Best way to get a 305 to 300-350 hp? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2004, 10:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by 307crankin350=327
350 and 400 cid's are over ratted if you just follow the
below link. you will get what you were looking for in the first place.

you stated that you had a two barral carb in the camaro. you would put a edlbrock intake and a cam close to the 350 cam in the 305 you allready have.you will need a set of short stack headers with dual exhaust. if you put your so called 400 or 350 in you will still need to put dual exhaust in it. and you can find a feed back carb in a bone yard that is a Q-jet to tie into your computer system and still remain legal.

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/290hp305.html
A camaro built in 78 will not have a computer controlled carb and I'm afraid I will have to disagree with your comment on 350's and 400 being over rated. I'm not sure how you can recomend to someone that they build a 305 over a 350 or 400 with a straight face.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

<-- agrees completly with Robinson.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:01 AM

Last photo:

Several classes of racing have been designed for the 305 Chevy, 302 Ford, and 318 Chrysler. There was a truck class up in OH that I did some hyd. flat cams for. The rules stated stock heads with port work, hyd. cam, max lift of .550", stock stroke, over bore of .030" Compression was open. These 305's ended up at around 11.7 to 1. Engine builder got 360HP out of them, can remember the torque but it was around 350#/ft. Engines ran very well for 10 to 12 races then the webbing of the blocks would give and the engines were done. I don't feel GM put enough material in these blocks to ever hold much power. 300HP you can obtain but anymore you are stressing the block itself.

Chris
Old 06-12-2004, 07:04 PM

The easiest way to 300 to 350 horsepower is WWW.GMPARTSDEPOT.COM, look at the crate motors - brand new 350's, 290 horse for $1599.00, 330 horse for $2398.00, or a factory stock class circle track race motor for $2895.00 - these are factory new engines from GM and will hold together - they are priced comparable to a performance rebuilt, but you get standard bores and all new components! BTW I am running a crate HT454 (L-29 Engine) with a cam change - replaced the HT cam with the ZZ502 cam - and couldn't be more satisfied - it was lots cheaper than a rebuild was going to run, and got a roller cam engine with VORTEC heads, tremendous torque that will run on premium unleaded without having to buy race fuel, and has been giving excellent service in my jet boat (It is not exactly living a pampered life!) I topped mine off with a Holley Street Dominator manifold and Barry Grant Speed Demon carb - and Mallory digital distributor and ignition - I can't say enough good about it! It kicks butt - lots more power than the older gen IV big block we ran previously, with less duration amd lift but a lot fatter cam lobe with the roller. These crate motors are engineered packages - developed by automotive engineers with lots of experience and expensive dynomometers at their disposal - there is a lot to be said for knowledge and experience!

Just my 2 cents worth -
Happy Hotrodding,
Neil
Old 06-15-2004, 02:14 AM

Last photo:

amen!

the GM perf parts route is the way to go for a small block chevy especially when your expectations are so close to what they deliver.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.