Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best Torque converter option for 300ish$

19K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  kc8oye 
#1 ·
I have a rmvb TH400.

I need to buy a torque converter and I have about 300$ for it.. I know that's on the low side but i'm looking for the best I can get for that.

Mostly looking for help with brand/model here.. Should be around 22-2400 stall.

383ci, vortec heads, Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 270/278
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 219/227
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .515/.530
LSA/ICL: 112/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1800-6000

1982 Chevy silverado. 3:73 rear gear.

#3 ·
Agree, the "bright Green one" from Freakshow Performance. These guy's are getting an awfully good reputation in a very short time around the racing community for building a really quality product that meets your performance goals, on a custom made for you basis as far as hitting the stall rpm you want perfectly.

Builder used to be one of the guys at ******* Performance Transmission, before they went under in the 2009-2010 Country-wide financial meltdown.

******* had a great rep for quality work also.

#4 ·
I ran a freakshow 4200 stall in my 406, Even though it seemed good, The mounting hubs on it were too thick, right there on the flexplate with the converter all the way seated, I'm sure it didn't hurt anything, The flash stall was close but not where it should have been. Great customer service though, I went to send the converter back for adjustment & the f*ckin USPS lost it, then gave me the run-around even with it insured. So much for that 400.00 bucks.

I have always run PTC converters & will stay with them from now on, Kenny is one of the best in the business IMO, His converters are dead nuts on there flash stall, Plus all of his converters come with Ballooning plates for nitrous.

Performance Torque Converters - Performance Torque Converters

Heres the one you want, They will flash as high as 2800.

http://www.ptcrace.com/torque-converter-p-1259.html

#6 ·
Ive been recommending Freakshow for awhile and Im a manual guy LOL. Superb service; and for the price, its way more than you'd expect for the money. Is it going to be as good as a Hughes or Coan for twice the price (or more)? Maybe not; but for 90% of the world, they're everything you need and then some.
Before *******; he worked for Art Carr incidentally.

#7 ·
Converter came in :)

When I called to order it the guy was very friendly to talk to and asked me some questions about purpose for vehicle and tire size.

I messed up and told him my tires were 33" :drunk: but by the end of the phone call I did correct myself and gave him a 29" measurement.

I stated the truck was to be a daily driver and I told him I have 400 horse power. It arrived really fast I feel like the price was good at 320$ and I am happy with the mean green. :evil:

I am curious if you guys think the stall is too high though. It just has
"3-380" written in sharpie on the converter so that's all I know, haha.
Freakshow said they would get me something "tight" and I trust them so I do plan on running this converter but a little group insight is always educational..for me anyways!

I've got tranny coolers to install.!

Attachments

#8 ·
The "3-380" is not any direct RPM reference to being a stall rpm, it is just an ID number to indicate what core it is, fin angle's on interior parts and possibly stator type inside the converter, so that the manufacturers can ID the contents without having to cut it open to find out.

Or a work order/shop internal ID reference for tracking.

#11 ·
I first heard about Michael Reeves who is the owner, builder of Freakshow a year or so ago on Yellowbullet website. Those guys really like his T/C and never one negative comment. I called him and discussed my needs so he is going to build my T/C for the T400/507" Cadillac. Really can't beat the price for all the things he does to the unit.

#12 ·
I've recommended Freakshow to a number of locals (and I handle stickshifts for a living). His turn around is amazing; willingness to work with a customer is very impressive and one of the fellas I know has a BISCAYNE in the 11.50s with a 496 and a 4L60e. He had some issues with the car, Michael was very patient and helped sort out the driveline. Terry (car owner) wanted to send the converter back; and he assured us he had done right and that it was in the trans programming and launch technique. He was correct. The car came around just like he said and runs 11.50s like clockwork. First time I saw a slime green $300 converter from eBay; I just about died; I was VERY skeptical. He made me a believer.

#13 ·
I am very pleased with the service and product but a little more info about the converter on a piece of paper in the box sitting next to a sticker goes a long way with me, haha. I like stickers. *twitch.
I guess he only sells 9.5'' converters but zero info listed on the invoice. The ebay ad is very informative though so can't really complain but a stall speed would have been nice. And a sticker. :(

#14 ·
I am very pleased with the service and product but a little more info about the converter on a piece of paper in the box sitting next to a sticker goes a long way with me, haha. I like stickers. *twitch.
I guess he only sells 9.5'' converters but zero info listed on the invoice. The ebay ad is very informative though so can't really complain but a stall speed would have been nice. And a sticker. :(

#16 ·
I just replaced my failing Daaco 2400 stall converter with a Summit Racing 2600 stall. Only have a few miles on it so far.. but I like it!! on street tires with a 300hp 350 and 2.73 pegleg out back.. it broke the right rear loose around 2200 stall.. so I figure on slicks with a posi, I should be able to get 2600 out of it :)

it drives a lot better too.. not sure if that's the converter.. or just a statement on how bad the old one was...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.