The best V-8 ever made - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Best V-8?
Chevy Big Block 52 11.13%
Chevy Small Block 245 52.46%
Chyrsler "B" Big Block 400 1 0.21%
Chyrsler "LA" Small Block 340-360 12 2.57%
Chyrsler "RB" Hemi 426 52 11.13%
Ford Big Block 429-460 11 2.36%
Olds Rocket 18 3.85%
Ford "FE" 390-427 or Cleveland 351, specify in post 28 6.00%
Ford "Windsor" 351 and for arguments sake 302 28 6.00%
Pontiac 350-400 20 4.28%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=ap72] My favorite Ford engine is my Edsel 475 which is actually an FE engine of which very few were produced. QUOTE]

A 475 FE ??????? I think that you are mistaken. Give me some information about it, etc. please.

Edsels did use the 292 Y block, 360 FE, and 383 MEL series engines. The MEL eventually came in 383, 430, and 462 cubes in the Lincoln.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2005, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

Thread # 104

Please, Tell me more about that very very rare 475 FE Edsel engine from Ford Motor Company.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:28 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

xntrik I found this regarding the Edsel 475 you were asking about. I kinda question the validity of it seeing as how the person that wrote the page compares its torque out put to the V-12 turbo diesel found in the new Dodge Ram pickups. I didnt know Dodge put a V-12 of any kind in their pickups. At any rate, scroll down toward to the bottom of the page under "What size is the motor in my Edsel?"

http://www.uslink.net/~hepcats/faq.html
Old 09-25-2005, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
xntrik I found this regarding the Edsel 475 you were asking about. I kinda question the validity of it seeing as how the person that wrote the page compares its torque out put to the V-12 turbo diesel found in the new Dodge Ram pickups. I didnt know Dodge put a V-12 of any kind in their pickups. At any rate, scroll down toward to the bottom of the page under "What size is the motor in my Edsel?"

http://www.uslink.net/~hepcats/faq.html

Thank you Sir.

That is the 410 cube MEL series engine (not an FE) that came in 383, 410, 430, and 462 cubes later. The 430 and 462 were used in the suicide door Lincolns. They were torque monsters, and in those days there was hop up stuff for them, and they did fairly well when not in a land yacht.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:31 PM
snowslinger

Last photo:

454 big block baby! only becuse its the engine in my first truck
Old 09-25-2005, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik

Thank you Sir.

That is the 410 cube MEL series engine (not an FE) that came in 383, 410, 430, and 462 cubes later. The 430 and 462 were used in the suicide door Lincolns. They were torque monsters, and in those days there was hop up stuff for them, and they did fairly well when not in a land yacht.
additional FYI in case anybody cares.....
the 58 Mercury had a 383 MEL Turnpike Cruiser that had a 500 cfm Motorcraft 2 bbl. that I specifically remember because we took a new 64 Fairlane 260 and put that carb on it and it dropped 1 full sec in the quarter. The 500 cfm was so big we had to have a machine shop mill out the throttle bores to install the carb. It bolted right on and looked just like the stock carb on the 64 and I swapped ID tag to the new carb... and tech inspection never caught it. The only car that ever beat us was a silver blue 62 Impala 2 dr ht with 283 four speed. Oswego Raceway, Aurora IL, 1964
Old 09-26-2005, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
additional FYI in case anybody cares.....
the 58 Mercury had a 383 MEL Turnpike Cruiser that had a 500 cfm Motorcraft 2 bbl. that I specifically remember because we took a new 64 Fairlane 260 and put that carb on it and it dropped 1 full sec in the quarter. The 500 cfm was so big we had to have a machine shop mill out the throttle bores to install the carb. It bolted right on and looked just like the stock carb on the 64 and I swapped ID tag to the new carb... and tech inspection never caught it. The only car that ever beat us was a silver blue 62 Impala 2 dr ht
with 283 four speed. Oswego Raceway, Aurora IL, 1964
this series ford engine had combustion chambers in the cylenders, a flat head same as 348 409 gm.the top of the block was on a angle to the bore a perfect wedge, like the 348s it was costly to build and to rebuild required some spesial tooling to bore the cyls.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate
this series ford engine had combustion chambers in the cylenders, a flat head same as 348 409 gm.the top of the block was on a angle to the bore a perfect wedge, like the 348s it was costly to build and to rebuild required some spesial tooling to bore the cyls.
Thanks Cliff. I am not sure I ever saw one apart.
Here's more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Well, I can't really tell you more than you'll find on the internet, but its an Edsel and I ended up with it through dumb luck. It was originally going to be used for an old Ford project truck, but it never happened and after sitting for a decade it was given to me. I'll eventually freshen it up a bit with new rings, valve guides, and bearings, not to mention a port ad polish job, but what I'm really interested to know is which parts can be swapped over from other Ford bigblocks. I'd like to make a decent hotrod engine out of it- maybe like 600 horse NA.
ap72 = Thank you for the information.
MEL 410s are very very very rare. It is a totally different engine design. Nothing fits. Sell it to some Edsel guys or keep it as a curiosity, don't junk it.

