Best tranny behind a 500 hp bracket racer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 01:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best tranny behind a 500 hp bracket racer?

1979 Camaro, not gutted. 3500 lbs. Very well built engine putting out about 500 hp and 475 ft. lbs. torque. Probably high 11's in the quarter, with slicks, 3000 stall, etc. It has a turbo 350 in it, but it's basically stock except for a shift kit. I'm considering a turbo 400 or a powerglide. I'm being told that the 350 probably won't last long. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2005, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Glide.

Turbo 400 sucks up a LOT of power just to operate it.

Good friend of mine runs a 434 Reher Morrison sb in a 68 Camaro,
just tubbed, otherwise full body, TCI glide, 10" slicks, pretty deep
gears (5:34's I think), thru the traps around 7k,
something like 3500 or 4k stall. Runs mid/hi 8's depending on
1 or 2 4's and with or without a 150 shot. 2 gears is all he needs.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

transmission

You will probably get a bunch of different ideas on this one!!!! Here is my .02

A car with 3 gears will always be faster then a car with 2 if everything else is equal... like traction, converter stall, weight, the amount of hp needed to run the trans etc,etc....
It works that way because you can keep the engine in the rpm range needed for the most usable hp. Think of it this way if your engine makes peak hp at 7500 rpm and you could hold the engine at exactly that spot for the entire 1/4 mile you would run the fastest time....

That being said,,if you are just interested in bracket racing you should probably run a glide. They are easy to get, light, average in the cost dept. And the most important they are consistant.

Me personally i run th-350's just because everyone says you can't!!!!!

Keith
K-star automotive
performance engines
Old 03-05-2005, 07:39 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-star
Me personally i run th-350's just because everyone says you can't!!!!!

Keith
K-star automotive
performance engines
And, me personally, I run T-400 because even though they do use up some h.p., I NEVER have to worry about losing high gear in the middle of a race!!!!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:31 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

tranny

powerglide with tranny brake.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:39 AM

Call the nice man at ATI and ask him. Thats what we did. we had a 400 turbo that needed freshening and he said that scrapping that 400 and putting in a glide would cut 0.50 off of elasped times. Well we didnt believe that for a minute because we thought 3 speeds were necessary to keep the rpm in the torque range. In an attempt to disprove him and to prove to our selves what we believed as self evident, we installed the two speed and bigger then ****, first time off of the trailor the car was a half second faster then it had ever been. I wanna say that this was back in the late 80s or early 90s and nothin that I am aware of has changed.

70 Nova with small block flat tappet cam with headers and an intake. 3300# was running 11.70s with three speed and immediately started running 11.20s with two speed and no other changes. We also noted a dramatic change for the better with regard to the consistency on the slips.

Car now runs 10.60s with a roller small block and 2 speed. I like it when I spank those big block guys with 3 speeds with my 302 and glide.

I would have a different opinion if you were running a short stroked big block with a huge cam and tunnel ram with two fours and giant ports. In that case I would direct you to a 5 speed that would allow you to keep those rpms between 9000 and 10,000.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

powerglide if it's for track duty, th-400 or a built up th-350 if you're runing it around on the streets alot; that 3rd gear would help make a decent highway rpm, along with 3.73s or milder gears.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

3rd gear on a Th350 is the same ratio as High on a Glide 1:1.

The Th350 is more than adequate for a 500 Hp/475 TQ car.

I have them running 10's in a 3600 lb cars without any issues, they aren't fancy, and I'm just a garage builder.

You need to have the directs dual fed, which almost all hot rod type shift kits provide on a Th350.
Same on a 400, the directs need to be dual fed or 3rd WILL go away under power.
TransGo is the only bolt in kit that does it in a 400 though...

I recommend a TransGo kit in the 350 and 400. On the 350 I drill the feed holes a little bigger than TransGo makes them... No option in the instructions to do this like their 400 kit..

A Th350 with a hardened sprag race, TransGo kit, doubled up sun gear bushings, 5 clutch direct, and otherwise good build will handle 600 lb ft consistantly.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Maynard
Call the nice man at ATI and ask him. Thats what we did. we had a 400 turbo that needed freshening and he said that scrapping that 400 and putting in a glide would cut 0.50 off of elasped times. Well we didnt believe that for a minute because we thought 3 speeds were necessary to keep the rpm in the torque range. In an attempt to disprove him and to prove to our selves what we believed as self evident, we installed the two speed and bigger then ****, first time off of the trailor the car was a half second faster then it had ever been. I wanna say that this was back in the late 80s or early 90s and nothin that I am aware of has changed.

70 Nova with small block flat tappet cam with headers and an intake. 3300# was running 11.70s with three speed and immediately started running 11.20s with two speed and no other changes. We also noted a dramatic change for the better with regard to the consistency on the slips.

Car now runs 10.60s with a roller small block and 2 speed. I like it when I spank those big block guys with 3 speeds with my 302 and glide.

I would have a different opinion if you were running a short stroked big block with a huge cam and tunnel ram with two fours and giant ports. In that case I would direct you to a 5 speed that would allow you to keep those rpms between 9000 and 10,000.

Funny thing the exact oppisite happened to us... 406 in a back half 67 camaro 10.2's with the brake glide..10.00 with the non brake TH-350 and we used the same converter... nothing else cahnged. We even swapped it back and the car went back to running 10.2

Keith

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.