Best way to get a 305 to 300-350 hp? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 12:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best way to get a 305 to 300-350 hp?

Lets asume this is the stock 305 out of my camaro. I looked up how many hp it was suposed to make from the factory. Which is 175 hp for the cali moddle (which i have). I was wondering the most cost efective/reliable way to get it up to the 300-350hp. If you think it would be alot cheaper to build up a 383 stroker let me know. I'm hoping hiting 300 hp wont cost me an arm and a leg (by that i meen less than 1000 usd).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

cubic inches is cheapest, could go with a 350 to instead of a 383. it is possible to make 300+ HP from a 305,but not the cheapest way for sure
Old 05-10-2004, 12:57 AM

How much you think I would need to spend if I went with a 350 ?
Old 05-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You can usually look around and get a 350 on the cheap. but choose wisely, since you`ll need to know how much machine work will be needed, which can add up fast. if you could find a usable 350 block, then you can use the crank out of your 305 since they share the same stroke. after machine work along with the price of a rebuild kit and other pieces you`ll need, you`ll likely come out around $1000 if you chose your parts carefully and pay attention to all the details. but you likely won`t reach 300 horses, if your placing it into a camaro, I wouldn`t care about horsepower, it`s torque that moves all that sheet metal around, I would focus on building all the low end torque I could, this would make the car throttle responsive and fun to drive.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:39 AM

So you think building up my 305's low end would be better and cheaper than just adding horse power? I'm sure you have seen this in other posts that I have made but right now my car will not spin the tires from a dead stop. It also will not spin them if i hold down the break and give it some gas. Right now the way the car is set up it wouldent set any trac records but in a long run I wouldent be afraid to guess top speed of 130-140mph.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:20 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I know it's more than you can spend, but I'm seriously looking into building a 305 with a 3.75" stroke. I have a bunch of 305 blocks laying around here and I just got an interanlly balanced Eagle cast steel 3.75" stroke crank here that will fit nicely. Keith Black makes a piston that makes around 10-10.5:1 compression. It would make for a nice 305 sleeper.

tom
Old 05-10-2004, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Tom,
I've got a customer in OK that builds a bunch of those for CID limit classes, He says they run real good.

As people have said, CID is the easiest way to reach your goal of 300HP. Your $1K budget is going to be tight.

chris
Old 05-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

1k? Well, you should get a better set of heads first off, try something from the late 80's cameros (I have a set on my old 305, they have bigger valves and flow better). You can port those heads and shave them to give you a little more power. Go with a summit cam, 70 bucks for cam and lifters. Sure, they're not the best technology in the world, but they're VERY reliable and are actually pretty darned good quality.

Exhaust is an issue with a cam. Nothing is more counterproductive than porting your exhaust, putting a cam in a motor, and then running it through crappy manifolds! Get a set of headers, try to coat them as best you can (search the engine forum, there are some creative ideas!)

Above and beyond all else, your biggest issue is getting your car going fast, and to do that, you need a stall and some gears! Stall and gears will make 2x the difference per dollar spent than will motor upgrades... especially on a 305.

Horsepower takes finesse, but torque is simple: More cubes= more torque. Your best bet is to put some cubes under the hood (if I were you I'd just drop a 400 small block in it, even if its stock) and do your gears. You'll be about 1k into it as well depending on who you get the mill from.

K
Old 05-10-2004, 05:45 PM

Ok. If I put a new 4bbl 600cfm carb and eps performer intake and a cam to match would I be looking at a good set of torq gain or no? Right now its got the origiinal 2bbl carb and instake and cam in it. Also I could throw a set of roler rockers on there if you think it would help out. Oh also is this corect. With a stall installed the car wont go any were tell that rpm is hit right? I don't know if i could get away with a stall sence I drive this every day.

Last edited by hcker2000; 05-10-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

cam& intake will help. stay conservative, personally Id use either a 500 CFM Edelbrock, or a 570 Holley for a carb. you wont see much gain at that level with roller rockers
As far as a stall convertor goes, the car will still move, it just has more slippage at lower RPMs. something in the 1800-2000 RPM stall will help
Old 05-10-2004, 06:45 PM

Ok I think i understand the stall a little better. Ok so if I get a 2000rpm stall how hard of a mod is this to install? Also from what i'm hearing I would install the stall first then do the carb, intake, and cam. From what I gathered the car will drive close to normal with the stall in there but if i mash the gas it will alow the engen to rev to 2000 rpm and then kick in hard right?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

yes, basically thats it, have to pull the tranny of course to replace the torque convertor, & its also highky recomended to add a tranny cooler , stall convertors due develope more heat
Old 05-10-2004, 07:14 PM

My car already has a trany cooler on it. Or at least for the trany oil. Could any one suggest which stall to get. Preferable from jegs seance there is one close but if there is a big price difference then I would buy online to save the cash.

Last edited by hcker2000; 05-10-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:06 AM

Ya I'd junk the 305 and get a 350 and do a stock rebuild. Power has alot to do with heads so spend your money on some good ones such as some vortec's or world products sportman II heads with these matched to the right cam and a set of headers and you will be at your 300hp mark easy

How ever this is gonna be well over a grand to build
Old 05-11-2004, 07:33 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

One thing: If you use vortec heads, you'll have to use a vortec manifold, special manifold bolts, different valve covers and different head gaskets.

My thought would be,if you tried using a 1.94 valve from a vortec or other head, it may be shrouded more than the stocker due to the smaller piston diameter. Plus, if I remember right the cc's of a 305 are something like 58, aren't they? Vortecs are 64, so that would drop compression. Deck the heads and you have manifold sealing issues or machine work to the manifold.

Be patient and find an already built 350.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.