Is this the best spray gun made? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Atomizing is the most important feature that produce the best finish
Agree-buy it 3 37.50%
It is probably as good as a more expensive gun. 2 25.00%
It has to be bad. I paid a lot more for my Sata. 3 37.50%
Too much atomization is BAD--BAD 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this the best spray gun made?

I found this spray gun
cat jaguar

Has anyone ever heard of this company?

It says it has a special atomizing nozzle to produce the finest atomizing possible.

Isn't this the "Holy Grail" as far as paint guns are concerned?

It uses high quality stainless steel needle and tip, which is suppose to last a lot longer than other types. The air cap is hardened aluminum too.
They have a 'Tech" series that uses the same special tip and nozzle but the gun body is cheaper, so is the price @ $178.00.
I am thinking of getting it.
What do you all think?

PS Does it matter if it is a HVLP or conventional?
Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by scrot; 05-17-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

I've never heard of it. The best gun is one you are comfortable with and know how to set up and spray with correctly. Also one that your compressor can handle. The best gun in the world isn't going to produce a great finish in the hands of someone who has it set up wrong or a poor spraying technique. That being said, I am pretty happy thus far how my $40 throw away gun has sprayed clear the little I've used it. A good quality spray gun should last a very long time if taken care of, but with the price I spent on mine, I would probably just toss it and get a new one if it stopped spraying right. There are many quality guns out there, but it has to be one you like and are comfortable using. Also noticed it said it is a conventional gun, but the air requirement state,
Quote:
13.5 cfm at 45 psi inlet pressure
That seems like quite an air hog for a conventional gun. Better have a compressor that can keep up with it.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
Isn't this the "Holy Grail" as far as paint guns are concerned?
If you believe that, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you!

Do you always believe all the advertising hype you read?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

That really looks interesting and sounds great BUT if it was that simple why did big name outfits not do a long time ago?
Old 05-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

It might be good. It might not. It's hard to imagine how much R&D and precision machining can go into a gun in the sub-$100 category, but I guess you never know. I rely on my paint guns day in and day out, and just don't feel like taking a chance on something like that. Of course, my paint guns will spray hundreds of cars, so even though they cost over $400, they're really not that big an investment if you figure it per job.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:04 PM

Last photo:

Ocean front property in arizona, ha ha. Dang you centerline, now I am gonna have a George Strait song stuck in my head for awhile.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

It would be the same gun that is sold under 25 other different names and colors.

These Twain companies will make the gun any color you want and put your name on it, same old gun, just a different color and of course marketing BS.

If you buy it, buy it for price not a thing they say.

Did you notice the 1.4 tip is not offered, two of the companies over there are famous for that and that should give you a hint of where guns forsale without 1.4 tips are made and how much difference there is. LOL
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Made in USA

Web site says Made in USA,
Old 05-17-2006, 04:14 PM

ive learned to buy a well known product that expierenced people have used and a name you can trust. There is always new technology out there but i would let someone else have the credit if its that good. Never buy something with a new name that no one like these guys on this site havent heard of. I painted 20 some years off and on and these guys are very knowledgable about this kind of stuff after all this is hottrodders .com. I believe in this site havent been here very long been in the business alot longer and learning more everyday from these guys. Its ok to ask but its best to listen to the pros.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:13 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I will not say that big name brands are always the best. On the other hand, I also don't believe half of what they say in their advertising. NO ONE is going to say that THEIR product is crap in their advertising. Every new product on the market is THE BEST. In some cases, that may be the case, but that information would have to come from someone else for me to believe it.

Aaron
Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

It does say made in USA but does that mean assembled from import parts?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
It does say made in USA but does that mean assembled from import parts?
I believe it does say that it is assembled in USA.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 PM

Scrot,
I can't say for sure but it's supposed to be a less expensive body than the SLP, which I have. I've just painted a 69 Corvette with mine and I loved the finish I got. This is the one I got http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...guar%20SLP.htm
I like that they have a hardened fluid tip. It is also a 2 piece tip, so if it ever wears to the point it needs replaced, you only have to replace the part that wears.
Also, it is made in the USA with USA parts. They also give you a 30 trial of the gun. I called the tech department and talked with the gentleman at great length, didn't have any difficulty in getting through on their toll free number.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

Hey, dt196, I am glad to find someone who uses one of these guns. The ad says it gives "smoke like" atomization. The 2 piece hardened nozzle and tip sounds good.

What made you think outside of the box and get this one instead of being like a cow in a herd and get a Sata? Moo.

I have a Harbor Freight purple gun and a Sharp Platinum Low Output. I haven't tried the HF gun yet. I've tried the Platinum only briefly on a door and fender. It puts out a small pattern which makes it harder to spray metallics, for me anyway, so that is why I am considering getting the Tech line gun, which has the good tip and nozzle, but a cheaper body for only $178.00. Sounds like a good deal.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 PM

Scrote,
Yea, if I would have looked, I'd probably have bought that one instead of the SLP. As far as thinking outside the box, a friend has 2 Sata 2000's and loves them. He doesn't paint that much and takes real good care of them. That being said, he was getting ready to spray an all over and the Sata just wouldn't shoot right. He found out that the nozzle was worn enough to effect the pattern. He had to buy a complete nozzle, cap and needle set up. He cried cause it was $212. He then also bought his second Sata for a backup. That was enough to convince me to look elsewhere.
I had been looking at the Cat SLP and after talking with the tech person at Cat Technologies, I decided to give it a try, especially since they have a 30 day trial period. I took it over to my friends, had him put some water in so he could test spray it. He was so impressed, that he said if he hadn't just bought another Sata, that he would have bought a Cat SLP.
Dan

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.