Best tool for cutting metal? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 12:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

chopsaw

I'm on my second blade.The first one "lost" a couple of the carbide tips- Milwaukee replaced it.The second one looks fine to my eye, but it just doesn't seem to cut very well, I'm comparing it to my 20 year old Makita with a cheap carborundum blade.The blade is the correct one for the saw. Bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2006, 08:52 AM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Miter saw to cut steel

The horizontal band saw is the most cost effective for the money to cut everything. BUT you can't cut heavy plate you need a harbor freight metal saw, $89 and it cuts through 1/2 steel like butter, this is similar to what we are looking for in a miter saw.
I read an article in "STREET RODDER" page 100 in Sept issue where Jim Rizzo was using a miter saw with a carbide blade to cut rectangular tube. I may try this, but would like more info to keep from ruining blades. If this works it's the answer. Any help out there would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Bill I guess I am going to stay away from the Milwaukee saw. I am going to have to take a look at that HF band saw. You got a model # or anything? My friend bought one of those HF sliding miter saws. It was to inaccurate for fine wood working so we thru a 10" abrasive cutoff wheel on there. It worked pretty good but I just don't like the fiber or abrasive blades. They don't cut clean and there is to much flex in them to give a true cut. I have run aluminum thru all my wood tools. Even sheet aluminum thru the table saw. If I could weld aluminum I would say the heck will steel!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

saw

WB, I agree- the abrasive discs flex too much. I've worked around the problem with the bench sander from home depot. I bought a big box adhesive backed 6" discs from autobody tool supply- very reasonable. Still haven't burned thru the whole box. Bill
Old 07-30-2006, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

This one is on sale now for 149.99 at the store only

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37151
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93507

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47840

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93762
Old 07-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Bugs

Clarke saw

I was in TS one day and I seen this metal cutting skil saw that was made by Clarke, I bought it, it has a 7-1/4inch carbide blade in it, I think the price was around $98.00, I was amazed the first time I used it, I was cutting 3/4" galv. pipe with it, the next time I used it I cut some 2" angle iron with it, it would cut the metal just a good and fast as if you were cutting a 2"X4" with a wood saw, it catches all the shaveings too, I was really impressed with it,,,,,,,until I went to cut a double layer of stainless steel that was around this big water tank, It ate every one of the teeth right off the blade, but as far as cutting steel and aluminum you can't beat it, say NO to SS though,

Replacement blades for it are $28.00 plus shipping on their web site, hope this helps
Old 07-30-2006, 07:02 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

Metal cutting skill saw sounds cool but thats not really what I am looking for. I am going to have to look into that just out of curiosity. I think I am going to take a closer look at that HF band saw. It seems like they are giving that thing away! A band saw should produce nice clean cuts too. You just never know about HF tools....
Old 07-30-2006, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Weird, I let my big Do-All band saw go with my shop and since I only needed light duty cutting I bought that small HF band saw, I was really surprised at what I got That thing cuts even more accurate than my old Do-All (Do-All is an industrial brand for, those not familiar with the name) and with the Morse bi-metal blades it will cut a lot faster than you might expect. I don't see how they can sell something even that heavy for only $150.00 and it is decent quality too. I have used mine a bunch since the last January when I got it and so far it has been 100% trouble free but at this point I have used it so much already it could fall apart into a heap and it would not owe me a thing!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:30 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

Well I think I am going to have to get one! My lil sun room is bursting with tools and parts... I really really need a shop bad!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:38 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

wierdbeard, I have a small band saw myself. I just change the blade to cut metal tubing. Works fine on 1/8" sidewall tubing, and I've cut some small pieces of 1/4" plate. Just plan your cuts then change the blade for the weekend! Weld the next weekend...
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 AM

Last journal entry: Cleaning and Powder coat
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs
I was in TS one day and I seen this metal cutting skil saw that was made by Clarke, I bought it, it has a 7-1/4inch carbide blade in it, I think the price was around $98.00, I was amazed the first time I used it, I was cutting 3/4" galv. pipe with it, the next time I used it I cut some 2" angle iron with it, it would cut the metal just a good and fast as if you were cutting a 2"X4" with a wood saw, it catches all the shaveings too, I was really impressed with it,,,,,,,until I went to cut a double layer of stainless steel that was around this big water tank, It ate every one of the teeth right off the blade, but as far as cutting steel and aluminum you can't beat it, say NO to SS though,

Replacement blades for it are $28.00 plus shipping on their web site, hope this helps
Clarke also has a metal cutting Mitre saw for about $110. It will cut tubing up to moderate size 3-4" I think and is quite effective for that but I still need something for sheet.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

For cutting Stock (Angle Iron, Pipe, Strap), I purchased a Dwalt Metal Cutting Mitre Saw (14")-it is great, no burrs and clean cutting, and they say you can get about 400 cuts before having the Blade resharpened-this is it-
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?productID=159

I also bought a Metal Cutting Saw (Skil type) from Mi-T-M-same thing as Bugs described, and I use my Saw Guide to cut 18 Gauge-this one:
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/462142

I have set up my Jet 14" Bandsaw (designed for Wood) with a high count TPI Blade on it and I am surprised how well it cuts Metal (I was told I would have to slow it down, but haven't needed to).

I like using my Bandsaw for Sheet cuts on Patterns, but it's hard to beat a Metal Mitre Saw on straight cuts. I think you can become a Tool Junkie pretty easily-I don't think a guy can do everything with just one Tool-
Old 08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

Very cool stuff! I bet that Dewalt saw is pricey. I really like that HF metal cutting band saw because if I am not mistaken I will stand vertical for cutting patterns in sheet or it will lay down horizontal and chop. I don't think you can beat that for $150/$200. Hello.. My name is Weirdbeard......and I am a toolOholic.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

I is a tool junkie their MINE all MINE so just back off !!!!

MINE
MINE
MINE
MINE
MINE
MINE

Now we know why I could never be a Snap On tool jobber

Maybe you could get one of them old KALAMAZOO band saws .

Been a long time since I've used or even seen one of them.

You can set them up with the liquid lube & a small pump& reservoir to make the blades last longer .

Hmmm I'm gonna search for them now.

MINE! GRRRRRR

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 08-02-2006, 10:25 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Expensive

ARGH ARGH ARGH!!

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.