Hot Rod Forum banner

Best way to remove a trans am sub frame

21K views 60 replies 13 participants last post by  rusthater89 
#1 ·
What is the best way to remove a 1978 Trans Am sub frame without removing the engine or trans.

#55 ·
Quick questions.

What would be the best way to attach the crane to the engine to pull both engine and trans out? Should I attach brackets to the intake bolts? Should I use the thermostat bolts, etc?

It looks like the headers may not be able to come out with the engine. Do people normally install headers from the bottom? It looks to be a very tight fit.

Thanks in advance.

#56 ·
Lift from the front of one head and the back of the other. (front left and back right is what i use because of tranny dipstick tube). Use any grade 5 bolt that fits. I use two from the accessories or intake bolts work too.

Headers are usually easier to install from under but most of the time you can pull them with the engine. Is easier though if you take them off.

#57 · (Edited by Moderator)
Boy, what fun I had today.

I removed part of the exhaust(headers to muffler joint pipe) to allow ease when working on the floor rust. Whoever installed it used one of those dumb clamps that crush the pipe. I tried to remove it without cutting but got fustrated and just chopped it off. I'll weld it back later.

I still had the slip yoke in the rear of the tranny. I tried to put a milk jug under it to catch the tranny fluid when I slid the shaft out the rear. The darn uv joint on the shaft hit the funnel spilling tranny fluid all over me and the floor. When I finally got the funnel back under it, turns out the damn jug was leaking.

When all hell was done I was finally ready to pull out the engine/trans. I got the mounts off the frame and tried to slide the engine/tran out. Turns out the header is getting caught on the bottom of the firewall where it meets the floor.

I am done for today. I guess tommorow I have to yank out the headers.

Wish me luck!!!!!

#58 ·
The F-cars generally won't sallow the engine to be pulled w/the headers attached- as you found out. You don't need to try to remove them, though. Just remove the bolts and slide them away from the engine just enough so they don't catch on anything.

When reinstalling the engine I set the headers loosely into the engine compartment then slip the engine down between them. Tighten once the engine is settled into place.

If you cut the exhaust gaskets (some gaskets come that way) you can install some of the bolts first, then slip the gasket in between the header and head. On a 1-piece exhaust gasket you only need to slot the end holes and maybe one more towards the middle. The exhaust gaskets shown below have worked well for me in the past even though they're made for stock-type cast iron manifolds.

Good luck.

#61 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.