Best Trangulated 4 Bar Set Up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best Trangulated 4 Bar Set Up

Well To Start This Is Going Into A 32 Chevy 2 Dr Sedan That Has A Leaf Spring Suspension At This Time. The 4 Link Will Be Using Air Bags Mounted In Front Of The Axle Due To Space Problems At The Rear. The Front Suspension Is A 6 Inch Drop Axle With 1 Inch Lower Parallel Leaf Springs With Timbren Rubber Springs Over The Axle To Help and will remain as installed.
The Idea With This Set Up Is To Have A Good Launch At The Strip (10% ) And Good Street Manners (90%) The Reason To Kick The Leaf Springs To The Curb Is Axle Wrap. The axle wrap is bad due To The De Arched And Chromed Springs. The Pinion Angle Was Hard To Maintain And The Springs Would Hit The Bottom Side Of The Chassis About 11 Inches From The Front Spring Hanger.

I Was Looking For Info On The Best Triangulated 4 Bar Set Up And Found A Couple Of Responses on this site And An Excel Spread Sheet. That Lets You Put In Variables.
But.. I Have Some Questions. Looking At The Start Up File I Need To Know What The Desired Outcome Is ? Is It The Base Answers Or Is There A Preferred Summary? Where Should The Anti-squat Be? Roll Center? Roll Axis? Ic-x? And Ic-z?
With My Design The Info Is--------- As=39%, Rch=12", Raa=-1,
Ic-x Axis =86", Ic-z Axis =9"
I Would Assume This Is Wrong? But I Do Not Know The Preferred Dims. Help!!!! Is There A Web Site To Go To For This Info?

Thanks In Advance
Lance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Most of the rodders I know use a TCI or other brand 4 bar. BUT most of the rodders I am talking about have 32's.......just not Chevrolets....they have 32 Fords.

The principal is the same.....
I believe you could adapt one very easy..I know I could....

This is the 4 bar I just put under my 32 Ford 3W chassis. I am using a 9 inch Ford rear, stock frame rails that are boxed for strength and jigged in a frame jig.

The longer the bars.........the longer the arc.....so you get less pinion movement degree wise.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-017S.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	7891   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-018S.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	7892   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-019S.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	7893  
Old 11-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kWIK32
Well To Start This Is Going Into A 32 Chevy 2 Dr Sedan Lance

As a Moderator here, I would like to WELCOME YOU HERE....

Lots of knowledgeable folks here.....
Enjoy......

Old 11-17-2005, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

Thanks For The Info

My Problem Is There Is No Room For The Bars To Go Directly To The Frame At A 45 Deg Angle. The Battery Is On The Pass. Side And There Is No Place To Relocate It To . My Top Bars Go Forward To A Point On Either Side Of The Drive Shaft Near The Tail Shaft Of The Trans.
My Chassis Is Boxed And "k" Members Have Been Added. And The Front Bar Ends Are Supported To The "k" Members. Kind Of Like A Reversed P&j Ladder Bar Set Up On Top. The Bottom Bars Go Rearward From The Original Spring Supports And Connect To Typ. Axle Connectors.
Total Angle For The Top Bars Is 34 Deg Total. The Reason I Was Looking For The Tech Info Was Because Of The Variation!
I Will Post Some Pictures Monday Of Next Week So You Can See
What I Am Talking About!

Thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 01:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kWIK32
Well To Start This Is Going Into A 32 Chevy 2 Dr Sedan That Has A Leaf Spring Suspension At This Time. The 4 Link Will Be Using Air Bags Mounted In Front Of The Axle Due To Space Problems At The Rear. The Front Suspension Is A 6 Inch Drop Axle With 1 Inch Lower Parallel Leaf Springs With Timbren Rubber Springs Over The Axle To Help and will remain as installed.
The Idea With This Set Up Is To Have A Good Launch At The Strip (10% ) And Good Street Manners (90%) The Reason To Kick The Leaf Springs To The Curb Is Axle Wrap. The axle wrap is bad due To The De Arched And Chromed Springs. The Pinion Angle Was Hard To Maintain And The Springs Would Hit The Bottom Side Of The Chassis About 11 Inches From The Front Spring Hanger.

I Was Looking For Info On The Best Triangulated 4 Bar Set Up And Found A Couple Of Responses on this site And An Excel Spread Sheet. That Lets You Put In Variables.
But.. I Have Some Questions. Looking At The Start Up File I Need To Know What The Desired Outcome Is ? Is It The Base Answers Or Is There A Preferred Summary? Where Should The Anti-squat Be? Roll Center? Roll Axis? Ic-x? And Ic-z?
With My Design The Info Is--------- As=39%, Rch=12", Raa=-1,
Ic-x Axis =86", Ic-z Axis =9"
I Would Assume This Is Wrong? But I Do Not Know The Preferred Dims. Help!!!! Is There A Web Site To Go To For This Info?

Thanks In Advance
Lance
You want to have the roll center somewhere around tire centerline as that is about where it is located on a leaf sprung suspension.

The roll axis should not be in the oversteer region for a street car. I have heard that g-bodies came with about 10deg roll understeer (which sounds like a huge amount to me). My guess is GM used that much to compensate for the compliance steer caused by the soft rubber bushings. If you use more solid link ends you can use less.

Because your reason for installing the link suspension is to get rid of axle wrap you should use quality Teflon lined spherical rod ends or spherical bearings. Personally I would use spherical bearings in the lower links and make them out of box tubing strong enough so you could put a floor jack under them and use spherical rod ends on the upper links for adjustment of pinion angle and side to side location.

Make the anti-squat adjustable so you can figure out where you like it best. Putting some extra holes in the frame brackets for the upper control arms is a good way to do this. For drag racing 100% would be ideal. For street manners I am sure something more like 10-30% would be ideal (guess).
If you make it adjustable you won't have to compromise except on the drive to and back from the track.

Within reason let the IC be where it wants to be (i.e. design for anti-squat).

If anyone is wants to mess with it I have just put up a HTML version that someone made of my older calculator.
http://mysite.verizon.net/triaged/4linkcalcv15html/

Would anyone else do it differently?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:48 AM

Last journal entry: 500" roller motor for the coupe
Last photo:

This is an incredible tool! Nice work (though I dont think I understand everything )
Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

Kwik32

Its a good start for designing a 4 bar. With its help I designed a system on my 32 chevy sedan and the end result was a great! If you have any questions e-mail me.

lance

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.