The best V-8 ever made - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Best V-8?
Chevy Big Block 52 11.13%
Chevy Small Block 245 52.46%
Chyrsler "B" Big Block 400 1 0.21%
Chyrsler "LA" Small Block 340-360 12 2.57%
Chyrsler "RB" Hemi 426 52 11.13%
Ford Big Block 429-460 11 2.36%
Olds Rocket 18 3.85%
Ford "FE" 390-427 or Cleveland 351, specify in post 28 6.00%
Ford "Windsor" 351 and for arguments sake 302 28 6.00%
Pontiac 350-400 20 4.28%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 02:42 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

besides the z-28 302 (old man had 1 in a 3500 lb. 60 willys jeep with a full roll cage. ran 12's). i liked the 358 sb2... small block with heads that look like they belong on a big block (offset rockers).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Cleverly disguised as grownup

Last journal entry: Hollman & Moody
Last photo:

I was always partial to the 440 Max Wedge. I can remember how the highway patrol here in N.C. used to catch just about anything with those BIG Plymouths and the 440 police interceptor. Never had one but I got to ride in a couple of them.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by NXS
Very very few flaws to mention(the 5-7 firing order which Comp Cams has fixed and the timing cover to pan which several aftermarket companies make two piece covers)

CI can vary from 265ci-400 factory.
Virtually equal length runners on the intake make for each cylinder sounding the same and making even HP, great intake and better than average exhaust ports. Supreme interchangeability! rear mount oil pump gotta love it!
The FIRST Chevy V8, the 265, came out without an oil filter.

I look at a 440 and a Chevy small block, and I see the same basic layout, with improvements in the 440. The intake can be removed without draining the water. The oil pump is on the OUTSIDE of the engine, it can be serviced or changed easily. The oil pan has NO problem, it seals well. Distirbutor in the front, no cam flex to worry about. The "Y" block design is now being used in the small block Chevys, but the B Mopar had it back in 1958. 350 cubes coincidentally?

I would rather have a 440 Mopar for an engine, if there were no such things as "brands" and I just had to choose which is better.
I think the Chevy is basically the same engine, and due to it's popularity since it's inception, it would have to be "up there" on anybody's list?

Windsor Fords are compact, lightweight, and if they came out with a better head design would have been much more dominant.

AMC engines are good, but the oil pump relying on the front cover housing is trouble waiting to happen, as well as a couple internal oiling system faults that need addressing.

Lots of the "street cars" had too much as far as head design is concerned. Arguably that's the problem with Hemis, Clevelands, rectangular port BB Chevys, etc.... They needed larger cams, steeper gears, etc... to make them perform.

How can a "best engine" be picked, when every one has it's strengths, and every one has it's drawbacks?
Old 01-19-2005, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

Buicks little 215 get's my vote.

Larry
Old 01-19-2005, 07:14 PM
The lean mean donut machine

Last photo:

ZR1 corvette motors, I think they were the LT5's. High tech powerplants that probably were not built to their potential. Just too darn expensive and rare!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 PM

Best Opposed to What?

Ford's 240/300 inch inline and AMC's 4.o liter inline seem to be fine engines with tremendous ability to withstand abuse.
Not many SBC's will go over 200,000 and still pull hard like an inline will.

Additional Comment:
I voted Pontiac. Seeing how Pontiac has been behind the power and streetrod industry consistantly more than Chevrolet, they also build some of the stronger engines.
The 389 was a very versatile engine that came in many forms. 389, 400, 421, 428 inchers come to mind. I'm not sure about the 455 but would think it's on the same block as the others. People forget about the "Judge"
Aside from that, the slant 6 was one powerful stay together motor too.
For me, if you want brute torque, keep your ponies all inline, and not scattered all over the back 40 like V8's.

Last edited by Driven; 01-21-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Mopar Guy
The FIRST Chevy V8, the 265, came out without an oil filter.

I look at a 440 and a Chevy small block, and I see the same basic layout, with improvements in the 440. The intake can be removed without draining the water. The oil pump is on the OUTSIDE of the engine, it can be serviced or changed easily. The oil pan has NO problem, it seals well. Distirbutor in the front, no cam flex to worry about. The "Y" block design is now being used in the small block Chevys, but the B Mopar had it back in 1958. 350 cubes coincidentally?

I would rather have a 440 Mopar for an engine, if there were no such things as "brands" and I just had to choose which is better.
I think the Chevy is basically the same engine, and due to it's popularity since it's inception, it would have to be "up there" on anybody's list?

Windsor Fords are compact, lightweight, and if they came out with a better head design would have been much more dominant.

AMC engines are good, but the oil pump relying on the front cover housing is trouble waiting to happen, as well as a couple internal oiling system faults that need addressing.

Lots of the "street cars" had too much as far as head design is concerned. Arguably that's the problem with Hemis, Clevelands, rectangular port BB Chevys, etc.... They needed larger cams, steeper gears, etc... to make them perform.

How can a "best engine" be picked, when every one has it's strengths, and every one has it's drawbacks?
As long as we're talking about the 440, why not talk about the relative higher nickle content in the blocks, not to mention the GIANT unbreakable webbing...

Anybody who's actually owned a v8 other than an SBC would know...

K
Old 01-20-2005, 12:31 AM

Oh man. LSx series hand down. Absolutely brutal engineering in that one. Different oiling system, Heads that are practically perfect and can EASILY flow 300+ on a smallblack (thats more than alot of big blocks get), you can change the cam witout pulling ANYTHING other than the timing cover off, reusable o-ring gaskets everywhere, 6-bolt mains, the list goes on...

