Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Best Tools for the Job (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/best-tools-job-223661.html)

BenCalder 09-03-2012 07:55 AM

Best Tools for the Job

Hi all,

I was just wondering what tools you guys are using?
I went my local hardware store yesterday and their screw drivers were awful!!! I have been using some good screw drivers from a company called Sudorf or Sudorf Tools. They have been really good, but I've had them for a while and they are a bit ancient. I tried to order some more, but I have checked [************] and even their *********** [/URL]site, but I cant see a way to order them! http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/i...lies/frown.gif
So was just wondering if you guys knew of any other good hand tool companies that I could order from?

monster76 09-03-2012 08:03 AM

I buy mostly from the snap truck but i am always looking on ebay for broken tools to buy cheap and then warranty lol

66GMC 09-03-2012 09:44 AM

That's a really good point. Short of the Snap-On "Blue Point", I've never found any quality screwdrivers. I have a set of Craftsman screwdrivers that I bought in the early 80's that are still hanging in there ... but they have those splined handles and round knobs on the end that just don't feel right, especially when you are working with something very tight.

BTW, speaking of screws and screwdrivers.
I'm sorry, but I'm still swearing at Mr. Phillips for inventing the phillips screw. I don't know how you Yanks can put up with them.

I bought a "gate kit" and tried to assemble it with the included black anodized phillips screws.
After having had 3 or 4 of them fall off the tip of my impact driver just before hitting the trigger, or having them veer off-course, or have them strip out before even making contact with the bracket ... :pain: .... I threw them out and grabbed a handful of Robertson cad-plated deck screws and just finished the job complely frustration-free.:thumbup:
http://www.marathonhardware.com/medi...son-screws.jpg
If those cad-plated screws really bug me, I'll hit them with a shot of rattle-can flat black and call it a day.

66GMC 09-03-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster76 (Post 1588012)
i am always looking on ebay for broken tools to buy cheap and then warranty lol

And people wonder why (whine about) the high prices of things. It's sad that manufacturers have to build the costs of fraudulent warranty into what they sell.:nono:

We just hired a young guy, and the first impression is that he seems like a hard-worker. I told him the other day that I had just caught a rock in my new windshield on the way to the dump.

He "suggested" that I follow a gravel truck, get the plate number ... and jot down the time and approximate location. When I get home, hit the windshield with a ball-pein hammer, then phone the gravel truck company in order to get a "free" windshield.

I doubt that he even knows that he's completely un-done any respect that I'd had for him. I despise sleasiness ... can you tell?

timothale 09-03-2012 10:44 AM

I didn' buy enough

I stopped buy a Habitat Restore (we were doing new kitchen cabinets), They had baggies of cad plated short drill point washer head screws and Torx gold screws, two weeks later I went in to buy some more (they were less than half the hardware store price) and the pallet was empty.

monster76 09-03-2012 10:56 AM

ive spent good money and still do with my snap on rep he has no problem with it if i find a good deal on something and purchase it and ask him to warranty it he doesn't mind and yes they do price there tools with the warranty in mind because whether i do it or the original owner of the tool did it, it would still be repaired regardless so if that is sleazy and dishonest, im sorry but in today's economy i cant be spending over $200 a week in tools like i used to.

Steel 09-03-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66GMC (Post 1588035)
And people wonder why (whine about) the high prices of things. It's sad that manufacturers have to build the costs of fraudulent warranty into what they sell.:nono:

I don't understand what is fraudulent about using the warranty that the manufacturer provides. I may be mistaken but Snap-on doesn't stipulate that their product only carries a lifetime warranty if you were the original purchaser.

If their tools wouldn't break the warranty would never be needed. Yes, when you purchase a Snap-on tool you get a lifetime warranty that adds to the price of the item, but ultimately you are paying that price not for the warranty but for the name stamped into the tool......

Hell, even the junk china made tools have lifetime warranties.......

blwn31 09-03-2012 11:13 PM

Snap-On and Craftsman for me.

Keith

matt167 09-04-2012 08:57 AM

Craftsmen, Stanley, Kobalt, and another brand that Carquest now carries. A couple HF sockets mixed in but not many.

