The best V-8 ever made - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Best V-8?
Chevy Big Block 52 11.13%
Chevy Small Block 245 52.46%
Chyrsler "B" Big Block 400 1 0.21%
Chyrsler "LA" Small Block 340-360 12 2.57%
Chyrsler "RB" Hemi 426 52 11.13%
Ford Big Block 429-460 11 2.36%
Olds Rocket 18 3.85%
Ford "FE" 390-427 or Cleveland 351, specify in post 28 6.00%
Ford "Windsor" 351 and for arguments sake 302 28 6.00%
Pontiac 350-400 20 4.28%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 07:00 PM

Last journal entry: I've Changed My Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The interchangeability of the smallblock chevys is what it all comes down to. You can build one heck of an engine for cheap money compared to other brands.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 07:10 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

Best V-8 ever made

Guess im all by myself, but i loved the 283 chevy. Back in my day they were easy to beaf up,cheap,easy to work on, and i could go on and on. Also loved the 327.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:24 PM

They Rev And Stay Together. Their Oiling System Is Second To None. Tough As Nails, You Will Find Them In Winning Race Cars, Indeed Vehicles Powered By These Engines Hold Countless Records On Land ,In The Air, And On Water. Wanna Play With A Different Cam? No Problem These Engines Have Adjustable Valve Trains And A Virtually Infinite Number Of Profiles To Choose From. They Are In Dump Trucks, Combines, And Can Be Found Under The Hood Of Every Other Brand Of Vehicle. Ya Want Horsepower? They Can Give You More Than You Can Handle. Gas Mileage? They Can Give You That Too. Durability? They Are Legendary! From Day One The Engineers Pulled Out All The Stops To Make This Engine Better, And Better. For Fifty Plus Years Speed Shops, Performance Equipment Manufacturers, Engine Swap Kit Suppliers Put Together Their Offerings For This Engine Before Any Others-Sometimes Instead Of Any Others. AND THEY ARE STILL THE ONES TO SHOW YOU TAILLIGHTS!!!! If There Can Only Be One King Of The Hill And Indeed There Can Be Only One- You Already Know The Answer. THE SMALL BLOCK CHEVROLET
PS If You Want Even More, Have Room For It, A Driveline That Will Handle It, And Want Such An Engine To Have A Similar Criteria To That Engine Listed Above-You Guessed It THE BIG BLOCK CHEVROLET
'The Other Guys' Have Had Over 50 Years To Prove Otherwise And Failed Miserably In Their Endeavours. And The Only Thing They Have To Look Forward To Is The SBC, The BBC, And Yet Another Engine That Will Eat Their Lunch -THE CHEVROLET LS SERIES. Hmmm, I Seem To Notice A Pattern Here! M
Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Mean Mother USA

Last photo:

You Forgot Real 1st Oldsmobile True OHV 304 c i V-8 Engine.

10-28-05

In 1948 Oldsmobile Created 1st True OHV 304 ci V-8 Engine ---In 1949 Cadillac Practically Sued Olds In Courts To Get Rights To This Exclusive Engine,i.e. All Engines Were Patterned After Olds OHV 304 c i V-8!

Oldsmobile Stock 304 c i V-8s Held All NHRA Drag Strip Titles 1949 Thru 1952!

I Owned 3 Olds -- Stock 49 2 dr Cp 304 c i V-8 And, Modified -50 Olds 2 dr cp 324 c i V-8 Tri-Pwr--No Thing Could Come Close To Even Beating Me ! And, I Still Own Radical Modified 54 Olds 2 Dr H T 371 ci V-8 Tri-Pwr.

Oldsmobile Has Become Extinct--Chevy Takes All Credit For OHV Engines & Chevy Did Not Have Its Own OHV V-8 Created Until 1955-- G M Even Copied Olds Rocket Body Styles!

Olds Hidden-Covered Up in Anals Of Time,i.e. Was Separate Car Manufacturer Sucked Up By (Greedy Politics Included) G M Corp - Olds If Not Small Car Maker Probably Would Have Become Another Tucker... To See More Information...

