Best Sleeper Hot Rods for teens - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another good sleeper would be a LWB '91-'92 S-10 2WD with a 4.3/700R4. With a mild cam, some tuning on the TBI and decent gears they can be surprisingly quick. Most came with 2.56 gears so even 3.08's make a big difference in performance. A co-worker and I had identical '92 S-10's except his had 2.56 gears and mine had 3.08's. We got identical mileage but mine would literally leave his in the dust. I was able to run fender to fender with a V-8 Dakota as well. Several people that rode in it insisted I had swapped in a V-8, now it did NOT run as good a one with a V-8 swap but it did run pretty decent and it was 100% bone stock. I would have loved to have seen what it could do with some 3.73's and a "tune".

A guy here in town had a stock looking '91 LWB with an aluminum head LT-1/4L60E in it. Talk about a sleeper! He now has a Blazer Xtreme with an LS-1. Not exactly a sleeper but still pretty cool.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302builder18
you gotta chevette?
Corvette sorry about that, its also not a sleeper
Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Another good sleeper would be a LWB '91-'92 S-10 2WD with a 4.3/700R4. With a mild cam, some tuning on the TBI and decent gears they can be surprisingly quick. Most came with 2.56 gears so even 3.08's make a big difference in performance. A co-worker and I had identical '92 S-10's except his had 2.56 gears and mine had 3.08's. We got identical mileage but mine would literally leave his in the dust. I was able to run fender to fender with a V-8 Dakota as well. Several people that rode in it insisted I had swapped in a V-8, now it did NOT run as good a one with a V-8 swap but it did run pretty decent and it was 100% bone stock. I would have loved to have seen what it could do with some 3.73's and a "tune".

A guy here in town had a stock looking '91 LWB with an aluminum head LT-1/4L60E in it. Talk about a sleeper! He now has a Blazer Xtreme with an LS-1. Not exactly a sleeper but still pretty cool.
4.3s have a lot of potential too! For the beginners, the 4.3 is pretty much a 350 Chevy with two cylinders removed (much like the Dodge 3.9 is based off the 318). Both v6 engines have good potential, but my preference is the Chevrolet, even if you need to remove the fender liners to access the spark plugs.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:31 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

I recall seeing a show on the speed channel or spike, one of those head to head competitions, where they hotroded some Astro vans. The inspiration was a Lamborghini. One had a $1000 turbo bolt on kit. Suspension was upgraded, but the cool thing was the paint job and the chop top.

You can pretty much hot rod anything if you use your imagination. Find something you like and that you can afford. Time and money will be your biggest issues with any build.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

I personally like the S10 swap. My first one was a sleeper, 85 S10 ext cab with the old light blue paint and the clear coat peeling, but when people pull up at a light they would raise an eyebrow listening to it (had the summit 1104 cam for the duration!) It was a stock 355 pushing about 280hp, I put a bigger cam and some 70cc fast burn heads and it was a lot of fun and in expensive to build. The swap mounting kits are like $50 bucks and another $160 for the special headers that the steering shaft goes through. If you were to drop in a stock 350/350 or a 305 it would be plenty for a kid and no more dangerous than the 80's model camaro's cause they all had the same style frames but a lot more fun! The one Im building now is attached here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S10_Drivers_side.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	55730  

Last edited by 355_S10; 06-01-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Psychomotors

I vote for the 78 and up G-bodies. I have a 79 Malibu that was originally a V6 car and I swapped in a 350 very easily.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM

Last journal entry: Here she is
Last photo:

not a good teen sleeper but a good married guy with kids sleeper has to be the new gto's. I have always had corvettes but now with 2 kids in car seats I really want a goat with a supercharger or a jeep srt-8. for the teen I say why build a sleeper do a cool muscle car or a old f-100 pickup with a v8.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I have a g body and love it. not much of a sleeper though cause most people recognize the body style and think of monte carlos grand nationals and such... but they are a great body style to build. I like the sleeper build the guys on horsepower are doing. That generation of thunderbirds arent very sporty looking and would definitely throw a lot of people off.. I also have an s10 with a v8 in it and its sick and an easy do! its been done plenty of times but is still a cool build. Only problem is they had 7.5" rear ends just like the g-bodies .... very weak. Like someone suggested earlier a ranger with a 302 would be cool... or maybe a modular motor swap... put some turbos on a 4v 4.6l and go nuts with it... the rangers came with 8.8 rearends which are pretty strong rearends.... If I was looking for a sleeper car i would be looking for a solid car that doesn't look pretty or sporty from the outside.. full frame, lots of room for a v8, and cheap upgrades for drivetrain and suspension. Good luck with your build.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:

i always thought to take a G body, like a caprice or malibu and drop a 383 in one of them, haha that would be a wicked set up, and really unexpected from a stock lookin one.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302builder18
i always thought to take a G body, like a caprice or malibu and drop a 383 in one of them, haha that would be a wicked set up, and really unexpected from a stock lookin one.
The Caprice is a b-body actually.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hippie already mentioned the 78-88 Caprice/Impala, I know of one that is a coupe and has a stock LS1 in it and it will do 12's in the quarter. Looks like granny's grocery getter.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Hippie already mentioned the 78-88 Caprice/Impala, I know of one that is a coupe and has a stock LS1 in it and it will do 12's in the quarter. Looks like granny's grocery getter.
I think that the sixth generation b-body coupes are some of the meanest looking cars of that era. Especially with the fishbowl rear window. Still definitely a "grandpa car" by most other people standards.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

What about a Late 70's early 80's Malibu or Monte Carlo?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
What about a Late 70's early 80's Malibu or Monte Carlo?
I would think so.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

turbo fwd 80's chryslers. do all your research beforehand and you can buy one and get it into the 13's or 14's for $1500 or less (including purchase price), and who in their right mind would ever think a plymouth acclaim or a reliant would be quick?

take gary donnovans reliant for example in this old video that everyone has seen

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8R5BwUVYqc

check out the details here

http://thedodgegarage.com/

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.