Best tool ever!!!!!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 PM
boatbob2

Wiki Edits: 0

single post lift

hi,i had a single post lift in a service station that i used to own.it worked great,.never had a problem..but,it was installed before i bought the station. does anyone know how much a single post lift would weigh?? that is,out of the ground? i would seriously look for one if the weight was right.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

An outdoor lift, huh?

That might work in AZ, but it sure would be rediculous to have one here in AB (Alberta Canada).

You guys in AZ could probably work comfortably outdoors about 300 days per year in your warm, dry, frost-free climate ... but not here.

We tell the story that we have about 10 month of winter, and two months of poor sledding , but that's a bit of an exaggeration.

I HAVE seen snow in every month but July at some time in my 50 years, and we get a fair amount of rain during the summer months, too. (I guess that's why trees and crops grow pretty well here.)
Old 08-19-2007, 05:37 PM
ASE Master Tech

The two post aren't that bad to use. Just make sure you lock them before you leave them up overnight. I saw pictures of a car while in school where the rear post bled off and the front was locked and still all the way up. You can regulate how fast the both come down so you can match them.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Worn Out and Broken

Slick!!!! I haven't seen one of those in use in a long time. I put in a lot of hours under one of them back in the fifties and sixties.

Montea, this type of lift uses the same frame contact points as one of todays two post lifts; the arms are just fastened to the plate on top of the big cylinder piston under the middle of the car, instead of being put in from the outside. They are every bit as safe.

66GMC, 200 days might be a better estimation of reasonably comfortable outdoor time, here in the "great desert southwest". Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Tucson start warming up in May (into the 90s and 100s), are just plain HOT until late September (highs range from 105 to 120 - lows often not lower than mid 90s at night), and winters can be cold at times, especially at night.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:04 PM

Best

Chevy7283 touched on something very important. I was picking a car up once with a 2 post lift and all of a sudden the seal on the front post popped and the front of the car dropped. Luckily the car was only in the air a couple of feet and no one was under it. The lift didn't have any mechanical locks. If yours doesn't have a mechanical lock use truck stands or something just in case.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u more grill shell mods.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by montea
that kinda looks scary to be under. how stable is the car on it? how big of a hole had to be dug? got any pics from the installation of it? i have never seen one of these before but then again im not that old
Montea

They were really popular in gas stations in the 50's-60's. I'd like to have a dollar for every hour I've spent standing under one. Very solid stable heavy equipment but hard to maintain when they got old. As others mentioned they rust and leak. For the most part water from floor washing filled the pit up and people didn't pump them out often enough and they rusted away. Most of the time they were in the ground at an elevation lower than the sewer line so you had the water issues to deal with. Otherwise the water and oils leaked into the ground ...not good...
Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Lift...

Good thing for me I live in Arizona. It is very dry here and I put the lift in myself so I took measures to make sure it would not trap water in it. It works great for me just rebuilt my rear suspension and it took me 3 nights to do with the lift. It is a homemade trianglated 4 link with poly bushings. The old heim joints were too small for my liking and thought the rearend would fly out under load. Here are some pics. The pics were taken at a angle so the links look different sizes but they are all the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	23645   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	23646   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC02.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	23647  
Old 08-25-2007, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

best tool

It is the best tool you can buy.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:46 PM
boatbob2

single post lift

Hi,i would love to buy a complete single post lift.i live in north florida,but i can travel most anyplace to pick it up,i dont expect to find the deal of the century.if you know of one for sale please email to boatbob2@earthlink.net ps, any hotrodders can borrow it,no charge. Bob
Old 09-03-2007, 10:27 PM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck
Last photo:

Does it spin? Lol.

I used to put work on those once in a while. I really hated changing the seals on the 10 and 12 inch cylinders. Especially the dual cylinders. They sure don't take up much space though.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

????

Hi There: So is the seal hard to change or is it just messy? I can handle the weight of the X- cross piece with no problem with my super heavy duty Engine Puller. As you can see I dont like to buy much. My time is cheeper than buying new stuff.

Tom H.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newmo001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	23952   Click image for larger version

Name:	newmo002.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	23953  
Old 09-04-2007, 06:30 PM

My friend has one in his shop right now he uses it every day. He says he likes it much better because it takes up less room. I don think he ever really had a big problem with it either.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 AM

Last journal entry: Going Slow.. and steady?
Last photo:

We had the doub;e post type back in H.S. auto shop. Man was that things scary lift at first.. Two valves to play with to get the front and back going up at the same time. We always put stands underneath for safety.. if something losses psi you'd be in a world of trouble.
There were a few time when others (not me of course) had one ram going up/down faster than the other... some scary moments but nothing busted.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb
...(snip)... Also there is an old dodge garage with a single post front and single post rear lift arrangement that can be raised and lowered independently. That must be scary.
Ya, my local mechanic has one of these in his garage. Very handy with separate independant controls ...
Old 09-23-2007, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

theres still some like that in old stations around here & theres some like that here with two post in the ground, and you regulate 2 valves at the same time. keeping the front & back coming up and going down even. you don't see em 4sale cause when they pull them from stations floors they get pulled and discarded in a hurry, and the hole filled in and concrete pored over the top of it, so you cant tell it was there. just in case it leaked oil in the ground. EPA would make a huge clean up over a leaker. my buddies shop was built in the 70s and has a 2 post in the ground. my cousin goes to shop sales and has bought 2 $ post above ground lifts for $300 to $500 one was $900 he has 2 5 bay shops. he says just look.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.