Hot Rod Forum banner

Best sound insulation for your buck ??

8K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi y'all,
I just gutted my 68 SS interior to restore everything back to new condition. I'd like to lay down the best sound deadener available that wont brake my $$$ Naturally, there's several brand names claiming their product is #1.
I live in CA, so moisture isnt a big issue, however my s.b 383 stroker/400HP w/flowmaster 40 series exhaust does get tiring after a few hours on the road...:) What's the general consensus as to which brand works best w/out killing my $$$-challenged budget? all opinions are much appreciated,

regards, A.

#2 ·
You are going to get a hundred different responses to this question. Some guys claim Peel & Seal, which is a roofing product available at most home centers, is "exactly the same as Dynamat" and costs way less. It does cost way less, but that's where the comparison ends.

My personal preference is B-Quiet products, particularly B-Quiet Extreme. It costs $85 for 50 square feet. B-Quiet | B-Quiet® Extreme

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanx Dan,
Yep, I figured everybody has their own preference, but I'd rather hear it from fellow gear-heads than brand-name retailers peddling their products. Nice tip on the on the "peel-&-seal"..I'm gonna check ure "B-Quiet" Thats one I haven't looked into. Dynamat, & Second-Skin pretty much seem to be first choice, but pretty $$$$ for my budget, I'd rather dunk that into my 4-way disc upgrade!
Thanx for your time, Alan :)

#5 ·
I was really confused as to what to use on my Car, and after much thought I went for what I perceived as the best-Lizardskin and Dynamat Extreme-

Now, my Car has Truck bed lining on the bottom-with that said, I first put on the Lizardskin (both Heat & Sound control)-I can't say if the Heat control works (my Car isn't running yet)-

Then I completely did the inside of my Car in Dynamat, and, it really deadened any sound that might come in (if you tap on the outside of the Car it will sound "dead"-much more than Lizardskin-

IMHO, with whatever you choose, be certain that it is butyl based-that is what does the deadening-

Good luck, I think you just have to pick one and do it, as it is a personal preference sort of thing-

Here's a couple of pictures (I can't seem to be able to load more)-:(

Attachments

#9 ·
#15 ·
If you do the whole car, that should do it. I only did the floor inside the car and in the trunk, and did it with about 2/3rds of a roll. You don't have to cover every square inch on the rest of the car, either.

#17 ·
Since asphalt melts and butyl smells, what would you suggest he use for a sound deadener, considering those are the only two choices? The asphalt in the sound deadener I recommended is mixed with rubber, it is not 100% asphalt.

#18 ·
ummmmm...... Lizard Skin is neither butyl nor asphalt so there is one product.

Then in my post I mentioned different mufflers, rather than stripping the inside of the car apart for sound mat and the like.

Two options right there wit the later being easier and cheaper most likely.

:welcome:

#19 · (Edited)
First of all, he wanted something economical, and Lizard Skin is over $100 a gallon and only covers 20-25 sq. ft. His car is already stripped on the inside, so that's not a problem, and he doesn't want to change mufflers because his dual Flowmaster 40's cost him over $250, and he'd have to spend even more money to replace them. Both of your suggestions would cost him around $400. He has already ordered the B-Quiet, so he's already made his choice for less than $175.00 for 100 sq.ft.

#20 ·
so more to the fact as to why you feel the need to keep posting??? Too much time on your hands or something in your hand?

You stated there are only two sound deadeners. Asphalt and butyl. Not true thats all. No need to get your panties in a twist.

Suggestions are just that suggestions. Missed the post that said he bought the other **** so who cares. **** off.

#21 ·
I feel the need to keep posting because you didn't even bother to read any of the thread before you chimed in with your "expert" opinion. The idea is to help somebody figure out what he can use to quiet down his car so that it's peaceful inside, not to tell him to use Lizard Skin, which you probably never have actually used, or tell him to replace his mufflers. You also don't need to tell somebody to **** off for pointing out how ridiculous your post was. I'm banning you until you learn some manners. See you in two weeks.

Reactions: JeffB
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.