The best V-8 ever made - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Best V-8?
Chevy Big Block 52 11.13%
Chevy Small Block 245 52.46%
Chyrsler "B" Big Block 400 1 0.21%
Chyrsler "LA" Small Block 340-360 12 2.57%
Chyrsler "RB" Hemi 426 52 11.13%
Ford Big Block 429-460 11 2.36%
Olds Rocket 18 3.85%
Ford "FE" 390-427 or Cleveland 351, specify in post 28 6.00%
Ford "Windsor" 351 and for arguments sake 302 28 6.00%
Pontiac 350-400 20 4.28%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 10:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well as far as MPG goes, I have better heads and injection to thank for mine. I get around 21 mpg on the highway in an 11 second car. I would challenge anyone to find similar numbers from any of the "old school" mills. There's always a tradoff though. I really like the old Mopar motors for their ease of working on, and the other older big blocks from Ford and Chevy (especially the old Cobra-jet) for how they look. The new motors are just plain ugly underhood IMHO, and I OWN one!

You just can't ignore (or maybe you can if like to get sand in your eyes) the development and "tweaks" that have gone into engines over the years. The LSx series of motors is definately not a regular SBC in my book. It's a completely new engine that shares nothing with previous small blocks.

I like some of the Ford motors too, but the problem I have with them is absolutely no interchange between motors. Maybe someday someone can give me a good reason as to why there is a 351w and a 351c, and why in the world they needed two distinctly different motors of the same displacement in the same model year. That has always bugged me..

Dave C.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2005, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

They havent made it yet. It would have a Gm dist. because they are great from the factory. It would have the dist in the front like Fords to ease repair/installation. It would have a 4 bolt water pump like the big block Chryslers. It would have a thermostat like some of the older Buicks that change out in 10 seconds with no gasket. It would have the solenoid on the inner fender like the Fords to eliminate the heat problem. The top of the heads would be machined for the valve covers unlike the older Chevys. It would have a Holly carb for ease of repair. At least that some of my choices.

By the way my wife wants a new car. It should handle like a Ferrari. Have the room of a motor home. Get the gas mileage of the Geo-metro and be as reliable as a Honda. Any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2005, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

best V-8

454me, last question first, get her a motorcycle.

Ah it would appear that someone agrees with my analogy of the Generic American V-8, with all the different engine parts referred to. BTW, an outfit called DUI sells a GM type distributor for Fords.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

I guess that the SBC is the universal default motor. You have an old rod and don't know what engine to throw in it? Chuck in a SBC. They're a sensible choice for every man and his dog due to knowledge and part sharing amongst rodders and the like. They're a tough looking and sounding engine and can be tailored to suit your application. Want a V8 but not destroy your car's driveline or chassis? Build a 265. Sick of being blown away by Mustangs? Throw out the 265 and chuck in a very warm 383 straight in its place without alterations to the mounts or transmission. Is your 350 tired and using more oil than petrol? Buy an engine rebuild kit from Northern auto parts that includes pistons, cam/lifters, tiiming set, oil pump, etc for around $169 to freshen up that mouse. I mean, it costs me more for one freakin piston and ring set for my son's Honda XR100 motor bike!
But I have a real soft spot for Ford's Windsor V8s. Just an awesome street motor with terrific power delivery and with an exhaust note to die for. I love their compact shape and they have no stupid design defects that need to be addressed by their users.
Just remeber, America's not the only country that builds V8s. Your forgetting Maserati, Ferrari, BMW, Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, etc. I once drove a 70's Aston Martin Vantage that was powered by a hand built quad cammed, quad Weber carbed v8, complete with a plaque naming the engine builder. Well that thing nearly caused my eyes to pop out due to fear. Absolute brutal torque from down low and revved seamlessly towards 7000 RPM.
Holden (GM Australia) also had it's own v8, which in its late injected form produced instant low down power that put the GenIII's to shame. Those GenIII's were the only choice for Holden to replace that existing V8 due to emission laws. I don't know about you guys, but I hate those GenIII's. They just don't sound, nor drive like a V8 should. Sure, they've got a great top end, but no bottom end delivery. I yawn while I wait for the power to kick in, and usually ending up having to back off due to speed limits. 11 years ago, the v8 supercars governing body http://www.v8supercars.com.au/photog...t=EVNT&pid=154 , had to ban Larry Perkins engineering from usuing Holden's own V8 in his Commodores and made him use the SB Chev's like the other Commodore drivers. Mainly because his own v8s were so well developed I guess. This catagory only allows Commodores and Falcons to race and produces a fantastic specticle that's reached feaver popularity levels over here. Well, I just like V8s. Rob
Old 01-22-2005, 04:59 PM

i can't believe the early chrysler hemi ( 331,354 & 392 ) wasn't even in the poll & so far only one person has mentioned it. some people think it's the best stock based drag racing engine ever. to me it's the ultimate hot rod motor.
my second favorite is the old buick nailhead. it was designed with that " vertical" head setup so it would be narrow & fit in an engine bay that was made for a straight 8. that makes them a good choice for early chevies like i like ( pre-55 ).
but hands down the SBC has to be the best choice for the hot rodder, for all the reasons previously that everybody already knows.but guess what? i'll never have one! they are too common place & quite frankly boring. when i go to a car show or rod run i won't even look under the hood if it's got one. seen one, seen'em all.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:56 PM

