Hot Rod Forum banner

Best tire rim size / Road & 1/4m drag ?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  x007 
#1 ·
Hi,

I need some information about what could be good for a street/ 1/4m drag, i drive the car on the road to the track... So i have think to get mickey tompson street tire.. Can someone suggest tire size/rim size good for street but performing for a 1/4m run.. ?

-800+ HP Engine Supercharged
-read end 3.73
-Transam 3400lbs car

-Stock rear fender & wilwood disk brake on the rear that require at least a 16" rim size to have room for the caliper & disk..

Any info is apreciated , i curently dont know what would be my best bet...

#2 ·
We could use a little more information, to make this easier.

I have seen quite a few 30 inch tires with the basic information you gave.

If you are going to give this vehicle an even divided time between the track and street go with two sets of tires and wheels for the rear, if mostly street go with more of a street legal drag type of tread or even a full tread with a good contact patch pattern, and air them down as needed.

#4 ·
I agree more info is needed. Do you even know what size tire you would like to run? I personally went with MT ET Street Radials but, I haven't driven the car yet so I can't give any input on how well they hook or wear on the street. I have heard nothing but, good things about them (which is why I bought them).

Hoosiers Quick Time Pros are good street/strip tires.

Do you want a radial or a bias ply tire?

The problem with the 16" rim is, there is not a great selection of drag type tires.

How wide is your rim? How much tire do you want?

Royce

#5 · (Edited)
Hi all,

----------------------------------
CURRENT

- Trans-am 1984 (800+ HP engine)
- Wilwood Disk brake on the rear require +- 16" inner rim space(may be 15lt will fit ??? )

Current kumho : front 225/50/16 rear : 245/45zr16
mag are american racing Nitro 8"
--------------------------------------------------

Ok now i want to replace this (wheel/tires) for a someting good for road/ 1/4m. drag tires, larger possible rear one that can fit, an lighter/smaller front wheel/tire... May be M/T tires ?

What wheel/tire size you suggest & price !
I need someting good to drive on the road and performing on a 1/4m track. (week end road car & drive to the track )

Ps: i dont want a car drop, so tire have to not put the car more close to the road..
Thanks

Anyting more needed ?

#8 ·
You have rear fenders that are 12" wide. You could squeeze 12s under it with some work...possibly.

I'd recommend a rear tire 11" wide(or 10 if you plan on corners) and 26.5" tall with the fronts being 7" wide( or 9 if you plan on corners) and 26.5" tall. Do not rely on the common 255/50/16 or what ever. You need to choose a tire that lists its dimensions.

Your best bet is to go to the tire shop if you can't measure backspacing. It is easy to do though. Just jack up the car, take the tire off and measure the distance from the rim mounting flange to the inner fender. Subtract 1" to be safe.

Summit has some tires to choose from but I don't think you will ever hook 800+ supercharged HP without some excellent suspension and slicks.

#9 ·
I have 9" from the more near car frame to the front of the disk where the rim sit/bolt...

The tire i have currently (kumho), the "rubber" where the tread are is 12", i
think i cant use very larger than this i guess ?

As for the car, its hooked for power, but still need to find good tire size for it :)

when they mesure 26,5 its the total size from the tire ?

Do you know if 15LT will fit ? how mutch inner spacing have a 15LT rim,
not sure if the disk will fit in it ?

NXS said:
You have rear fenders that are 12" wide. You could squeeze 12s under it with some work...possibly.

I'd recommend a rear tire 11" wide(or 10 if you plan on corners) and 26.5" tall with the fronts being 7" wide( or 9 if you plan on corners) and 26.5" tall. Do not rely on the common 255/50/16 or what ever. You need to choose a tire that lists its dimensions.

Your best bet is to go to the tire shop if you can't measure backspacing. It is easy to do though. Just jack up the car, take the tire off and measure the distance from the rim mounting flange to the inner fender. Subtract 1" to be safe.

Summit has some tires to choose from but I don't think you will ever hook 800+ supercharged HP without some excellent suspension and slicks.

#11 ·
NXS said:
You really need to go to a tire shop and have them measure for you. on the rims. The tire I might pick is a Mickey thompson ET street. Call Summit at 1800-230-3030 and ask about P# - MTT-3793
i will take a look...
Its hard to be sure of the size, since i will most likely buy it online i
want to avoid any error.

ps: does the Et street have to be bolted on rim ?
Et street require tube right ?

thanks..

#12 ·
x007 said:
i will take a look...
Its hard to be sure of the size, since i will most likely buy it online i
want to avoid any error.

ps: does the Et street have to be bolted on rim ?
Et street require tube right ?

thanks..
With that much horsepower I would recommend tire screws. The ET streets can be ran without tubes, I ran mine without them and they leaked a little air now and then, but with that much horsepower I would also recommend tubes as they are supposed to have tubes. I recently switched to the MT ET Street Radial which is tubeless and lasts a LOT longer, and they hooked the same for me, I really like them.

#13 ·
draven said:
With that much horsepower I would recommend tire screws. The ET streets can be ran without tubes, I ran mine without them and they leaked a little air now and then, but with that much horsepower I would also recommend tubes as they are supposed to have tubes. I recently switched to the MT ET Street Radial which is tubeless and lasts a LOT longer, and they hooked the same for me, I really like them.
Hi,

i have looked on the Et street M/T radial, and i guess i will give it a try , look like interesting tire... May be i will start from this one.. Same price as the ET street non radial & may be more suited for my use.. I will maintain a street tire set for normal roading anyway.. If i realy need more i guess i will bolt a Et street on rim and use it only for racing..

I expect to be under 10sec this year so will see :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.