best suspension set up for autocross - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You could use an adjustable shock, just not coilovers. A supercharger is more manageable than a turbo for autocrossing, but can get expensive. I focus on handling to start with, you can always add more power later.
I looked up the Goodguys autocrossing rules. The event at Pleasanton is the only one they have where your truck is allowed, otherwise it's too new. https://www.good-guys.com/events/goodguys-autocross
One class for all the trucks means you could have some tough competition, but I know from experience you don't have to win to have a blast cutting corners and making cones fear for their lives.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Astroracer has the right idea!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

I wouldn't discount the 60-72 truck arm suspension in the rear. Look at every NASCAR and NASTRUCK out there. They all use this truck arm setup. For handling, they work VERY well. For hauling a heavy load, not so much, hence GM dropping them in later years and making leaf springs an option during these years.

Your biggest problem is going to be weight transfer. With a light back half of the vehicle, getting it to hook up coming out of corners will be the hardest part. A big thing that helps that is an engine set back. Getting more weight moved to the rear and off the front will gain you the biggest benefits. The other problem you have with a truck platform is frame twist. Until you get into later years with boxed frames, most open C types just have too much twisting action which make dialing in a suspension very hard.

Another trick when I used to autocross was to dial in a little toe out. (1/16"). This would make turn in quicker but a little more twitching in a straigth line for daily driving.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

When one get serious about autocross one can spend a great deal of cash on suspension..We used to take a whole box of springs with us to the track when we were doing test and tune..As well good bucks were spent on shocks that are adjustable..Sway bars are a whole nother story to get the balance right on a particular rig,,

All is not lost though just get out there and run the truck study and make mods as the budget fits and someday you will run up front..

Sam
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 AM

thanks mark,

i will be swapping out the 307 to 350 due to the fact that i still have to smog the truck, california....meeeh. seeing that they only made it till '74 i can't have it in the truck. the th400 is a plus that im getting with the 350. package deal for $400. (i will r&r both of them before putting them into my truck)
Old 06-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

All good suggestions above... One item I did not see listed was to upgrade the power steering box to a higher ratio turn box. Autocrosses are notoriously tight requiring a lot of aggressive steering.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.