Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The best V-8 ever made
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate
this series ford engine had combustion chambers in the cylenders, a flat head same as 348 409 gm.the top of the block was on a angle to the bore a perfect wedge, like the 348s it was costly to build and to rebuild required some spesial tooling to bore the cyls.
Thanks Cliff. I am not sure I ever saw one apart.
Here's more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Well, I can't really tell you more than you'll find on the internet, but its an Edsel and I ended up with it through dumb luck. It was originally going to be used for an old Ford project truck, but it never happened and after sitting for a decade it was given to me. I'll eventually freshen it up a bit with new rings, valve guides, and bearings, not to mention a port ad polish job, but what I'm really interested to know is which parts can be swapped over from other Ford bigblocks. I'd like to make a decent hotrod engine out of it- maybe like 600 horse NA.
ap72 = Thank you for the information.
MEL 410s are very very very rare. It is a totally different engine design. Nothing fits. Sell it to some Edsel guys or keep it as a curiosity, don't junk it.

Speed parts were made around 59-64 but finding something will be next to impossible. These were not popular then. They never were more than torque monsters, especially the Lincoln 462, with limited rpm capability due to the internal weight. Kanter or somebody might have internal parts.(?)

Think of this: the FE and the MEL came out at the same time (1958) = the FE survives, the MEL didn't. The 385 series (429-460 cubes) replaced the MEL.

Sell it to some Edsel guys.

Skip the whole MEL idea and do a newer 385 series 429/460 from an early 70s car or maybe a 390 FE, depending on how many cubes you want to feed.

Judge your cube desire and start with a factory engine of that size. A factory 460 is much less expensive than stroking a FE to 454.

thanks, x