Best way to flush brake fluid - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best way to flush brake fluid

What's the most effective way to flush out all the brake fluid? Which is the best way: vacuum, pressure, or gravity? Any equipment or tools I should buy?

Thanks,
Rob
'67 Plymouth Barracuda

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 11:44 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

flush fluid

I don't think you will get ALL the fluid out without disassembling the system. YOu could get most out by opening the bleeders, sticking a hose over it to catch it... then making a pressure cap out of an old cover... you could drill a hole in then blow the air into . then flush with fluid that way you would not have as much mixing with old and new fluid. you might have to pump the pedal as you flush... In the factory we used to pressure fill the brake system thru the master cyl.. the bleeder catch hoses were clear so the tech could see when the air bubbles stopped..
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I just bleed the brakes through the front calipers until most of the fluid is out of the reservoir, then top up and bleed all the brakes until I get fresh clear fluid at all the brakes.

Might have to top it up twice to get fresh fluid through all the lines.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 AM

Should I flush the fluid by simply opening-up (one at a time) the bleeder valves and bleeding by gravity (no pumping of the brakes) or should I buy some sort of vacuum bleeder like the ones made by mityvac, kdtools, lisle, or vacula?

Here are my choices:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947746000P

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999096000P

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947058000P

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999499000P

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00996273000P

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942276000P

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999782000P

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947323000P

I'm planning to buy at Sears since they currently have a no interest and no payment offer for 1 year and the prices seem reasonable. Which one should I get?

Last edited by intergalactica; 12-22-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

Best thing I have found for this is the Motive pressure bleeder. I have a mityvac silverline vacuum pump that worked on everything but my wife's car, could not get a firm pedal with it, think it was drawing air around the bleeder screw threads. Put the Motive on it, firm pedal the first time. It is easy to one man bleed the brakes, hook this to the master cylinder & pressurize to make sure there are no leaks, depressurize & add fluid then pump back up & open bleeder screws one one a time till clean fluid comes out. I flush all the fluid out of my cars about every 2 yrs like this.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have a Mity Vac, and quite frankly find that it's about useless for a full brake system bleed (sorry to those that like them - that's my experience). What I've done is install Russell or Dorman speed bleeders and just pump a bunch of fluid through the lines, one at a time. If you really want to be meticulous and messy, flush with a very good grade, low/no water, of isopropyl alcohol(not drug store stuff), which will serve 2 purposes - first it will clean out most of any sludge, and secondly since it's hygroscopic, it will carry out any water. Then refill with a very high boiling point brake fluid, maybe DOT4 (not DOT5 as that's silicone, and that's for another discussion)

Dave W
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

I have always tried to avoid pressure because of the potential and likely mess. Gravity bleeding works often as long as you are willing to wait a L O N G T I M E .

I choose vacuum bleeding. My setup cost me all of $20 and works very well. So far the only mess that I have made is spilling a jar of brake fluid on the driveway after taking the lid off. No pressurized brake fluid spraying on my paint and it actually cleaned off a grease stain the driveway where I spilled it

Don't pay $100+ on credit for something you could so simply and cheaply make for yourself. Those hand powered vacuum pumps suck for bleeding brakes but work ok for testing vacuum actuated stuff (timing, egr, etc.).

Check out the wiki article I started on vacuum bleeding
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._brake_bleeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
...What I've done is install Russell or Dorman speed bleeders and just pump a bunch of fluid through the lines, one at a time...
I have used those as well. They work great but I don't have them installed in all my vehicles let alone all the vehicles I work on (family/friends cars). I still use the jar I made for the vacuum bleeder to bleed into with the speed bleeders.

Last edited by Triaged; 12-23-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:30 AM

Last photo:

Brake bleeder

A lot of guys talk about Harbor freight selling junk but this I have give It worked fantastic! My '54 Ford sat for a lot of years,I replaced all the wheel cylinders and hoses and converted to a dual master(which I forgot to bench bleed,OOPS!) You attach an airline from your compressor to this unit and follow the directions,the whole system was bled in less than 10 minutes and fluid running clean and no air.My neighbor has used it several times and says it is great also.Here's a picture, runs about $30, pedal pumping is a thing of the past one man operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake bleed.gif
Views:	272
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	35161  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.