Hot Rod Forum banner

Best way to tap dings out of a painted surface?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Ripped 
#1 ·
I have a small dent (Projecting out), on my painted front fender.
Easily accessable

Obviously, if I just hammer and dolly it, it will damage the paint.
What is the best way to tackle this?

Would covering it up with a few layers of masking tape, prior to using a hammer and dolly,be sufficient protection?
Thanks

#3 ·
"Would covering it up with a few layers of masking tape, prior to using a hammer and dolly,be sufficient protection?"

Better to put 4 - 5 layer of tape on the hammer face so you see what you're doing.

Be sure the backside of the fender is clean also, any dirt or crud will get imprinted into the fender as ripples.

Godd luck with it.

#4 ·
Another trick is to use a wooden golf tee with a blunted end to hit with a hammer. The paintless dent guys use a plastic version of this, I got a few but before I did it was a blunted golf tee for me.

Brian

#5 · (Edited)
I have a Ford Pickup that I bought new in 1995 (I'm still not sure why I keep it, but it's in like new condition)-anyway, I put in some new high end Speakers for my Stereo, and I used too long of a screw, which pooched out the metal on the outside (it's in the rear corner of the Cab)-

Anyway, I took it to a paintless dent repair shop, and he used a white plastic (Delrin?) type of tool that had a blunt end, and used it in a tuck shrinking method type of motion and you cannot tell that an idiot was at work (me!)- :sweat:

I would suggest talking to a PDR guy-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.