Best trunk splatter paint & application - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best trunk splatter paint & application

I am currently finishing the floorboards in my '64 Corvair convertible, and I think the trunk wil be my next project. The trunk is in decent shape, with most of the splatter paint still intact. I just need to fix the minor rust to get it ready for paint. My question is this: What splatter paint source have you guys used in your cars? Have you had good success with the spray can water-based paint that has to be sealed with clear, or do you like the paint that is applied by gun? I searched the forums to see if this has been covered already, but found very little.

Guys, thanks for all the info you pass on---I personally have learned volumes about hotrodding and restoration!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 11:13 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

not having a decent gun i just went with the dupli-color trunk paint with the clear. i either washed my car or left it in the rain, but either way if got soaked with water and it didn't phase it. the cans of paint were about $7ea. and it took three for my camaro. two looked like it was okay, but when i shone light on it a particular way you could see it wasnt good enough so got another one. i was pretty impressed with the results. i left the primered areas priimered and only went over the trunk where the factory did it. then clear coated the hell out of it and good thing too. total cost about $25.00. i removed the white light buckets as well and painted them white. now i have to paint my spare tire and my jack because they look like crap inside a nice new trunk! i put new black tape on the wire loom. looks like new. it probably wouldnt matter if you left your lights in and painted them with trunk paint tho. depends on how Psycho you want to get. i used some marhyde or whatever brand of rust converter in a spray can to cover all the minor rust first. it takes 8 hours to dry to paint. that is another $10. dont forget to do that, you dont want to paint over rust. i dont have pictures of my trunk in the journal or album for some reason

Last edited by bullheimer; 07-21-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

Thanks, I feel like my trunk won't take much effort, so I'm trying to get that done early in the game. I hope to get it done before winter (no garage yet). Thanks for the advice on the rust coverage, I have been cleaning everything very well and applying POR-15 to the cleaned-up metal. I found out that if I use their TIECOAT primer over the POR-15 that I have been able to topcoat with other finishes, so the spray can paint should be a no-brainer. I'm getting together pictures of my project, and will post some as soon as I can.

Thanks Again!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:33 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

I think this depends on how accurate you want it to be. If you just want something splattered or if you want something that looks original.

This is the best I have seen hands down

Rich
Old 07-21-2005, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Rich, I Agree. I recently used the same stuff and it's the best match in a single stage application available. I had five original cars 69-72 in my parts car collection that had original splatter paint intact for comparison and this stuff was really close. Looking at the different examples it was apparent that the factory did apply this with different air pressures as some cars have perfect round aqua dots and others are stringy looking as though the impact was as a much higher pressure. I doubt this stuff is the exact same material the factory used but it's very close for sure.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 PM
The Painter That Knows All !

Last photo:

try some dupont 25p epoxy
Old 07-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

Thanks again guys. By the way, I figured out how to upload some photos of my Corvair project into my photo album, so check them out if you want. They are from early this Spring when I had the remaining interior stripped-out so I could start the clean-up and prep for paint. Most of the brown you see is the factory red primer still intact. I am happy with the condition of this car, and am enjoying it very much. Any Corvair owners with advice or resto stories feel free to post them!

Thanks to Hotrodders Bulletin Board for giving us space to upload projects for others to view!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Bob what gun did you spray with?

I never really thought much about it but since you said something about "pressure" I am wondering if I would have more control over the dots using my model 7 instead of the HVLP?

Rich
Old 07-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

Rich, I used my Gravity feed cheapo primer gun, I think it has a 2.0 tip and it sprayed just fine. Your old Binks probably has a 1.7? but it'll take more pressure to get it through the gun I bet. Do a test spray I guess. This stuff works best over a black base, black epoxy works well but I applied a black satin singlestage and scuffed that with a grey scotchbrite. You'll need to put whatever black down first then apply your bodycolor to the hinge areas and also overspray the package tray bottom with body color then apply your splatter paint and take it over onto the body color just a bit- at least that's how I did it. The coverage is good-I only needed 1 pint. Bob
Old 07-22-2005, 03:06 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Thanks Bob.

My car is the same way as far as overspray. Or close I guess. The trunk is currently all DP90 (original DP) already. So after I paint the car ( and hinges, etc) I will just scuff it and shoot.

I dont remember what tip(s) I have for the Binks but will put the biggest in and let her fly !

A pint huh? One of the guys I know that just used it said it took him over a quart. I could not imagine how that could be. Based on what you said I am guessing it does not cover well and he tried to do it over gray or something.

Rich
Old 07-22-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintTech Instructor
try some dupont 25p epoxy
WHAT?? EPOXY THE QUESTION WAS ABOUT SPATTER PAINT NOT EPOXY PRIME???
Old 07-24-2005, 12:27 AM
The Painter That Knows All !

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat
WHAT?? EPOXY THE QUESTION WAS ABOUT SPATTER PAINT NOT EPOXY PRIME???
its not a primer its a clooerd pnait and the msot dubrale for toapotincg any surcfae ilcuinndg bare matel or pre panteid area you can rlol it srpay it or mtlui txtreue it and eevn use deinerft cloros for a slttaepr cloor it lkoos like the real bnledeir sfutf lol theres to your EBONICS LAMERS ON THIS SITE
Old 07-24-2005, 12:35 AM
alex p

Last journal entry: AHH
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintTech Instructor
its not a primer its a clooerd pnait and the msot dubrale for toapotincg any surcfae ilcuinndg bare matel or pre panteid area you can rlol it srpay it or mtlui txtreue it and eevn use deinerft cloros for a slttaepr cloor it lkoos like the real bnledeir sfutf lol theres to your EBONICS LAMERS ON THIS SITE

i cant read chinese
Old 07-24-2005, 08:42 AM

what is wrong with this guy??
Old 08-01-2005, 11:00 PM

splatter

Don't take it personal.
my nova trunk I used spray cans of undercoating followed by spray cans of splatter paint. Not factory but I like the way it turned out. Nice and clean and a good contrast to the paint color.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.