Best Welder to buy - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 03:28 PM
41' Chevy Master DeLuxe Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Engine/Trans Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I've been looking at the new Lincoln 215. Pretty nice machine. Worth comparing to the others. I must say though I am partial to Miller machines. I started out welding in a large shop with a 300 amp Miller, with 50 lb spool feeder and a long Bernard gun lead. That machine seemed like you could weld all day without stopping. And pretty much did that. We built Grain handling equipment (plumbing) for elevators and it would handle light gage to heavy gage easily. I have a small Lincoln mig now in my shop and should have saved for the bigger one. If anything, Go for as big a duty cycle as you can afford. The bigger duty cycle the longer you can weld and the heavier material can be welded with ease.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2006, 07:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

welder

Thanks, I'm going for the biggest I can afford.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:26 PM

For a mig,I have a little Lincoln Flux core.And for tig I have a Miller synchrowave 250.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

welder

Thanks, Crash
Old 10-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I just bought one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
and it'll pretty much cover me for my welding needs.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:37 AM

Last journal entry: 500" roller motor for the coupe
Last photo:

I've got a Lincoln 175 with the taps. For the amount of welding I do, I really couldnt think of when I would need the infinite adjustment the untaped machine provides. To date it done an awesome job and is VERY well built IMO.
I use .035 flux for most of the welding and drop it down to .025 on 25/75 mix of argon and CO2...
I still have an old Lincoln 225 buzzbox but it pretty much sets and an old Daytona pocket mig that I bought way back in the early 90s. Served the purpose for alot of years but I wouldnt recommend it. No anywhere as well made as the Lincolns or Millers.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have a little Lincoln 110v machine that works great. Again to echo others, I do wish that I had bought a bigger unit, but the 110v was a requirement for, if no other reason, portability. Not everyplace has a convenient source of 220v.

I tried to use it as-purchased with flux core wire for about two weeks. Weld splatter while working on automobile pieces becomes an unacceptable by product. I purchased the largest available tank rather than lease as well as the mod kit for the welder. This added another well spent $150 more or less to the ~$350 I spent for the welder itself (yeah, I know, probably too much) and have never looked back. I still have the spool of flux core and whip liner if I ever want to weld something like a snow plow or some rusty sheet metal.

As far as brands, Lincoln, Miller or Hobart and maybe ESAB - you can't go wrong.

Dave
Old 10-16-2006, 02:34 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This is the new MIG welder that Lincoln is pushing in their newsletter. You might want to check it out.
Power Mig 140 & 180
Old 10-16-2006, 03:31 PM

re-welders

while everyone has an opinion,you didn,t say what you would like to weld
definitely lincoln. i have the following and will tell you good and bad.
1.lincoln sp-135 works great up-to 3/16" after that pre-heat(fault- it's stupid proof has 110 so everbody wants to borrow it.
2.lincoln 175 (220 & no body has that in many garages at home)good choice welds up to 5/16 very well
3.lincoln sp-250 digital(it,s the absolute best & don't let stranger's play with
the arrangements.with that said i often use my ac-dc stick weld for out-side because of the wind.
4.lincoln 175 tig & stick (the best choice & with some welding lessons will last you a life time(fault is it's a little more than a beginner should spend.try & see if some of these good guy's close to you has anything used, they might want to up-grade. justin

p.s. if coming to kingston i would be glad to help as i was taught by some very good welders and often like to return favours.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:34 PM

sorry i hit wrong button (oop,s)

Last edited by justin cache; 10-16-2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: oop's still learning to post
Old 10-16-2006, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Best Welder

Well I bought a Lincoln, its good from sheet metal up to 1/4 , its set up for flux core wire and you can add a gas kit to make it a mig. I really don't know the difference, I've only got to play with it a little, but I love it. And I'm not very experienced with electric welding, use to gas welding, but this is great and runs on 110 so I can use it in my work area, which is an outdoor canopy setup, no garage.
Also picked up a 65 ElCamino, which needs no welding, and is almost rust free. Paid $4000.00 , which I think is a bargain even though its not all original.

Thanks everyone for your input. Bob
Old 10-16-2006, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
Well I bought a Lincoln, its good from sheet metal up to 1/4 , its set up for flux core wire and you can add a gas kit to make it a mig. I really don't know the difference, I've only got to play with it a little, but I love it. And I'm not very experienced with electric welding, use to gas welding, but this is great and runs on 110 so I can use it in my work area, which is an outdoor canopy setup, no garage.
Also picked up a 65 ElCamino, which needs no welding, and is almost rust free. Paid $4000.00 , which I think is a bargain even though its not all original.

Get the gas kit and a bottle with C25 gas and you'll never go back to flux core! Very little spatter and no slag to clean up and a whole lot better looking welds. The ONLY time I use flux core is I can't remember when.

gcrmcc
Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash

With your work area outdoors flux core is the way to go. Once you get inside tho you might want to add the gas kit.
BTW nice find on the El Camino and what do you mean no welding? Did it come with a rollcage?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 PM

"7 taps on the millermatic do a good job of covering everything or would having a continuously variable adjustment".

For the best I rely on the Miller (1991) fully loaded Synchrowave 350 Tig, for fast general work the Millermatic 251 Mig fully variable adjustable with a 30A spoolgun. Between welders, lathe and Bridgeport mill in the garage i'm a happy and serious hobby person. As stated before go oversize or more than you think you'll ever need, later on you'll grow into them and glad you purchased right the first time. For me all the above have been paid for (tax write off) and now are free to play with.
.....=o&o>.....
Old 10-17-2006, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

welder - c25 gas

I like the sounds of the results you get with gas, but several people tell me since I do my welding in the driveway the gas will just blow away, and I'll have no sheilding? With no experience I have to take advice when I get it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.