The best V-8 ever made - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Best V-8?
Chevy Big Block 52 11.13%
Chevy Small Block 245 52.46%
Chyrsler "B" Big Block 400 1 0.21%
Chyrsler "LA" Small Block 340-360 12 2.57%
Chyrsler "RB" Hemi 426 52 11.13%
Ford Big Block 429-460 11 2.36%
Olds Rocket 18 3.85%
Ford "FE" 390-427 or Cleveland 351, specify in post 28 6.00%
Ford "Windsor" 351 and for arguments sake 302 28 6.00%
Pontiac 350-400 20 4.28%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Cliff, My Party Be Nice And Dry. I Never Said CHEVY Had A 235 In '47.I Know About The 216's They Were Fine In Their Day Time Goes On And Technology Improves. Remember The CHEVIES Were OHV And Comparable In Size To The Various flatheads. Both Could Be Bored And Stroked. The Old Timers Maintained Emphatically The 235's And 261's Could And Did Eat flatheads. The One Race I Saw (Nostalgia Drags) Had A Similar Outcome. Furthermore A Close Friend Had Been In The Logging Industry And Told Me About How He Could Consistently Pull His Loaded CHEVY SIX Past The Fully Loaded flatheads Uphill. Based On What I've Seen And Heard, Even Though This Was Before My Time, I Have Absolutely No Problem Believing That An OHV Six Could Outrun A flathead Six Or V-8 Of Comparable Size. Indeed, flatheads Soon Faded From The Automotive Scene And Now Are Relegated To Powering Welders, ETC. Oh And My Old Lawnmower, Yeah Its A flathead Briggs. Even With A Couple Of Strombergs It Wont Run With My OHV Tecumseh! By The Way I Had A 250 Inline Six Powered Nova In Highschool That Gave The V-8's Fits. And All Those Guys Knew I Could Have A V-8 In There Over The Weekend If That Wasn't Enough. They Chose To Leave Me Alone. Wise Choice, Wise Indeed! MD

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2005, 04:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHRKEAU
Hey Cliff, My Party Be Nice And Dry. I Never Said CHEVY Had A 235 In '47.I Know About The 216's They Were Fine In Their Day Time Goes On And Technology Improves. Remember The CHEVIES Were OHV And Comparable In Size To The Various flatheads. Both Could Be Bored And Stroked. The Old Timers Maintained Emphatically The 235's And 261's Could And Did Eat flatheads. The One Race I Saw (Nostalgia Drags) Had A Similar Outcome. Furthermore A Close Friend Had Been In The Logging Industry And Told Me About How He Could Consistently Pull His Loaded CHEVY SIX Past The Fully Loaded flatheads Uphill. Based On What I've Seen And Heard, Even Though This Was Before My Time, I Have Absolutely No Problem Believing That An OHV Six Could Outrun A flathead Six Or V-8 Of Comparable Size. Indeed, flatheads Soon Faded From The Automotive Scene And Now Are Relegated To Powering Welders, ETC. Oh And My Old Lawnmower, Yeah Its A flathead Briggs. Even With A Couple Of Strombergs It Wont Run With My OHV Tecumseh! By The Way I Had A 250 Inline Six Powered Nova In Highschool That Gave The V-8's Fits. And All Those Guys Knew I Could Have A V-8 In There Over The Weekend If That Wasn't Enough. They Chose To Leave Me Alone. Wise Choice, Wise Indeed! MD
haveing spent19 years in a logging camp in the early days the50s ther wher only 2 manufacturers ford and chrysler that would live, they powered pickups yarders log loaders lumber carriers never saw a gm powered any thing until the60s that was vancouver islandther was the odd cadilac but they wher the flatheadversions not that i have any thing against ovhv it was the early chev 6s had such a poor lube system and burnt valves consistently. other arias could be different but that was the fact on the island
Old 11-04-2005, 05:15 PM

Last journal entry: I've Changed My Project
Last photo:

