Best Way to change valvesprings w/ heads installed? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 12:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best Way to change valvesprings w/ heads installed?

I'm in the process of getting the parts together for a head & cam swap for my 454. I do have one quick question though. I plan on going with a solid flat-tappet cam, running dual valve springs. It is my understanding that the cam manufacturer recommends breaking in the cam with only the outer spring. What I am wondering is what is the best way to remove the springs so I can install the inner spring also. I know of two methods, but I am wondering what you have had the best experience with. I have the necessary tools (air compressor) for both methods, but have never tried either one.

#1: Using air compressor, rotate piston to BDC, leave all other spark plugs in, and fill the cylinder with air. I heard to rotate to BDC, so the air pressure will not try to turn the motor over. Also, how much pressure would be necessary to hold the valves against their seats? What worries me about this method, is what happens if I accidentaly push on a valve? Will there be enough pressure so that it won't open and lose the air in the cylinder?

#2: Use a nylon rope, and tie a knot in the end so if can't fall through the spark plug hole. Rotate piston almost all the way up, shove rope into cylinder, and then rotate piston the rest of the way up to push the rope against the valves to prevent them from falling into the cylinder. Install valve springs, then rotate crankshaft counter-clockwise to relieve pressure on rope, and withdraw rope from cylinder.

Do I understand both procedures correctly? I think I would feel more comfortable using method #2, but I have never personally tried either method. Thanks for any ideas.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 01:45 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I always use method 2. I always buy a new nylon rope and bring the piston up about halfway in the bore, fill the cylinder with rope then bring it up until the rope stops the piston. after I finish, I put the rope back in the bag in came in and place it away until the next time I need it.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

I have used both methods. They both work well. The choice is yours.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

Air is much quicker, used to change springs between rounds at the drags that way.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:56 AM

Thanks for all of your responses. It is really putting my mind at rest as this is the first time I have had to change the springs with the heads installed.

One more question though. When using the air compressor, how much air do you pump into the cylinder? Is there a certain psi range I'm looking for? And is it recommended to bring the piston to the bottom to keep the air from turning the motor over?

Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Shoot for 100 psi+ or whatever your compressor line pressure is. Always put the piston down at BDC or the air pressure will take it there. NOW!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.