Best tips for removing fly specs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best tips for removing fly specs

Ok chaps, share your secrets to removing fly puke (aka fly specs) from panels. These damn things spit all over my car, I get several on each panel it seems. Haven't found a good way to remove them; wax and grease remover doesn't do it, red scotch brite doesn't do it. Right now I just hit them with some sand paper but I can't help but think someone has a better way, especially if my panel is already in 400 or 600.

Anyone have a magic trick they've found?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Are you talking about fly poop?...Where are you painting? Do you have a booth or enclosed area? If you do, try spraying the paint area with Raid or any insect killer, clean up the paint area, clean up the poop, the flys should be dead and paint away.

I don't mind the poop so much, it's when they do a full 1 2/2 with a twist off the top of the windshield and start doing the backstroke in the middle of the hood I just painted...then I get a little pissed...LOL

Ray
Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

yeah, the fly spit and poop. I have a booth, but it's not the insects in the booth that is the issue; there aren't any bugs in there because it's always closed off. It's just when my panels are sitting in the main part of the shop that they tend to accrue fly specs, and they are a ***** to clean up! That's why I was hoping someone had a magic potion or method that works wonders.

Though I do think it would be a good idea to put up some fly tape in the corner.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post

I don't mind the poop so much, it's when they do a full 1 2/2 with a twist off the top of the windshield and start doing the backstroke in the middle of the hood I just painted...then I get a little pissed...LOL

Ray
I got a good laugh out of this. Just pictured diving/swimming flies
Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

likely spider poop . it's bio so soap and water will take it off. like cleaning bugs off , even lacquer thinner wont cut them . soap and water will soften it and take it off.
always keep q-tips , tweezers and tooth picks in your booth .
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
Lizer (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Shine, duly noted. I have q-tips, but need to steal the wife's supply of toothpicks and some tweezers.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

wow, just regular soap and water works awesome, they just dissolve right away. To think this whole time I've been scrubbing them with WGR, scuffing, sanding away.

Well I feel like an idiot!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Are you talking about fly poop?...Where are you painting? Do you have a booth or enclosed area? If you do, try spraying the paint area with Raid or any insect killer, clean up the paint area, clean up the poop, the flys should be dead and paint away.

Ray
I also hate the march of death as they party across the fresh glasslike clear.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

Ray, Years ago, painting the trunk lid on my car, I had just finished and was admiring my work when I saw a moth fluttering across the garage. Before I could do anything to chase it away, it landed right in the middle of the lid, wing tips dragging in the fresh paint. He struggled for a good 2 1/2 inches before dying, leaving a trail in the paint. After it dried, I sanded, primed, blocked, primed some more, then finally got back to spraying color. Several coats later, just as I finished, another moth appeared out of nowhere and started a suicide dive right into the paint in exactly the same spot! Fortunately this moth died right away without leaving a trail. When the paint dried, I blocked and buffed his butt right out of my paint job! (well, mostly out!).
Old 07-30-2013, 04:17 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

few extra coats of clear ................... tell'em you airbrushed it .
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (07-31-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

LOL...Bob, when I first started repping PPG, I had a walk in customer ask me all kind of questions on how to paint his car, we discussed this for a good hour or longer, then he asked if I could make him a color that no one else had, I told him I could, he gave me a rough idea as to what he wanted the color to do so I made him a sample, it was a Black Base with Red Pearl...he ended up buying all the sand paper, tape, masking paper, primer, all the base, all the clear and a very respectable paint gun that I recommended, it was a Devilbus GTI. His total bill came to about $2,000.00. I thought that wasn't a bad sale for a couple hours of work, mixing time included.

Over the next several days he called me a few times on tips for priming, block sanding and all the usual stuff. The day came paint the car and he asked if i'd mind to come and look at the car to make sure it was prepped properly. I went to his house a few miles outside of the city and saw that the guy had done all the work in his garage that was attached to his house. The guy did a great job, the car was ready. Then he told me he was somewhat afraid and asked if I could stick around for a while to make sure he was doing things right We had become pretty good friends and I just couldn't say no so I set the gun up for him for base and made a few passes and he took over. He got the car in base and we then started to clear, I made a few passes, handed him the gun and he laid 2 very nice coats of clear on it...He looked at it and said, "we still have a lot of clear left, why don't we put more on" I said sure and he painted away. After 4 coats of clear, we didn't have enough for 5 and it was getting dark, so we shut everything down and went inside.

5 minutes after we where inside, his wife came home, walked in the house and began complementing her husband on what a beautiful job he did. I jumped out of my chair screaming "NOOOOOOOO". She had walked in through the garage, turned the lights on and left the man door open to the garage. Seeing that we live in Canada, at night you can hardly see the street lights for bugs on those warm humid Summer nights.

The car was covered from one end to the other in mosquitoes, moths any and every insect you could imagine. That super shiny Black Pearl paint job looked like "The Paraplegic Olympics For Insects" the way they where struggling to get out of those 4 coats of clear. Together we fished out the big ones shut out the lights and i went home. The next morning he asked what WE should do...I told him that we could either cut the bugs out of the clear and reclear it or we could try and color sand and buff them out. He opted for color sanding and buffing. So it was more sandpaper, a 3M polishing kit and a polisher, another $450.00. Reclearing would have cost him roughly the same amount, with the clear he was using, maybe even more.

Because we had put on 4 coats of clear and the fact that it had begun to set up somewhat, we blocked every bug out of that paint and the car looked great. I found out shortly after that his wife had been reported missing ever since that evening...LOL. Just kidding about that but she sure did feel bad.

Ray
Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

I know all about bugs in Canada - my personal nightmare times 10,000! Good thing he had you! My two moths were enough for me.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

Boy oh boy Ray, that is truly a real horror story. Any painters worst nightmare come true!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
few extra coats of clear ................... tell'em you airbrushed it .
ha ha! funniest thing I've read all day.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.