Visit:http://MeanMother.Com

Vincent Auto
Old 10-29-2005, 03:55 AM

Last photo:

Dollar for dollar you cannot make another run as hard or as cheaply. Olds was good. My first car was a '57 Rocket 88 with the 371 / 4 barrel engine. The weight of them was the killer. Olds did have the interchangeability in that from 1949 through 1964 you could swap engines between cars and the transmissions also were just bolt in swaps. The small block chevy is lighter therefor less mass to get moving. 283's and 327's are getting scarce since they stopped building them around 1970. The 350's and 400's are a little easier to find. I will try to find a donor car for the driveline for my '56 Chevy. I'm not planning on modifying the engine or trans from stock configuration for reasons of dependability. Ill look for a 350/350 combination to use.

Last edited by 56 Project; 10-29-2005 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean@MeanMother.Com
10-28-05

In 1948 Oldsmobile Created 1st True OHV 304 ci V-8 Engine ---In 1949 Cadillac Practically Sued Olds In Courts To Get Rights To This Exclusive Engine,i.e. All Engines Were Patterned After Olds OHV 304 c i V-8!

Oldsmobile Stock 304 c i V-8s Held All NHRA Drag Strip Titles 1949 Thru 1952!

I Owned 3 Olds -- Stock 49 2 dr Cp 304 c i V-8 And, Modified -50 Olds 2 dr cp 324 c i V-8 Tri-Pwr--No Thing Could Come Close To Even Beating Me ! And, I Still Own Radical Modified 54 Olds 2 Dr H T 371 ci V-8 Tri-Pwr.

Oldsmobile Has Become Extinct--Chevy Takes All Credit For OHV Engines & Chevy Did Not Have Its Own OHV V-8 Created Until 1955-- G M Even Copied Olds Rocket Body Styles!

Olds Hidden-Covered Up in Anals Of Time,i.e. Was Separate Car Manufacturer Sucked Up By (Greedy Politics Included) G M Corp - Olds If Not Small Car Maker Probably Would Have Become Another Tucker... To See More Information...

Visit:http://MeanMother.Com

Vincent Auto
studibaker had a ovhv v8 engine befor olds,tho it had cam problems as did the olds, the 1st chev v8s had ther share of greaf flat cams broken cranks, poor lube system, no fullflow filter, the 55 and up ybloks wher not as fast as the 283 but they wer a lot more dependable, they owned the industrial market untill the 350 came along.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:00 AM

Last photo:

If I am not mistaken the Studebaker V8 was built by Packard. A car manufacturer from way back.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Jeep's speed

not packerd

The engine i am refering too was built by AMC they had a 287ci,298ci,and a 327ci ,willy's kaiser built them it look's like a big block dodge it has a 2 inch thick adapter plate that connect's a TH 400 trans to it it's all OEM.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Bugs

Small Block Chevy 400

I have had real good luck with my sbc400, it was in a 1978 GMC truck I bought back in 1989, the guy I bought it from advertised it as a good work truck with a 350ci in it, I went and looked at it and it ran good so I gave him the $800.00 he was asking for it and drove it home, when I did the first oil change on it is when Inoticed it was a 400 because of the freeze plugs, needless to say this made me happy, I have another 400 that I ran in a van for years and it too was a dependable engine with plenty of power, I have no idea how many miles I put on the van but I finally wore it out and pulled the 400 and put it in the shed, where it sits to this day

I used this truck to pull my lawn trailer for 5 years and other than oil changes I did nothing to it, the body rusted away on the truck so I junked it after pulling the engine, the engine sat covered up for like 2 years, my brother in law needed and engine for his 86 chevy pickup so I brought the 400 out of hideing and decided to see if it would crank before I put it in his truck,it somehow had got water in it and wouldn't turn over by the starter, I took a pry bar and got it freed up and started(sitting on a pallet)we put it in his truck and he loved and wanted to keep it not wanting to sell it I took it back out as soon as I got his new engine built, it went back on the pallet for some time until my wife bought me a 76 Elcamino that had a weak engine in it,

