Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best way to deal with very wavy roof
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
I do use the hanky trick (actually use a shop towel, but same thing) and it works great. I also shut my eyes and turn my head when I feel so my eyes don't play tricks on me and can concentrate strickly on what I'm feeling.

I have a shrinking disc but it's only a 4.5" one, and my main problem is I think my angle grinder shaft is slightly bent so it has a slight wobble to it. You can't really see it just by looking at it, but on the surface of the shrinking disc you can tell only half of the disc is actually making contact with the metal so I don't think I'm making the metal as hot as I could be. Additionally, the metal gets this black marred look on it after I've used the disc. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong (I squirt water with dish soap on the surface as lubricant as stated in the instructions). Also, I am wondering if the 4.5" is just too small to be of any practical use. I'm sure most of you here would say yes.

I'll try out some of these ideas. I'm glad I can put the epoxy on first and then guide coat, because I'd like to get the epoxy on sooner than later.

I don't have a finishing hammer but I do have a nice slapper. I understand this can serve the function too? I don't have a shot bag either, is this something you guys highly recommend I get?
I highly recommend a shot bag with a plastic tear drop mallet with a shaved face that's nearly flat. The problem with hammer and dolly is that you can over stretch. Before you epoxy you can also kind of rough it out a bit so you can better utilize your epoxy. I tend to find that for roofs when you think it's stretched it might not even be the case cause the arch is what gives it the strength and once something in the middle is displaced it can make you think it's stretched. Sometimes just working it out will tighten up cause it gives it back the arch, but it's always good to finish with a shrinking disk anyways for those. I'm not sure about shrinking disks on hoods or decklids though. I've gotten a lot better since trying it last time on those but my take was that since I didn't take enough time to fix everything really good and parts of the skin are adhered to the supports that it can have adverse affects. Not sure though so I will try it again when time allows.