Unless you've actually torn down an LS1/LS6, then you have no idea what they put in this thing. I think it's as close to perfect as a pushrod motor can get. I run around town with a 500+ HP LT1 every single day, and my friends with modded up LS1's make me look sick at the strip (as well as most everything else street driven). It really is spooky how well engineered the LSx series is.. And they only weigh in at apprx. 550 lb's fully loaded (all accessories).

Hard to beat..

Dave C.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

best engine ever

While arguably not the best engine ever made, but probably the most prolific and enduring, would have to be the Ford Flathead V-8.
That engine probably did more to rev up the hot rod industry than all the other engines you have listed, combined.
It just wont die. Today, there is still speed parts being made for it, in spite of the fact that its last year of production, In the US, anyway, was 1953. Ya just cant keep a good thing down.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

I agree the poll question is not clear enough to give a good answer. What makes one engine better than another or "best" it will depend on what you are looking for.

While I agree the LS series of engine are flat out amazing, I am just an old school kind of guy and can't get into them yet.

The 318 Mopar was (and maybe still is) the engine that was able to make the most HP per cubic inch of any push rod V8. My first car (Plymout Duster) had a 318 in it and boy did I punish it but, was never able to hurt it.

The SBC is kind of like the Powerglide, or Ford 9 inch. Neither were the best in factory form but, with the aftermarket stuff made for them it's hard to beat them (from the stand point of parts availablity, modifying). There is no one correct answer to this poll.

Very good point above about the Flathead Ford, that's where Hot Rodding started.

I like all American V8's (as long as they are Chevy), LOL.

Royce
Old 01-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

1951 - 53 Chrysler hemi. Set the design standard for the compact V8 still in use today, quality construction throughout with high nickle iron castings, hardened exhaust valve seat inserts, dual valve springs, full flow oil filter, dual point distributor, forged steel crank & rods, (all features rarely seen individually in a standard production engine singly, let alone all together) can be built to put out world class horsepower even 50 years after it debuted, and preceded Chevy's first 'landmark' V8 by half a decade.

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 01-20-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

best engine

Since I cut my eye teeth on Flathead Ford V-8's, SBC's, Clevelands, and to some extent FE blocks, It could be rather easy to see my prejudices.

However, I do have to conceed, that second only to the Venerated Ford Flathead, that probably the second engine to emprove the hotrodding industry was, indeed the Mopar Hemis, but, as far as which "modern" engine as seen more life and probably more variations and uses, it would have to be the Small Block Chevy.
Many could argue about this engine or that one, but the facts do remain that its a matter of longevity, and all will have to admit, that when a company comes up with a "Winner" as are the three previously mentioned engines; "If it aint broke, dont fix it" has to be the byword.
With all respect due to the Flathead, time finally caught up with its obsolete design that was in production for over 20 yrs.
The hemi, a great engine, and ahead of its time in head design, unfortunately, probably met its demise as much from production costs as it did the fact that it was made by the smaller member of the big 3, and since it wasnt wearing a bow tie or a blue oval, prevented it from being a more popular engine than it was.
While I am a hard core Ford man, Sorta, Ive seen the small block chevy go through many morphings over the years, and in spite of that, its seniority in age is catching up with it. I fear, too, that we shall all witness the demise of that great milestone of engine tech, into the history books, as its obsolescence becomes more apparent in the near future, just as died the venerable Flathead.
However, I do strongly believe that unless a more viable fuel source than petrolium, that you will continue to see examples of all three of these engines, still revving and stirring the strings of the hearts of hotrodders the world around, even into the 22nd century. And dont discount other fine examples of American engineering, like the Small block Ford, Small block Mopars, and even the occasional Pontiac, Buick, or Olds engine tossed in the frey.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and from that point, I will stand on the premise that The American V-8, generically, is the greatest engine ever built.

PS: That was supposed to be SBF and not SBC.

PPS: If this epistle doesnt bring a patriotic tear to any hotrodders eye, hes got to be one hardhearted, stiff necked, expletive deleted.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:09 PM

Cleveland

I personally think the 351 Cleveland 4V was the finest street strip engine made, ever.

Not many, if any other, engines can deliver a 450+ hp pump gas 351 ci motor with stock cast-iron heads. Even stock, the 330hp Boss 351 motor was outstanding.

The oiling system is adequate, block strength is good, and the stock bottom-end components are very durable.

I don't know how good of a 200,000 mile engine they are, but for the street/strip ride they have awesome performance.

And yes, they are actually pretty easy to find and cheap.

As a very close second, I think the 426 hemi is also an awesome powerplant. I don't have any personal experience with them, though.

Andy
Old 01-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

V8...eh?

Well the Caddy and Olds had the overhead valve design that set the standard . Of course, Chevy had that in their sixes before that (30s)

Overall..........SB Chevy.............

Of course, you probably figured I would say that................

Budget RVs
Old 01-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Re: Cleveland

Quote:
Originally posted by fearsomefairmont
I personally think the 351 Cleveland 4V was the finest street strip engine made, ever.

Not many, if any other, engines can deliver a 450+ hp pump gas 351 ci motor with stock cast-iron heads. Even stock, the 330hp Boss 351 motor was outstanding.

The oiling system is adequate, block strength is good, and the stock bottom-end components are very durable.

I don't know how good of a 200,000 mile engine they are, but for the street/strip ride they have awesome performance.

And yes, they are actually pretty easy to find and cheap.

As a very close second, I think the 426 hemi is also an awesome powerplant. I don't have any personal experience with them, though.

Andy
lol, yeah, the 426 comes in second to the 351. Riiiiiight.

BTW, I know a bunch of 400+ horse factory iron head motors. How about one thats about 50 cubes smaller than the 351, the 302 chevy?

To each his own, I guess. Everybody thinks their first V8 is the best one ever made.

K

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.