Better 60' times - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Redman Racing

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Better 60' times

Better 60' times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know where to put this one so here it goes,

A friend of mine just sold me a pair of McCreary L60 Road star DOT slicks. They measure like 26 in diameter and 10 in tread width. They are about 10 1/2 to 11in in total width. I am about to buy a set of rims to mount them on but was wondering if any of yous have experience with this tire??? My last time at the track my best 60' was 2.33 and I am really trying to get it down.

Thanks for your time!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 02:46 PM

the dirt track tires will pick u up over regular radials but u must heat them up pretty good with my 69 nova with the same tires u got i had a 1.85 60 ft but i had morso trick springs and 90/10 shocks up front but if uve got the cash go with a good slick its well worth it picked me up over a 1/10 going form drit track tires to a 9inch slick
Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

anyone else have anything??? I have read off other web sites good things. quess I just got to try them out

Thanks phatratnova for the reply
Old 03-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmo
anyone else have anything??? I have read off other web sites good things. quess I just got to try them out

Thanks phatratnova for the reply

how about you tell us what car you are working on?

leaf springs or coils on the rear make for different things to change or alter to help traction.

Gear ratio , tranny , converter stall? , manual tranny?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

how about you tell us what car you are working on? - 85 Olds Cutlass. 307 pulled and 350 with AFR195, ex284 and the rest of the goods no power adders.(front sits a couple inches high since I have removed alot of weight) I would say I am in or over the 400hp mark.

leaf springs or coils on the rear make for different things to change or alter to help traction. - Rear suspension is redone with moog replacement springs,boxed lower control arms,tubular upper control arms, new axle housing bushings, 3 way adjustable shocks. Everything polyurethane even the coil spring isolators, stock rear sway bar. Front sway bar removed. Battery in trunk passenger side. Just check out the Photo album.

Gear ratio , tranny , converter stall? , manual tranny? 3.73, 2004r, 3,000 stall.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the above tire I mentioned??

I know that if I really wanted to put the power down I need race springs all around and a pair of slicks. just haven't got there yet.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:56 AM

There's guys running 10 seconds flat 1/4 miles on 235/60/15 BFG drag radials and caltrac bars at Gateway International Raceway.
Carl
Old 03-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

My last time at the track my best 60' was 2.33 all over the place and ended with a 13.33 @110 I am really trying to get it down. That was then now I have a full msd ignition and 50% underdrive pulley kit. The motor really likes to go.

i was running 245/60/15 street tires with a quick 1into2 smokey burn-out. The car is very aggresive off the line. footbrake and all.

I didn't relize you said drag radial.........

Last edited by oldsmo; 03-23-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

With a 110 MPh trap speed your engine is making some pretty decent power.
I ran a set of these in the past and they do require a pretty decent burnout.
1.80 60ft is what I think I pulled with them. That was quite a few years ago.

good luck....
Old 03-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

The thing is is that I have been telling people about my trap speeds and they cant understand why I could have a 13.33(total stock ignition). And now with the mods Speed shops and racers that I talk tell I should be getting low 12's with my car if I can get a good hook.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

An air bag inside the right rear coil spring, and play around with the air pressures, start low go up 5 psi at a time until it changes back for the worse.

This is a common practice.

Another big thing would be to lower the frontend if it's too high, at least down to level with the rear if not lower.

EVERYTHING COUNTS, have the alignment checked and set the toe-out to minimum recommended, and make sure it tracks straight with the rear axle.

What front shocks and what valving rates?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

What front shocks and what valving rates?--regular stock replacements. I quess I should put an order in for some moroso trick front(and rear) springs and adjustable 90/10 type shocks, that is where I quess you were headed with that one.. The front end is probably killing me because of the springs and shocks, being that I ripped the olds 307 and the ac and replaced with a 350 with aluminum heads and fiberglass hood. The 307 so freaking heavy compared to the 350. The front end is just a little higher than the rear which is crazy because I have brand new rear springs in. I quess I am getting to he piont were I have the power, now I need the wieght tranfer.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

90/10's or even 70/30's will definitely help you out, have you checked to see if there are more body parts made out of fiberglass, I know I could get both bumpers, hood, front fenders, and trunk lid, for my Malibu if I wanted to go that route.

The reason I mentioned the air bag is if you have much chassis twist when taking off the line, about the only you can determine this is to have someone take a video of your car and look at it closely for front rise, rear drop, and twist, which will cause the right rear to drop more than the left even with the sway bar (which actually helps with this too).
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

I was already getting the camera ready. I was discussing that with a friend. I want a back and front shot. All this talking and all I wanted to know Is if anyone had experience with the particular tire. I like the conversasion though. When I get the video I will try to upload for yous. It will be sometime in mid-late april I will be headded to atco. I just got the wheels in 15x8 - 3 1/2 bs Draglites in today. Had to send the msd sparkplug wires back because they sent me the wrorg ones. Getting the cooling system ready and I will be on my way. Just have to figure out what is going to brake first when I finally get that first hard hook-do you want to start taking bets?

So it is anomonous dissision that I have to heat the McCreary l60 (dirt) tires pretty good??

And the air bag thing- I think I rather just go with the race springs.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

Have you thought about something that adds anti-squat, such as Southside Lift Bars or something along that line?
Old 04-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

well they do require a good burnout and I am sold. I got a 1.745 and ended with a 12.25@110. That is with stock trans and rear, can't wait till I get the rest of the work done and the front suspension done. Thanks for the tip on the burnout. since I have the one Leger I foot-brake it at 2 grand.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.