Hot Rod Forum banner

Best Value Ring and Pinion set?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Well I'm changing gears on my GM 12 Bolt car rear end. Its a 3.07 and I'm wanting to go to 4.10 The truck is makeing about 440hp + 150 shot of nitrous. Nitto Drag Radials (not super sticky) and caltrac bars.

Just curious can I get away with a cheap gear set like the summit street/strip set for $175? Or will I need to step it up to a better set like Precision Gear?

Thanks, Jordon

#3 ·
Get a good gear. Cheap is just that, cheap. You are also going to need a 4 series differnetial for that swap. The truck 12 bolt uses a 3 series diffrerential for the 3.07 gear and a 4 series differential for the 4.10 gear. If you have the car 12 bolt then you can get a special thick 4.10 gear that fits the 3 series differential. Also get a good installation kit. There are cheap kits and good kits. Summit and Jeg's only sell cheap kits. Randy's Ring & Pinion and Tom's Differentials have good kits.

#6 ·
Randy's Ring & Pinion sells Yukon gears. i've used these for many years and they are as good as any others. Tom's sells US Gear. These are also among the best. These places sell better installation kits than most places. Ratech kits are no good. Richmond kits and many others are just reboxed Ratech kits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.