Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best way to get old paint off
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 07:41 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I always recommend that the work be done panel by panel. As you strip each pane, complete the work on that panel and prime before going to the next. That way you will have a bunch of small projects instead of one monster. It will also prevent the rust from taking over the panels that you have already stripped.

I regularly read posts warning not to sand blast panels due to warpage. This past weekend I sand blasted the hood for my 67 Mustang. There is no warpage what so ever in that panel. I believe that the problem with warpage is due to excessive pressure and holding the blaster in one place too long. I use a small blaster sold by Sears. I have a 5 HP compressor that puts out 125 PSI. I keep the gun moving like I'm painting, and don't want runs. If you do it with a large tarp down on the ground, you can reuse the sand several times. The outside of that hood was down to the bare metal(had been repainted once) in about 1 hour.