I still have to go with the SBC.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:32 PM

Not That I'm A Champion Of Splash Lube Systems, But They Did Work. Trick Was Oil Level Had To Be Kept Up To Full Or Close For The Splash System To Be Effective. Those That Figured That Out Ran The 216's Quite A Long Time. In The Southeastern US Where It Is Much Hotter The Trucks Were CHEVY 261's With The Occasional GMC. The CHEVIES Pulled Like Hell And Could Also Handle The Increasing Highway Speeds. IHC Was The Third Most Common Woods Truck But Came Apart At High Revs. flatheads Ran Hot And Cracked Heads. Less Torque, Three Mains Also Drawback. The Sawmills Were Frequently Powered By Inline Six CHEVY Or Straight Eight Buick Before GM Diesels Took Over. The GM V-6's Became Popular In The Woods As Did The 292 CHEVIES And Big Blocks. Now If You See A Gas Engined Truck (Most Of The Smaller Ones Are), They Are 292, Small Valve 2-Barrell 350's, And The Tall Deck Big Blocks-366,427,454. The 292, Though Smallest, Are Still Making Legends. Extremely Torquey, Extremely Durable, And Can Rev Up And Stay Together. Also Less Fuel Consumption. Down Here You Have To Keep One Truck For The Purpose Of Pressure Washing Radiators And Fluid Coolers. I Sold A Man An HD 3/4 Ton 4X4 Chevy Just For That Purpose. It Was A '76 That Was Used To Push A Snow Plow For 11 Years Then It Came South. Road Salt Damaged The Body But It Still Pulled, Had Original Axles And T-Case And Over1,000,000 On It When I Sold It! It Is Still Bouncing Around The Woods With A Hundred Gallon Water Tank And A Pressure Washer. And Its A Freakin TH350 (If It Was A Granny Low 4-Speed, I Would Have Kept It And Converted It To Nv4500 Some Day.) MD
Old 11-04-2005, 10:21 PM

Once Upon A Time
Back In The Olden Days,
Some Bozo Said To Other Bozos,
"Why Don't We Race fords Against CHEVROLETS?"

They Lined 'Em Up And The flathead Boys
Said,"Holy #%@&, Oops, Were Dead.
Look At That 235,
Its Got Its Valves In The Head!"

The ford Boys Knew They Were Doomed,
ford Talk Is No Match For CHEVY Power,
He Laughed So Hard He Dropped The Mike,
The Dude Up In The Tower!

The Flagman Brought Down A Flag And Facemask,
Said,"I'll Be Breathing Much Smoke I Fear,
Quaker Maid From The Pipes Of The ford,
And Clouds From The CHEVYS Goodyears!"

He Dropped The Flag, The Race Was On,
The ford It Went To Wheezzin',
The CHEVY Raced On Down The Track,
Overhead Valves Were Just A,Breathin'!

The CHEVY Crossed The Line First Of Course,
Yet Another Trophy For The Shelf,
The ford Sat There At The Starting Line,
Engine Blown,Oil Everywhere, Yet Another DNF!

ford Learned Its Lesson That Day,
With All Its Wanna Be Trucks And Cars,
From Here On Out When They Line Up To Race,
It'll Be Other fords Or slopars!
Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHRKEAU
Once Upon A Time
Back In The Olden Days,
Some Bozo Said To Other Bozos,
"Why Don't We Race fords Against CHEVROLETS?"

They Lined 'Em Up And The flathead Boys
Said,"Holy #%@&, Oops, Were Dead.
Look At That 235,
Its Got Its Valves In The Head!"

The ford Boys Knew They Were Doomed,
ford Talk Is No Match For CHEVY Power,
He Laughed So Hard He Dropped The Mike,
The Dude Up In The Tower!

The Flagman Brought Down A Flag And Facemask,
Said,"I'll Be Breathing Much Smoke I Fear,
Quaker Maid From The Pipes Of The ford,
And Clouds From The CHEVYS Goodyears!"

