best way to install an engine? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 04:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

best way to install an engine?

hey guys, my project 69 cutlass is coming to a close, and its just about time to put the engine in the car. is it possible to bolt up the engine/convertor and tranny at the same time and put it in the car, or is it best to just put the engine in first, then the convertor followed by the tranny?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

You can install as an assembly or the engine first then the converter and the trans as an assembly. Do not install the converter separately you will have a bear of a time aligning the converter with the pump and could easily damage the pump.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

It really depends on how much room you have in the engine compartment. In most standard trans setups it's generally easier to install the engine/trans as a unit. With an automatic if you have the room you can install the assembly as a unit or most often it's just easier to lower the engine in place and then bolt the trans and converter on as an assembly. The converter needs to be installed on the trans first to engage the pump correctly. Failure to do this can, as has been mentioned already, damage the pump on the trans.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:39 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

My personal preference is to install them all in one piece because I have found it a real PITA to get a transmission to line up from under the car & this also affords me the ease of getting the converter into the pump and lined up to the flywheel easier.

You might find that its a little time consuming finding the proper angle to get it to slide down in the engine compartment I recently bought a tool for doing this but have never used it or one myself
I dont know the "proper" name for it but if you like I will snap a picture of it

Rob

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 01-16-2006, 04:50 PM

well the engine compartment is huge...but then again im using a big block with a th-400...so i think it will fill up the compartment nicely.

looks like i'll just put the engine in first, then put the con.+tranny together then bolt it up

thanks for the advice guys
Old 01-16-2006, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

tombo, if you have someone there to help guide it in, I'd do trans and engine as an assembly. You should have more room then I did in my nova, me and a friend put my bbc & 400 trans in pretty easy with just an engine hoist.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:04 PM

yea i have myself and my father to help me put it in, with one heavy duty engine hoist
Old 01-16-2006, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

I think it was already mentioned, but is worth repeating. Make sure converter is fully seated into pump. Don't forget to add fluid to converter.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:52 PM

alright cool, thats for all the help i appreciate it
Old 01-17-2006, 03:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Keller
You might find that its a little time consuming finding the proper angle to get it to slide down in the engine compartment I recently bought a tool for doing this but have never used it or one myself
I dont know the "proper" name for it but if you like I will snap a picture of it

Rob
Doc Here,

Inclinometer.....(<-SP?)

Doc
Old 01-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

I have done this one before...

My oldest son and I pulled a blown motor and trans out together from a 68 Cutlass S. He had removed the hood, radiator and disconnected everything, take the bolts out the the trans mount under the trans..we didn't have to pull the cross member..its up to you. I don't remember if we pulled the distributor..if it mounts at the back of the motor by the firewall pull it out or it will hit, same with the replacement motor before you install it, pull the distributor if it mounts on the rear of the block..look for the ground strap at the rear of the block...I don't remember if thats just on Chevy's or all GM cars and don't forget to disconnect the cable going to the odometer on the trans. He dropped the drive shaft from the rear end and pulled it out and we hooked up to the old motor and pulled it out and up to clear everything. Be careful of the firewall..if it swings to much you will dent or scrap the fire wall. The replacement motor and trans went back in the same way the old one came out..In one unit. You will need a hydraulic jack under the trans pan to help guide it over the trans mounting member and make sure of the motor mounts...Early/68 and 69.....and late/72 and up...350 Olds blocks don't use the same mount spot on the block....one mounts to the rear the other to the front..I don't remember which was right for the 68 so just be sure you have the right spot or you'll end up pulling it all back out and move the mount. Tie a rag over the end of the trans tail shaft or put a cap on it where the drive-shaft goes in or you'll leak out trans fluid. They sell those caps at the trans shops..maybe even Summit Racing has them...I save mine and haven't bought any recently.

Tazz
Old 01-17-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm454
My oldest son and I pulled a blown motor and trans out together from a 68 Cutlass S. He had removed the hood, radiator and disconnected everything, take the bolts out the the trans mount under the trans..we didn't have to pull the cross member..its up to you. I don't remember if we pulled the distributor..if it mounts at the back of the motor by the firewall pull it out or it will hit, same with the replacement motor before you install it, pull the distributor if it mounts on the rear of the block..look for the ground strap at the rear of the block...I don't remember if thats just on Chevy's or all GM cars and don't forget to disconnect the cable going to the odometer on the trans. He dropped the drive shaft from the rear end and pulled it out and we hooked up to the old motor and pulled it out and up to clear everything. Be careful of the firewall..if it swings to much you will dent or scrap the fire wall. The replacement motor and trans went back in the same way the old one came out..In one unit. You will need a hydraulic jack under the trans pan to help guide it over the trans mounting member and make sure of the motor mounts...Early/68 and 69.....and late/72 and up...350 Olds blocks don't use the same mount spot on the block....one mounts to the rear the other to the front..I don't remember which was right for the 68 so just be sure you have the right spot or you'll end up pulling it all back out and move the mount. Tie a rag over the end of the trans tail shaft or put a cap on it where the drive-shaft goes in or you'll leak out trans fluid. They sell those caps at the trans shops..maybe even Summit Racing has them...I save mine and haven't bought any recently.

Tazz

as of right now theres nothing in it whatsoever, i bought the car as a roller last year. im sure i can put it together as one unit..but from the overall response of everyone here and where i work, its probably better if i install the engine first, followed by the convertor on the tranny
Old 01-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you put the front up on jackstands a little it can also help with using a steeper angle to drop it in.I like putting them in together if at all possible. Lifting the front of the car gives you more tilt room, one of those sliding crankable engine booms is key. Just using a regular chain you will have issues trying to alter the original angle.

CAUTION if the tranny is filled you will have a mess unless you have a spare yoke to secure into it to seal up the back end.

With an auto it is not as hard to line up if the trans is in the car, standards can be a real *****, especially course spline input shafts.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:03 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Just for fun pretend you are under the car and try to get the trans up on the motor lying on your back or standing on your head tiring to hold the transmission while getting it lines up onto the dowel pins & getting the 1st 2 bolts in while it dangles over your head ........

any way...

DocVette whats this orange thinga migia called? For $20 I couldn't leave it all alone at the store

these are my other implements of installation the flat piece with the circle & slots I found in the dirt in a bone yard I didn't even realize what it was until about 4 years later {Doc If you know the name of it too?}
chain with ROUND hooks and anti slide/ adjustment bolts

Also the Round hook with the swivel is a nice option when swinging motors

And the Intake lift thing is cool in a tight spot

IMHO

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slowrides pictures#2 693.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	9297   Click image for larger version

Name:	slowrides pictures#2 694.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	9298   Click image for larger version

Name:	slowrides pictures#2 695.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	9299   Click image for larger version

Name:	slowrides pictures#2 696.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	9300   Click image for larger version

Name:	slowrides pictures#2 697.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	9301  

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 01-17-2006, 04:17 PM

haha damn, im being pulled in two directions here

i guess i'll at least give it a chance to bolt everything up and put everything in at once, im putting a pin-on hood onto the car anyway, and the radiator isn't in the car yet..if worse comes to worse i guess i can always just unbolt the tranny and convertor

looks like i'll just have to tilt the hell out of the car

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.