Better 60' times - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 11:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fiberglass Bumpers

M & M Custom, where you order the plastic bumpers? I have a street/track 66 Malibu and want to lose weight up front.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

thread stealer. lol
Old 04-18-2006, 06:04 AM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

I am trying to figure a rear gear ratio that will put my car more in the 6500 range at the end of the track. I am just trying to stay in the power band for my car. As it is right now I am crossing the line at about 5300 with the 3.73 right now and that just isn't cutting it for me. I have only seen two gear ratio that they make for my car that I would consider and that is the 4.10 and 4.56. From the calculators I have tried, the 4.10 would put me in the 6000 6100 area and the 4.56 put me right on the mark at 6500. The thing is I know you just can't go by calculators there has to be other factors involved, like converter slip and what not. The car pulls past 6500, actually there is pull all way through 7grand but I am not uneasy with that rpm. Does anyone have an idea what kind of rpm I would really be at the end of the 1/4
with 26 inch slicks and a set of 4.56 rears 3000 max stall. To help out there is a lot of information about my car in the rest of this tread along with track times??

Please hotrodders out there give me some insight>>>>Thank you for your time
Old 04-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I don't really know about the availability of fiberglas body parts for your 66, I have only seen parts for mine and some other more popular cars, I wasn't really looking, If I remember the link and get bored I will will search and see if there is anything available for you and give you their link through a PM.

I would recommend the 4.10 gear ratio in this case, it will raise the RPM's to a more acceptable level to get you the ET's you are looking for, to get in between the gear ratio's you stated, you can play with tire sizes a little bit to get in between those ratio's but really not all that much with the tires you need to keep some decent traction.

I would completely forget the mention of the Southside Machine bars, they went out of business a couple years ago and there was a HUGE write-up on Maliburacing.com and the owner of the company even became a member to help out, and things just flopped for that company all together, I would do a search over there to see what some of them are using, and some of the recommendations I made are from what I read over there, as those guys are in the know for the amount of guys running the 78-87 A/G body cars on the track.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

I have run the McCreary street slicks. They require a burnout to get them soft. When you get them working right they will have fine cracks across the face of the rubber like slicks, like they are rippin the pavement. Drag radials will work better though. The McCrearys are air pressure sensitive. Do some hard starts on clean pavement and adjust the air until you get a uniform patch of rubber.
The guys I know that run Buick GN turbo cars get 1.60 60' times on slicks and drag radials. The cars are heavy enough that you don't have to worry about weight transfer. Just try to limit front end lift so the energy is converted into forward motion instead.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.