He Dropped The Flag, The Race Was On,
The ford It Went To Wheezzin',
The CHEVY Raced On Down The Track,
Overhead Valves Were Just A,Breathin'!

The CHEVY Crossed The Line First Of Course,
Yet Another Trophy For The Shelf,
The ford Sat There At The Starting Line,
Engine Blown,Oil Everywhere, Yet Another DNF!

ford Learned Its Lesson That Day,
With All Its Wanna Be Trucks And Cars,
From Here On Out When They Line Up To Race,
It'll Be Other fords Or slopars!
a goodpoem, but the woods in florada a 6in tree is not a log ours wher 6feet at 3000 ft above the sea
Old 11-05-2005, 03:42 PM

Never Tried To Cut A Cypress Tree Have Ya? Plus Them Pines And Oaks At 6 Inches We Call A Sapling. Make Ya Wish Ya Had Diamonds In Your Chain! By The Way Did Ya Say 3000 Ft Above Sea Level? The Air Gets Thinner, Right? Perhaps This Explains The Above Average Size Of Pamela Andersons Lungs!?LOL MD
Old 11-05-2005, 04:16 PM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Is this still goin' on. I've created a monster. But the poem is true. I've got video of my '46 before I disected her with the original 216.5 in her blowing the doors off a '49 merc and a '52 dodge. Three abreast down the county raod. Totall cargazmic!!!!! lol Cheers!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:03 PM
mini me

Last photo:

all in favor of retireing this thread say "i"

"i"
Old 11-19-2005, 02:56 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

I dont know about best, as far as reliable, Id say the HO 302 HDY roller engines will be one of the best of all time...

SBC's the Small journal 327, and I like the 283, the 283 isnt much for drag racing but can produce alot of torque for small CID...

I also like the FE 390 Dang good truck engine...

The best engine ever produced IMO is the FORD 427 bar none.

2wld4u
Old 11-20-2005, 01:52 PM

Buick 455

Wheres the Buick 455? even though it was lesser known, in 1970 it prouced an awesome ground shredding 510 ft/lbs of torque!!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Yes, I forgot the 455...a monster in it's own right. There were only ten options and the 350 rocket should have been the 455. I think the big heavy parts hurt it's max power potential and that may be why it isn't a higher regarded engine in the racing business. That and the lack of actual engines produced. So many engines ...so little time!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:02 PM

Last journal entry: a good used 350 we installed
Last photo:

sbc like a rock always has been for me i love my little torqee 307 and when she dies ill bore her and rebuild her and use her for many more years just like my wife
Old 12-09-2005, 11:32 PM

best engine ever made?

i like 500 and 472 cadillac engines.torque rules on the street and in their day they were the kings of grunt.1970 cad 500_-550lbs of torque and 400 horses.all in under 4500 rpm.but i also like every big block ever made.ford 427 sideoiler thunder bolts, 429's and 460's. all the hemi's,big buicks,pontiac super duties,427 67 vettes.at one time each engine had its day of glory.in nascar, nhra ,on the street or whatever. i just love american bigblocks.if i had to quickly pick one as a favorite car for nail it and hang on, it would have to be the 1970 454 chevelle.thats just a new guys opinion thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad500
i like 500 and 472 cadillac engines.torque rules on the street and in their day they were the kings of grunt.1970 cad 500_-550lbs of torque and 400 horses.all in under 4500 rpm.but i also like every big block ever made.ford 427 sideoiler thunder bolts, 429's and 460's. all the hemi's,big buicks,pontiac super duties,427 67 vettes.at one time each engine had its day of glory.in nascar, nhra ,on the street or whatever. i just love american bigblocks.if i had to quickly pick one as a favorite car for nail it and hang on, it would have to be the 1970 454 chevelle.thats just a new guys opinion thanks
BTW, I think that Buick 455 stage 1 and Cadillac 500 leave 454 in dust...

And where is a MOPAR RB440 Six-Pack (aka +6)?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.