I'v never bought broken tools to warranty, but I'v been given broken tools that I'v warrantied.. Snap on Warranty is not an 'original purchaser' warranty, and given stuff can only be warrantied off the truck, or a long process from their website, some people just can't get stuff warrantied. It's no diffrent than if the original purchaser or Ebay seller warrantied it.. Craftsmen is the same way. No questions asked warranty. I found a Craftsmen socket wrench on the side of the road once. Nice cond, but broken teeth. I kept it until I was going into the direction of a Sears store, where I exchanged it for 1 of their recon ratchets. Didn't need new cause I didn't come in with new. Later broke the tip off of it using a pipe on it, so I just chucked it in the scrap pile.. Stanley, is limited warranty and is an original purchaser warranty, If I break a Stanley I don't even bother with the warranty. You have to send the tool to them where they determin if you abused it or not, and you pay postage both ways. There a good deal and I don't break many, so I keep buying the stuff.

chevy302dz 09-20-2012 11:44 PM

Craftsmen, Stanley, Kobalt, and another brand that Carquest now carries. A couple HF sockets mixed in but not many.

I'v never bought broken tools to warranty, but I'v been given broken tools that I'v warrantied.. Snap on Warranty is not an 'original purchaser' warranty, and given stuff can only be warrantied off the truck, or a long process from their website, some people just can't get stuff warrantied. It's no diffrent than if the original purchaser or Ebay seller warrantied it.. Craftsmen is the same way. No questions asked warranty. I found a Craftsmen socket wrench on the side of the road once. Nice cond, but broken teeth. I kept it until I was going into the direction of a Sears store, where I exchanged it for 1 of their recon ratchets. Didn't need new cause I didn't come in with new. Later broke the tip off of it using a pipe on it, so I just chucked it in the scrap pile.. Stanley, is limited warranty and is an original purchaser warranty, If I break a Stanley I don't even bother with the warranty. You have to send the tool to them where they determin if you abused it or not, and you pay postage both ways. There a good deal and I don't break many, so I keep buying the stuff.

Snap On and most other manufacturers do in fact stipulate that the warrenty only applies to the original purchaser.

Fast Orange 09-22-2012 08:34 AM

In regards to the thread starter's original question-
Best Quality,longest lasting screwdrivers I've found are Snap On-pricy,but they will fit and grip screws that others will strip out. When they show signs of wearing out,my SO driver replaces the shank and I'm good to go.
Second best but less costly IMHO is Klein-they're available in the electrical department in Home Depot and Lowes and at most electrical supply stores. Warranty is tougher-the guy in the store makes the determination if something is warrantee-able or not,and they're not too inclined to help you out most of the time. If they warranty something and Klein disagrees,the store takes the hit.
As far as buying and warrantying broken tools,I feel that the warranty has been bought and paid for by the original buyer and should be honored regardless of who now owns the tool,but I understand that SO has a new policy that can require you to show the original reciept for the purchase from SO when you try to get it repaired or replaced...

TWX 10-11-2012 11:26 AM

I've got a mix of Craftsman, SK, Klein, Snapon, and other mid to high end brands in my toolboxes. I'm less happy with Craftsman now that they're making more and more in China, but if you buy from pawn shops the stuff will probably be old enough to be domestic.

For home use you really don't need tool-truck quality for most of the tools. You need a good warranty and some things, like ratchets, that stand up to use. That's where Craftsman is really getting bad- the new ratchets of the standard line just don't last. I have a couple of the high tooth count ratchets from Craftsman but I probably won't buy more of them from them as I'm really dissatisfied with them at the moment.

shed864 10-12-2012 01:35 PM

thx guys the answers really helped me with getting the suitable tools

AutoGear 10-12-2012 02:51 PM

Ive been using hand-me-down handtools for years. S*K has been my favorite; no idea on their quality now that they're owned by Cooper Industries. My dads SK ratchet finally gave up the ghost; I called up a local shop that repped SK and he wanted 25 bucks to sell me the guts for a ratchet, that MIGHT work in my dads old (1970 vintage) ratchet. Screw it; I went to Sears and bought dad a new one. That thing is SUCH a pile with the coarse teeth, and they get so much junk in them they barely cycle after awhile (you can flush them out with PB Blaster, if you remove the snapring too many times it will deform). UGH!

My screwdrivers are Klein, I also have some old Proto (?) I like as well

John long 10-12-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shed864 (Post 1598503)
thx guys the answers really helped me with getting the suitable tools

It is good of you to "shed" light on you new found source, Shed864 :drunk: