Best way to remove a trans am sub frame - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusthater89
Ok, So I could get wood and cut them to shape. I could then raise the car a little bit and stack the wood up supporting the frame and as well as wood stacks supporting both trans and engine oil pans. I then lower it onto the wood stacks. I then put wheel chocks on the rear tires so the car does not slide out. I remove the frame bushings. I Then carefully lift the body and rest the body on jack stands?

No, I am saying lift the body up on jack stands. You can put them under the sub frame as well until you get it up, but you need the body supported by the stands (or blocks of wood).

The tough part will be lifting the motor up to support it. I am thinking you won't need to lift the whole car, just the front. Remove the bolts from the motor mounts and tranny mount. Jack up the front of the car under the sub frame. Put stands under the body at the rockers. About an inch or so from touching. Then put blocks of wood under the engine oil pan and tranny pan, about a half inch from touching. Now let the jack down lowering the whole car, the motor and trans will rest on the wood blocks first lifting the motor and trans a little, then the body will come to rest on the stands. You now will have the motor and body supported. The motor and trans will be "floating" on the wood blocks and not touching the body or frame.

You then will loosen all the sub frame bolts and using your jack lower it off the bottom of the car.

I have to tell you, I still think this is crazy, but you wanted ideas.

I would do as Malc suggested and just remove the frame with the motor. But if you MUST have the frame out and leave the motor, what I explained is going to do it.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
Apart from all the problems youīll have to negociate,
just look at the size of the subframe....too much for one man and his girl.
That is what I am saying, if you were to have the motor up on blocks and the body supported by jack stands you could with the jack under the subframe crossmember remove the bolts and lower the jack. The sub frame will likely fall off the jack or something making it a friggin fight and a half but it will slip off on one side and you can drag it out.

My problem with this is it is VERY DANGEROUS! Without having the body properly supported with QUALITY jack stands, and BIG jack stands not the little "3 ton" Harbor freight junk but a 10 or 12 ton set it could EASILY fall over if the sub frame were to hit it.

Now, if the motor were out of the way this wouldn't be a big deal, you can work with it removing the sub frame would be MUCH easier. With the motor balancing up on stacks of wood you have a bunch of stuff that can go wrong.

This is really pushing it and dangerous. Can it be done safely, sure, but one wrong move and someone gets hurt or parts get broken.

Brian
Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok, So I could get wood and cut them to shape. I could then raise the car a little bit and stack the wood up supporting the frame and as well as wood stacks supporting both trans and engine oil pans. I then lower it onto the wood stacks. I then put wheel chocks on the rear tires so the car does not slide out. I remove the frame bushings. I Then carefully lift the body and rest the body on jack stands?
Please listen to Malc and I and get the proper tools to do this! If you leave the engine on the sub frame you can much more easily remove it all, just support it and unbolt it from the body that is supported by jack stands under the rockers, then pull the sub frame forward (it could even be on the wheels).

But honestly, this stuff is HEAVY and not real easy to man handle.

Brian
Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
A balancing act thatīs going to end in tears.
Better to construct a cradle for motor and trans and screw/nail/glue it all together, jackstands under the body.

When I was stuffed for a crane to get my motor out I ended up begging one off a local bodyshop for a couple of days.
I am so blessed, I can get this stuff so easy. I know it's not like this for everyone but I have a rental place no a quarter mile from me. But when I needed a hoist, I just made one phone call to a friend and he was there in literally minutes with a break down engine hoist in the bed of his truck for me. I actually have been storing it for him, I have it in my shed and have pulled and reinstalled the motors in my Gran Sport and Rambler with it.

But if I didn't have that one, I would rent or simply hunt one out thru my friends until I found one. There is no way I would do this without pulling the motor.

Brian
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Iīm thinking the best way to do this is, body off subframe/motor.
The trans crossmember nust be a part of or bolted to the front subframe,
so that has to be fixed, wheels immobilised.
At the trans crossmember insert fixed supports, as is, not raised.
The body to subframe mounts are removed and the body lifted and moved rearwards.
There is no way that subframe is coming out leaving the motor behind as
the motor/subframe is the subassembly not body/motor.

If this is to renew body mounts or paint the subframe as mentioned before, it can be done without removal, one side at a time is how you do it.

If you get it done, remember it all has to manhandled back into place.....

Remember how many men it took to do this sort of thing on Overhaulinī ?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Wait, I never said I wanted to remove the frame and leave the engine there on the floor. I wanted to remove the frame with the engine and trans still attached.

You guys got me confused, I only wanted to remove the sub frame bolts/bushings so I could paint the firewall, floors, and frame easier. I then plan to use new bushings that I bought for reassembly.

I never intended to remove the engine/trans from the sub frame, I only wanted to remove body from sub frame.

Last edited by rusthater89; 04-29-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
What is the best way to remove a 1978 Trans Am sub frame without removing the engine or trans.
We misunderstood.

What is the best way to remove a 1978 Trans Am sub frame with the engine and trans in situ ?

Better ?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

Yes, I'll correct it.

What is the best way to remove a 1978 Trans Am sub frame from the body without removing the engine or trans from the sub frame.

Sorry after I re read my original statement I could see how it could be confusing.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes, I'll correct it.

What is the best way to remove a 1978 Trans Am sub frame from the body without removing the engine or trans from the sub frame.
Post #20.

Like I said you can renew your body mounts without removing the subframe entirely, do one side at a time.

When I painted my firewall I removed pieces as necessary to get access, not the whole poophouse.

I sure do wish I had the heavy stuff to get this sort of thing done, Iīd like to lower the front axle of my 3rd gen but itīs too much for me alone.
I could build a cradle across the front fenders to hold the motor up while the axle came down, but like you Iīm one person.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Like this but without ruining the fenders and paint

Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Will this idea work?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 PM

Put the wheels and tires back on and it will roll out with out much problem. You just need to support the rear of the sub frame, 1 person can do it
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Will this idea work?
In that case the motor is coming out with the sub frame, is that what you want?

Brian
Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM

Are you trying to remove sub frame and engine to gather. If that's the case jack up car put jack Stands on pinch rails. Then use two jacks on rear of sub frame .one on each side put front tires on undo you bolts and roll it out .if you are doing it in a garage.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 AM

Last photo:

Yes Brian, I do NOT want to remove the engine or the trans from the sub frame. I only want to remove the sub frame from the body.

Let me make sure I got it right.

I put front wheels on the sub frame. I support the rear of sub frame. I undo the sub frame bushings. I lift body and roll it away.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.