Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best for Torque: Rams Horn or Headers??Help today! 6/14.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I just looked at this engine performance book that i have which has numerous dyno test in it. It compared unequal length shorties to equal length shorties to long tube headers on a modified 302 ford. At only 2000 rpms the long tube headers outpaced the other ones by 4hp and out peaked the others by 12hp at 5400rpms. The lesser low end power maker of the bunch was the equal length shorties. Now thats looking at horsepower. From what i have read or looked at it seems to be that whenever there is low hp at low rpms there is usually higher torque at the same rpm as compared to higher hp at low rpms. Does that make since? Meaning you almost always have to trade off torque or hp. If you want big torque, you will loose big hp. If you want big hp you will loose big torque. So with this in mind since the equal length shorties made the least amount of low rpm hp, they probably made the greatest amount of low rpm torque. The book only shows hp numbers though. So maybe equal length shortie headers are the best way to go.