Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best way to clean paint guns?
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It takes me about 15 minutes to do a complete tear down clean out, and that's even cleaning the cup (not disposable) and the paint can pour spout.

I dump about an ounce of lacquer thinner in the cup, put the lid on, and shake it for about 10 seconds. Then I pull the trigger and let it drain out the gun.

I dump about another ounce of lacquer thinner in the cup, shake again, then hook the gun up to air and spray it out. Now 90% of the paint is out.

At this point I dump another ounce or two into a plastic bowl (like a clean cottage cheese container), break down the gun and toss the air cap and tip in there. I brush down the outside and stick a little brush on the insides real quick just to make sure there's nothing inside. Then I dip a paper towel into that lacquer thinner and do a final wipe out of the cup, just to ensure it's clean, and also wipe down the gun. I also wipe the needle and add more lube if necessary.

Then I put the gun back together, spray some air through it to blow out any trace lacquer thinner and dry it out and it's completely clean for the next time.

Because I'm cheap, I reuse my lacquer thinner by straining it through a paint strainer into another container. This is what I'll use for the first initial clean out of the gun right after it's been used.