manifold? An interesting question. *lol*

We have a very good customer in your neck of the woods....Garry Smith's Australian Auto Accessories. He buys a lot of our manifolds so they must be going somewhere. He has been running some full page, full color ads in some of the car books in Australia.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.