Best and worse cordless drill? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thanks, will give that a try next time

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Last photo:

FWIW: It is bad practice to solder directly on to the top or bottom of a NICAD or NIMH battery. The heat required to accomplish a good connection on the top will damage the battery vent system. The result is a drastic reduction in charge/discharge cycles. I purchase cells with solder tabs already spot welded to them to avoid having to solder diretly onto the cells.

Vince
Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
I am a big Milwaukee fan, and when I though I'd lost my 12v cordless (which I loved), I went and bought one of these:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...ordless+System

I bought it as a kit (w/2 Batteries, a Charger and Case)-it has tons of torque, takes a good while to run the Battery out, and has been my favortie Drill-I would highly recommend it-I did find my old 12V, and while it is a good unit, the 18 kills it hands down-
I have the Milwaukee, it will hurt you if you're not ready for the torque. I've had a few Makitas, they're good tools, although I have heard the new Mikitas don't hold a candle to the old ones. My only gripe about my Milwaukee is the weight, and it's a bit awkward at times. The 90 degree Makita is a very handy tool to own for the tight spaces.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Craftsman 19.2v .. battery packs work with all of their other cordless tools too... everything else is overpriced rubbish unless you're a professional construction worker...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

I'm absolutely thrilled with my craftsman 19.2 stuff... plenty of power, they seem to last long enough, use them all the time and I haven't managed to kill a battery yet (got 2 with the set that I bought, and bought an extra at the same time because I had a coupon, an all 3 are still working well). If you need more they're compatible with their LI packs

OH, and compared to anything even close, they're cheap
Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Last journal entry: headliner bow ends
Last photo:

Hitachi Model: DS18D
570 inch pounds of torque, one of the highest I've seen ( most companies don't even list this spec )
18 Volt Li Ion batteries, rated 3 Amp Hour, also the highest rated I've seen ( typical rating is 1-2 Amp Hr for most)
2 batteries
45 min. charger
keyless chuck
nice plastic case
10 year warranty
This is the highest rated drill I've seen. The torque is amazing, I was sinking 5/16 x 3" lag bolts like they were drywall screws.
Bought it at Lowes, clearance price $170.00
Replaced my faithful old Makita 9.6 volt. It served me well for 17 years, but alas nothing lasts forever!

Last edited by Duane lxiv; 06-24-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Last photo:

I hate keyless chucks

Vince
Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I hate keyless chucks

Vince
Vince - I usually change them out with a Jacobs but just for the heluvit I left it on my Bosch just to see if it was any good. I am surprised that it is every bit as good as any 1/2" Jacobs. The Bosch somehow locks the shaft so that you can tighten the bit right down. Even the 1/2" wont spin in that chuck - a sore wrist told me that when it caught . I'm a convert - at least with this drill and had to return that Jacobs I had bought back to Home Depot. My 1/2" corded Bosch has a replacement Jacobs chuck on it and it will slip a bit fairly easily

Dave W
Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

My neighbor turned me on to the fact that the Craftsman 19.2 C3 series tools are clones of the Ryobi's.

I got both of them in a kit ... on sale from the annual tool sale catalog ... for a little less than $150.00 CDN. The kit included both drivers (the first one pictured is an impact style that delivers 900 in/lb of torque) 2 batteries and the one-hour charger.

I love the impact driver, especially. It's small, light, well-balanced, and the battery life is very good as well.

I had a Delta 14V (power screwdriver) prior to that ... and there is just no comparison.

Before that a "Power XT" (El Cheapo Junko) 14 V.
I still have it, and it still works, but it's laying on the bench gathering dust. It would drive about 8 (?) #8 x 3-1/2 inch deck screws before the battery crapped out.
The Delta unit was just marginally better. (10 to 12 screws)
Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Just picked up a right angle drill - craftsman 19.2v brand new on ebay for $39 bucks.. cant beat the price and it works with my existing 19.2v battery packs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
My neighbor turned me on to the fact that the Craftsman 19.2 C3 series tools are clones of the Ryobi's.

I got both of them in a kit ... on sale from the annual tool sale catalog ... for a little less than $150.00 CDN. The kit included both drivers (the first one pictured is an impact style that delivers 900 in/lb of torque) 2 batteries and the one-hour charger.

I love the impact driver, especially. It's small, light, well-balanced, and the battery life is very good as well.

I had a Delta 14V (power screwdriver) prior to that ... and there is just no comparison.

Before that a "Power XT" (El Cheapo Junko) 14 V.
I still have it, and it still works, but it's laying on the bench gathering dust. It would drive about 8 (?) #8 x 3-1/2 inch deck screws before the battery crapped out.
The Delta unit was just marginally better. (10 to 12 screws)
Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

I've got the same set and love it... that little impact driver is a workhorse and it really doesn't use a lot of power... when I recharge a battery pack I usually drop it in the drill and take the partially used one from the drill and put it in the driver, and still get most of a day's use out of it. I've driven piles of 3" deck screws with mine, torn down transmissions various other assemblies, I spent last weekend with it taking appart my father-in-law's ham antennas (like 6thousand little U bolts and screws holding all the crosspieces together, everyone that was there was fighing me for my driver).

I really want to get the right angle drill and they just released a full size impact gun, like to change tires...

The only only negative thing I have to say about it is that my drill (not exactly the one in the picture, but the 1/2" drive with screw on handle that they offered earlier with the impact driver) came with a chuck that wobbled a little bit. I exchanged it for one that was straight but in the mean time I got my hands on a jacobs 700 series chuck that I originally bought to replace the one that I broke on my Milwakee hole shooter and ended up with 2 so I put one on it. BTW, that drill will drive 3 and 4" deck screws all day, even into hardwood... I've never snapped so many hardened screws before I owned this thing.

BTW, I bought mine, drill + impact driver + charger and 2 batteries in a set, + another extra battery durring a father's day sale with another coupon (I think it was a 20% off) and ended up walking out of the store with all that for $80some...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:

I am a Milwaukee fan also, like the way the chuck works the bits do not slip.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 AM

Last photo:

Which type of batteries are best? Lthium batteries are the newest technology.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
Which type of batteries are best? Lthium batteries are the newest technology.

Yes, lithium - if you can justify the up to 50% price difference vs what you need that drill to do
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Yes, lithium - if you can justify the up to 50% price difference vs what you need that drill to do
Yes, lithium polymer are the best and a lot better than NICAD or NIMH. You cannot however use you NICAD or NIMH charger to charge lithium polymer batteries. They take a completely different charging technology and will be damaged if a NICAD or NIMH charger is used on them. Fires have resulted from people using NICAD and NIMH chargers on LIPO cells.

Vince

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.