Hot Rod Forum banner

Best Torque Plan

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  joie383 
#1 ·
Hey I was just wondering.
Can anyone tell me the best components to upgrade for torque. Because im young and i do like to race my 67 mustang but i dont need i high top end so that i stack ticket upon ticket so im thinking my best way to race and not get in to much trouble is torque.I know headers, carb, cam, cylinder heads to go with cam, but thats about all i can think of.
Thanks.

#2 ·
That is about it.

Just pick parts for torque: short duration cam, aftermarket cylinder heads with small intake runners, small tube headers, dual plane intake, ect.

FYI, more torque will make your car faster than more HP if you are using 3.55 gears and lower.

#5 ·
its a 289, right now 2bbl holly carb, custom 2 inch exhaust (with stock exhaust manifold) and the standard 3 speed. And as far as the cam cam goes, for torque i would need a short duration cam? vs if i was going for hp a high duration. and if short duration then wouldn't stock heads work with anything that
is lower than what i have now?

#7 ·
Install headers (ford small blocks love headers!!) and a X pipe

Install an Edelbrook Performer Intake

Install a Holley 600 carb with vacuum secondaries

Install a cam with 205 to 212 degrees duration at 0.050"

Switch to electronic ignition

And if you have a bunch of extra money left over, get a set of aftermarket cylinder heads. Like a set of trick flow twisted wedge.

#8 ·
I was thinking about another option for you. GEARS!

You might consider leaving the engine alone for awhile and upgrading the transmission and rear diff. I'm not a ford guy, but a T5 5 speed from a late model mustang and a limited slip diff with 3.50 or 3.70 gears would really get your car moving. Your little 289 will not need to work so hard if you give it some leverage. That 3 speed and 3.00 gear is a big load on the engine.

Then later, maybe just a header and manifold swap would be good.

#9 ·
I`d use the pieces already mentioned, and I would add them to a 351W, more stroke more torque, a 289 has a big 4 inch bore and under a 3 inch stroke, the 302 isn`t much better as it`s stroke is only 3.000, both were meant more as high revvers than torque engines, the 351W has plenty of torque with it`s longer stroke, with the right parts and gears, it`ll make plenty of torque.

#10 · (Edited)
I halve a T bird with a 351 and a roller cam out of a GT mustang and a ford explorer intake It has torque It has the stock 302 heads they suck.It wouldn't be that hard to switch to fuel injection.I had to use a ECM out of a Lincoln mark7 and 19LB injectors to get it to work I also used a 65mm throttle body of of ebay and a cheep pair of flow teck headers and 2.5" pipes and a 2,000 RPM stall and 3.73 gears from a turbo coupe am guessing I make over 350FT LBS and around 275 hp I get around 20MPG its great and I only halve spent about $1,500 on the hole project because most of the parts where from a junk yard.Its a very low end torque motor I shift a 5,000 RPM.

Also what you could do is get a roller short block like a low out pout 302 for cheep and use your heads and intake on it.The switch to roller cam is worth it my GT cam came out of a 93 mustang witch has 444"lift and 266* duration and with a 1.7 roller rocker it would be 473" the cam, roller lifters, timing chain, push rods, and other hard ware cost me $95 on ebay with S&H

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.