Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best way to aproach this
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best way to aproach this

I do mostly exterior repaints, but have a 1965 Mustang I am working on. I have already painted the fenders, doors piece parts met allic blue. I am now starting the car, fenders and doors off.

Give me a quick rundown on how you would proceed pleeeeeeese !!! I need to paint the dash, floor, engine and trunk compartments. It has a new headliner in it which I will have to cover up. Do I prep everything first ? Should I use the Rustoleam Satin black for the firewall, floor and trunk area ? Spray it reduced ??

A friend of mine has a restoration shop and proceeds this way :: I usually get everything ready to paint as if you were going to paint everything all at once.I then tape out the firewall and engine compartment and interior and paint the exterior,door jambbs and inside the trunk all at once as the trunk is supposed to be the same color as the outside of the car.Then I sand and buff quarters,roof and cowl area.Then tape out and paint dash whtever color it gets and then ,yes,rusoleum satin black on the firewall and engine compartment including the front of the radiator support.Is this clear as mud.It should take you a few weeks to do all of it.

Just seemed strange to paint and buff the exterior first ??

Looking for more ideas , maybe his is a good idea ??