I stuck the 400 in it where it still is and still runs great, so I have had this engine for around 16 years, never rebuilt it, I did notice a bad oil leak up in the front of it, I looked and the timeing chain was so slake that it had worn a hole in the timeing chain cover, I replace the timeing components and that is all I have done to it, I have no idea how many miles it had on it when I bought it but I know it now has got to have around 300,000 on it that I have put on it, I ran it yesterday and noticed it puffs a little smoke when you crank it but still keeps going, did I mention that it's a gas hog This is the only beef I have with it and the reason I don't drive it much, 8mpg to 10mpg is all I can get out out of it,

Sorry for dragging this out and I am not saying the 400 is the best ever but I sure do like it as I do all small block chevys, I would love to find another 283 also, they were tuff engines to put up with some of the torture I put them through when I was a kid
Old 11-03-2005, 05:46 PM

Bugs, Amen To That!!!! MD
Old 11-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

I vote the 235/261 3+3=8 doesn't it? Cheers!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 05:54 PM

Hey 46 CHEVY Fleetline, Close Enough! And Remember 'CHEVY Six In A Row Ain't Made To Go Slow!!!! MD
Old 11-03-2005, 06:04 PM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Ah!!! not alone in this world. LMAO Thanks MD
Old 11-03-2005, 06:31 PM

46 CHEVY Fleetline, The 235's And 261's Were Before My Time But I Noticed Anytime The Old Timers Got Together And Talked Cars They Loved To Tell How The 235's Would Blow The Flathead fords Doors Off. An Older Friend Had A '52 CHEVY CUSTOM (People Couldn't Tell What It Was- CHEVY, merc, Cherc, MEVY ????) It Was Powered By A Built 261 With 3 Dueces, One Straight Pipe For Each Two Cylinders, All The Best Stuff. He Said Back Then The BEST GRIPPING TIRES FOR STREET/DRAG RACING WERE MUDGRIPS!!!! So He Ran A Gorgeous Custom Nobody Could Catch And It Had Mudgrips On It! I Have Had A Lot Of Fun With The Later CHEVY Sixes, As Well As All The Other CHEVY Motors. Indeed If I Close My Eyes And Still See Small Blocks I'll Pull Out A Six To Play With. I've Got A Perfect '61 235 Head. Who Knows, I Might Just Find Something To Put It On! MD
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHRKEAU
46 CHEVY Fleetline, The 235's And 261's Were Before My Time But I Noticed Anytime The Old Timers Got Together And Talked Cars They Loved To Tell How The 235's Would Blow The Flathead fords Doors Off. An Older Friend Had A '52 CHEVY CUSTOM (People Couldn't Tell What It Was- CHEVY, merc, Cherc, MEVY ????) It Was Powered By A Built 261 With 3 Dueces, One Straight Pipe For Each Two Cylinders, All The Best Stuff. He Said Back Then The BEST GRIPPING TIRES FOR STREET/DRAG RACING WERE MUDGRIPS!!!! So He Ran A Gorgeous Custom Nobody Could Catch And It Had Mudgrips On It! I Have Had A Lot Of Fun With The Later CHEVY Sixes, As Well As All The Other CHEVY Motors. Indeed If I Close My Eyes And Still See Small Blocks I'll Pull Out A Six To Play With. I've Got A Perfect '61 235 Head. Who Knows, I Might Just Find Something To Put It On! MD
sorrey to rain on your party but chev never had a 235in 47 they had a216until 53, and they were a boat anchor with splash lub etc good to take farmer brow to town only. the 235 in53 was much improved but no match for a flathead, 262 was a pontiac engine in canada, i think gm trucks used it in the us, with a horning head they wer fast up hear in stock cars, but hear again a wellbuilt flathead usually cam 1st.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.