Last journal entry: Flamethrower trial
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
we must think alike... 1971 Buick GS stage 1 455c.i.
350HP
510 ft.lbs.

If I'm right buick made a prototype turbo v8 in the late 1960s with over 800 ft.lbs.

geez, those kids in Buick's R&D were sick. The t-types, GNX, were wicked too.
I'm all for the nailheads My '60 is a 364ci nailhead. The 455 isn't a nailhead though. The turbo one was awesome
Old 01-22-2005, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

best v8

I'll Second the Buick 401. They were almost indestructible. Even back in 1956. You could just go to the junk yard and buy one out of a wreck and it was always a good one.
Gene Neal
Old 01-23-2005, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

the best V-8

A rhetorical question, at best. as once was said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As with the fairer sex coming in all sizes, shapes, and colors, so do engines.
Pick your sweetheart and dance.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Re: the best V-8

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Keith
A rhetorical question, at best. as once was said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As with the fairer sex coming in all sizes, shapes, and colors, so do engines.
Pick your sweetheart and dance.
Yeah, but unlike women, the more cubic inches the better.............................

Budget RVs
Old 01-23-2005, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

women vs engines

Hmmmm you may have a point Ponch. The difference is in regard to cubic inches, with an engine any enlargement will help, with a woman it depends on whether the added displacement is outward or upward.

And for the distaff readers of these threads, yes that application of added cubic inches applies to men too.

Wondering why if beauty is only skin deep, why do women seem to prefer the TDH guys?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:37 AM

Chevy 409
Old 01-29-2005, 03:42 PM
im the guy you lost to.

i voted for the sbc because throughout the years, its been an overall very reliable engine. as was said, theyr very flexible. the only complaint i have is the valve guides on a 305... i have one, and i know countless others who do, and all of theyr valve guides leak. other than that, sbc is the engine of all engines
Old 01-30-2005, 01:17 PM

Not half-baked!

I considered the 426 hemi second to the Cleveland because the Hemis are very expensive. You can't just put together a Hemi for $2500. You also can't pull one out of a junkyard. Last time I checked, a hemi block was around $2000.

The heads is what makes the cleveland. They are probably the best cast-iron heads ever made for a small block. Not sure if they were the first with canted valves, but 290+ cfm stock intake flow is very good, and with some porting can hit 340+ cfm. Exhaust can flow around 230+ cfm.

Why have aftermarket heads for the cleveland only finally come out after over 30 years of being out of production? Because the stock ones are so good.

A 302 chevy could make a ton of horsepower, but I have still yet to see an actually streetable 450+ hp 300 inch, cast iron headed, motor.

Not trying to be disagreeable, but unless you built, drove, or owned one there isn't alot of authority there. That is why I don't criticize chevy's or mopars. Each unto their own. The internet tends to make an easy sounding board for people spouting advice.

The rest of the SBF's stink cause the heads. No potential.

Clevelands aren't scarce, primarily because of people being ignorant to their potential. I got my whole motor for around $1500.

I know this a chevy-slanted board, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Andy

PS - a great website is the Network54 "335" Ford forum. Lots of info and they are very helpful.

PSS Everyone has different criteria for the motor they build. What I wanted was a 450+ hp, solid cammed, 10.5:1 compression pump gas motor that was cheap and strong. It fit my criteria, and made my '78 Mont go REALLY fast. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by fearsomefairmont; 01-30-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

i'm a die-hard mopar man , but have had a little of them all . my first choice would have to be a 69 440 six -pack motor ,, ran as fast as a hemi but bullit proof and cheap (then ,, not now ! )or the venerable ford flat head . although as has been said before in this post take the best of all of them and you would have the perfect engine. the thing i like most about the sbc is that the parts are so cheap as compared to the mopars which are outragous !
Old 01-30-2005, 09:00 PM

Bummer

Hey man,
I feel for ya - parts for some of the other engine families can be SOOO expensive.

I have an Olds 455 in my '72 cutlass and the cheapest (and almost only) aftermarket heads are $1600! Well, such is the way it is.

My dad was always a Mopar 440 fan. Said they were some of the best motors ever built.

Maybe one day I'll try a mopar and like it. Till then, I am glad I don't have to pay for it!

Good luck

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.