Speed parts were made around 59-64 but finding something will be next to impossible. These were not popular then. They never were more than torque monsters, especially the Lincoln 462, with limited rpm capability due to the internal weight. Kanter or somebody might have internal parts.(?)

Think of this: the FE and the MEL came out at the same time (1958) = the FE survives, the MEL didn't. The 385 series (429-460 cubes) replaced the MEL.

Sell it to some Edsel guys.

Skip the whole MEL idea and do a newer 385 series 429/460 from an early 70s car or maybe a 390 FE, depending on how many cubes you want to feed.

Judge your cube desire and start with a factory engine of that size. A factory 460 is much less expensive than stroking a FE to 454.

thanks, x
Old 10-02-2005, 09:49 AM

Last journal entry: Original wood for Drip pan
Last photo:

Pig Pen

Is a 389 pontiac in a 34 ford original enough? When a affordable 4" stroke aftermarket crank comes out the 389 will be replaced with a 421/428.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Jeep's speed

350 the next 4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
If i see another 350 or crate engine hotrod i think i will get sick.....I think the concept of hotrodders is to be different so ditch that 350 and be original
Amen to that 350s are so overrated,just like all chevys!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:34 PM

OK. The choices were limited. But, when I saw "FE" Ford, and thought about the Hot Rod Magazine cover shot of the SOHC 427 back in the mid sixties (was it '64?), I thought, nothing more exotic or down right brutal has EVER come out of an American Automobile Engine Factory. Certainly not in the catagories listed. Nothing. For it's time, it was unbeatable. Today, it still would be . . . . . But, I'm still a Chevy guy. Who can afford a cammer motor??

Pat
Old 10-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amx82
Amen to that 350s are so overrated,just like all chevys!!!

If they were so over-rated and lousey, they would have stopped making them 50 years ago..............50 years says something.................
Old 10-22-2005, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

350 cheve

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
If they were so over-rated and lousey, they would have stopped making them 50 years ago..............50 years says something.................
with the no of share holders and retired employees who would buy any thing gm makes they never improved the small block until recently , that does not prove they ar any better tha ford or chrysler
Old 10-24-2005, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate
with the no of share holders and retired employees who would buy any thing gm makes they never improved the small block until recently , that does not prove they ar any better tha ford or chrysler
no need to change something that works just fine.

i think that is a big key for the 350's success. such huge parts availability and interchangability because GM kept it relatively the same for so long. Smart move in my eyes.

And I think the new smallblocks are just as nice. The LT1's are good motors, solid, and can make great power. The LS1's are even better. Easy power, great mileage, hard running motors that take abuse, and while a little strange at first are still very simple and effective designs. Even with fuel injection.

I read in the past few years how some people even claim Chevy is "low tech"... But the simplest route to the same solution without fault is always the better decision for anything else, so why is it a problem with an internal combustion motor?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:10 AM

Last journal entry: Cooling
Last photo:

The best V-8 ever made

Hey what about the Buick 455? AMC 401? Over 400 ft lbs of tq stock!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.