Best width for fendered 31 model A - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best width for fendered 31 model A

Trying to figure the best width for a rear end that will get as much tire inside the fenders and still have a fairly deep rim. I've herd everything from 53" to 56". I'm thinking 53" might be the best for a little deeper rim. Any help or advice would be great.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

You should ALWAYS measure the rear end from the wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange. Backing plate to backing plate will vary because of the different offesets of the brake drums and brake drum widths.

With that being stated ... most Model A guys try to get down to the 56 inch wide mark. There are no factory 9 inch Fords that narrow so folks use a 57 to 59 Ford car rear end ( 58 inches ) if they just have to have a 9 inch. A early Maverick with the 5 lug wheel pattern is a 8 inch series rear end and most Model A guys use them because they are 56 inches wide.

There may be other rears that are the narrow width but I prefer the 8 inch/9 inch Fords for ease of parts and serviceability.

On my 32 Ford 3W coupe ... my engine is 430 horsepower so I was afraid to use the 8 inch Ford so I narrowed a 9 inch Ford down to 56 inches.

I wanted the 235/75/15R tires under the fenders ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 02-06-2012, 08:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

My '31 has a '57 Ford 9" rear - but you do need to be cautious with wheel back spacing unless you like tires hanging outside of the fender. These wheels are 17x8 w/ 3.75 back space and a 31" tall tire

Dave W
Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Best rear end width for model A

Thanks for the reply. If you used a 57 ford rear end, would that be 52"wide, flange to flange? Great looking roadster!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullfendered
Thanks for the reply. If you used a 57 ford rear end, would that be 52"wide, flange to flange? Great looking roadster!
It's the narrowest at 57.25. I've seen that 52" figure as well in several sources. Here's a real good write up > Then there is this one.

Another good choice or two is the 8" plus the Explorer 8.8 with the integral parking brake. Both of these are plenty strong enough for 3-400 Hp
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 AM
29ster

Last journal entry: Rear suspension
Last photo:

Front Tire size, wheel size and setback

Dave, what size tires/wheels and setback do you have on the front of your A? Do the tires rub the inner fenders or the supports? BTW, my Heidts front end (like yours), the lower arm front pivots run into the radiator splash shield. Yours seem to clear. Did you modify the shield?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 AM

wider fenders for 1931 hotrod

You might look at the rear fenders for Model A pickup truck, they are wider than the fenders for a coupe or tudor.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Dave, what size tires/wheels and setback do you have on the front of your A? Do the tires rub the inner fenders or the supports? BTW, my Heidts front end (like yours), the lower arm front pivots run into the radiator splash shield. Yours seem to clear. Did you modify the shield?

These are the wheels - Billet Specialties GTX01 Fronts are 15x6/3.5BS, tires, Yokohama AVS Z 205-60x15(wide!!).

This happens to be a rear and are 17's, but the design is the same with 3.75 BS instead of 3.5.

Those rear fenders on mine are from an 'A' pickup. The only difference - no holes for light stands.

The chassis and front suspension are TCI, not Heidt's so it might be that the mounting points are different. The only parts that I had to modify were the front fender braces. What I did was to cut a 'U' shaped notch in them to clear the upper support. I have lots of clearance as shown in the bottom photo:

Any other ideas/questions/problems - give me a shout or PM and maybe I've figured it out for mine

Dave W

Last edited by Irelands child; 02-15-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

rearend size

I have a 31 chevy coupe with stock rear fenders and have a 56" old 10 bolt chevy from an old nova. MY wheels stick out about 2" but there MT 12" wide on torque thrust rims. sc
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Differential width.

For the first differential I installed under my A I used a 57 Chevy car. I believe it to be 54". If you like Ford differentials the 55-56-57 station wagon differentials are narrower than the other Ford cars and fit well. In the car I am building now I am using the differential out of a S-10 pickup.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30streetrod
For the first differential I installed under my A I used a 57 Chevy car. I believe it to be 54". If you like Ford differentials the 55-56-57 station wagon differentials are narrower than the other Ford cars and fit well. In the car I am building now I am using the differential out of a S-10 pickup.
You really don't want a '55-56 wagon differential as it is an impossible unit to source parts for, is a weakling drop out the back rather then a later, '57 up removable carrier 9" differential. There are a couple of 8" units that will work fine, but they are also getting difficult to find parts for these days. As for '57-'59 parts - not a problem, especially if you have the original pieces in hand as bearings and seals are standard parts
Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

rearend size

I checked the rearend i have in my 31 and its a 68-79 nova 10 bolt, 8.5 gear. the outside dim is 60 1/4" from the outside of the brake drum, and 53 1/2" inside backing plate to backing plate. Easy to get parts. I rebuilt all the brakes form the NAPA store.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.