Hot Rod Forum banner

Best steer box ratio

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mutt's37Buick 
#1 ·
The car will be a 1937 Buick that will weigh in at about 3800 lbs.
My goal is to build a fun to drive daily driver.
I'm planning on using a ford bronco steer box with a 95 Roadmaster 6" pitman arm & idlers & spindles.
The 95 Roadmaster gearbox was a quick steer 12.5:1 ratio.
I can buy the Bronco steer box with a 12:1 ratio or 17:1 ratio.
Which ratio will be a better fit for my build.
Thanks

#3 ·
roadster steering

The first T bucket I built was out of a lot of free stuff, just had to buy the olds engine and adaptor to hook it up to a 39 Ford gear box. and a box of welding rod. The steering gear was 6 turns lock to lock so I made the pitman arm and steering arm on the front spindle use all 6 turns. On the first test drive out in a field I couldn't turn the steering wheel fast enough to bring it out of a skid. For a highway cruiser you don't need a fast ratio.

#4 ·
Both the 12:1 and the 17:1 are power steering boxes. The 12:1 is from 73 to 75 and the 17:1 is 76 & 77. The 12:1 is supposed to be 5.3 turns lock to lock and the 17:1 is 3.8.
An advantage of the 12:1 is it is close to the original quick steer box with a 12:5:1. This is said to be a great feel for a steer box, but I don't know if being close to the same ratio will yield same feel with a different box. On the other hand the 17:1 box is the newer model and hot rod suppliers seem to sell lots quick turn boxes which makes me think the 17:1 would be a better choice.
1) Are there any down sides to a quicker box?
2) If I can buy both boxes for close to same money, what would you all go with?
Thanks

#5 ·
The 12:1 would be my choice for sure.

No downside if you have a good alignment. It will be a bit more sensitive and that can make it "twitchy" if the front end isn't set up properly.

You can adjust for the sensitivity and feel with power steering pump pressure and volume adjustments too.

#6 ·
The 12:1 box should be less turns lock to lock than the 17:1 box. Something seems wrong with the description of the lock to lock turns. Are you sure of your description? The 12:1 should be the quicker box. That being said I would use the quicker box.

#7 ·
Thanks for setting me straight on the ratios.
Found specs in several places do not jive.
One place says the 17:1 has 4 turns lock to lock. Another says the earlier box has 5.3 and the later box has 3.8 turns to lock which would match 17:12 for earlier & 12:1 for later box.
I'll work to find a 12:1 box.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.