Best single stage black - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 07:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best single stage black

Figured I would try to get some opinions on the best single stage black for my project.
From what I have been reading single stage is better for dark non metallics. Which system would be my best choice for the best overall results. I have a PPG Omni dealer nearby. I have used MP170 epoxy on my bare and e-coated parts.
How does the SS Omni line cover in black?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 08:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Since you have a PPG dealer nearby I would suggest using PPG, but not Omni. Omni is their low end line and although it's a good paint (I used it on my 53 pickup) it requires more coats because it has less pigment and fewer solids than PPG's better lines.

In the long run it won't cost much more to use one of their better paint lines such as Delta, Deltron, or Global DG.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

Glasurit. Used PPG for years till I got a really finicky customer. He popped for a Glasurit redo and 10 years later still looks like new. No hazing or polishing micro scratches.

Might be doing a '55 Chrysler limo soon and it'll be Glasso for sure
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 PM
more debt than brains

why single stage? the base clears are way more forgiving and you can cut and buff a clear coat pretty easy where cutting and buffing a single stage is scary at best left to the pros.

what the thought behind single stage?

jeff
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

I am going with black and from what I have been reading the s/s looks deeper and blacker than bc/cc. Also is less work.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:31 PM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

Go with the BC/CC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug 28.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	7007  
Old 09-23-2005, 01:00 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

The best single stage is a single stage
Old 09-23-2005, 02:18 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

theres not enough pigment in omni to do a black car. when you sand and buff you'll end up with a colored haze. tried it once. never again. my favorite was centari enamel with the urethane glamor kit. i have one 11 years old and still looks great. stick with top shelf paint. bargain brand second lines are a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabzeke
I am going with black and from what I have been reading the s/s looks deeper and blacker than bc/cc. Also is less work.

dont believe that for a minute but if you still want to go single stage then i have to agree on glasurit. their "22" line wich is acrylic urethane is really awesome. sprays smooth and the gloss is awesome even without sand and polishing. i would still go bb/cc though. any way you do it if your going to wetsand and buff the clear you;ll get the deepest black but its also really in the quality of the basecoat. some blacks look more brown than others. hok is real black but spi is the blackest i've seen.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

There are definately pros and cons to both (SS vs. BC/CC). Concept singlestage black is definately some nice stuff. Another option is to mix clear in with the singlestage black 50/50 on the last two coats for more depth- I've done comparisons and it does add depth and also darkens the color. Bob
Old 09-23-2005, 05:22 PM

Last journal entry: metal finish

I never did the single stage mixed with clear.. m guessing u have to use a clear ment for that or does any clear work?

Also i just used the spi black and its even deeper then hok's which is black black.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

A bit off-topic, but I do believe SS black can and does look different than BC-CC black, because I have seen it myself, especially after polishing. I haven't heard any official explanation for this, but my theory is easy to understand: If you scratch clear, it looks white. If you scratch black SS, it usually looks dark brownish. Now, if you have buffed a vehicle, no matter what your eye tells you, it is full of microscopic scratches. In clear, these scratches will reflect a full spectrum of light, while in single stage, a more limited spectrum will be reflected, causing the two to have a different appearence, the SS being darker, or more true to its own color.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
A bit off-topic, but I do believe SS black can and does look different than BC-CC black, because I have seen it myself, especially after polishing. I haven't heard any official explanation for this, but my theory is easy to understand: If you scratch clear, it looks white. If you scratch black SS, it usually looks dark brownish. Now, if you have buffed a vehicle, no matter what your eye tells you, it is full of microscopic scratches. In clear, these scratches will reflect a full spectrum of light, while in single stage, a more limited spectrum will be reflected, causing the two to have a different appearence, the SS being darker, or more true to its own color.
An easy way to look at this is black single stage is mixed in the clear already (so to speak)

So I will let you all argue witch is the best but will say all things being equal
the black basecoat will be blacker. Think about it.

Yes it looks different as there are two type of glosses, shinny and depth.
Singlestage has gloss but no depth. That is why an inside show a single stage would never win. The lights would kill it.
BWK
Old 09-26-2005, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Has anyone used PPG's DCC single stage triple black? I think the code is 9300. Can clear be mixed in with the last coat?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

I've done some nice SS black jobs with clear mixed in 50/50 on the last two coats and they are deeper and darker than plain SS, but yeah BC/CC is even better if the final sanding and buffing is done correctly. You can do your own test panels and verify but I've seen it for myself. The only drawback to BC/CC is that your surface scratches show much more than in a SS, but if the clear is perfect it does have a deeper and darker look.

Do a testpanel and see for yourself, apply two coats of plain SS, then come back the next day and tape a section off for two applications of SS mixed 50/50 with clear, then on the remaining third of the panel do a straight clear.

If you really want to guage the differences use a black that has a brown shade to it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.