Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best way to build 427
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best way to build 427

Hey guys,

Whats the best way to build a modern big block 427? Other than going out and buying an buying a period big block and building it up?

Is it better to go Cast Iron or Aluminum?

Does anyone make an aftermarket BB 427? As I understand, I can destroke a 454 to get it right? If so, would that be a roller block or an older style flat tappet?

What about the new C5R 7.0L block that Chevy came up with for the Corvette? Or is that just a small block all dressed up?

A buddy of mine convinced me not to build the 383 I was going after a while ago (you may remember some of the posts) when he said (Dude, if you are going to spend money on a car that already works (my Trans Am), why not instead spend your money to restore your camaro, and if you do that, why not put a big block in it? And I figured, why not at least look into it. Since restoring the Camaro will be a little expensive, I've got time to do the research on the motor which will probably be the last or one of the last items I put in it.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!