Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best way to build 427
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 08:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You can use any mark 4 454 block,to build a 427.You can use the 3.76" crank from a real 427,or from a 396 or any 366 or 427 tall deck truck engine.If you are going to use old TRW type 427 pistons then the real 427 crank or a 366/427 truck crank is best since they will have enough or more then enough counterweight to balance without hravy metal.If you are going to run lighter rods and pistons then the 396 crank is fine.

As far as I know you can use an early crank in a later gen 5 or 6 block if you use the rear main seal adapter.This would allow you to use factory roller cam setup if that was what you are after.If you want to keep it a street car then the best heads would be either ported out iron large ovals,or even better yet, a set of new GM or Edelbrock rectoval heads.Most highpo 427's came from the factory with rectangular port heads,but in reality these heads were a litle too big for any engine that wont see 7000 rpm or more on a regular basis.

And as a final note my persoanl opinion is that for anything I was going to drive as a real street car I would get my hands on a 454/427 block and drop a 4.25" crank in it and get closer to 500 cubes out of it and just tell everybody it is a 427.Nobody will know any better,and you can get 100 free hp out of the combo no matter how you build it.Good luck.