better to build? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

better to build?

if given the choice, what would yall rather build up?
and which one would give me more bang for my buck?

1973 (400 c.i.d.) #481988 which i can get for $200

or

1973 (455 c.i.d.) #485428 which i can get for $300

both are Poncho motors and complete from intake to pan

the guy said both come with 4x heads

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

which one huum

You know if you are going to spend the 455 will rule over the 400 in word and cubic inches. Both pretty much fit. Good luck choosing. But torque rules for fun.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

If you are building a street engine, go with the 455, there's no substitute for cubic inches! If you are building a race only engine and plan on 650 hp or more, go with the 400 block because there is more iron between the crank and the cam due to the smaller main journals. If you are building a race only engine, I would highly recommend using an aftermarket block.

Bill
Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

what i want to build is cruiser with the occassional drag. mostly just to beat the crap out of all the ricers around my area. although there is a 69 chevelle and a 68 camaro that i want to whomp on just to show poncho power, but like i said i really want a bad *** cruiser with some serious torque. i was thinking of 3.73 gears and a 200-4r tranny, tell me what you think, and any ideas of what to put in the motor, i.e. crank, pistons, bore size, intake, heads, etc...
Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroManiacUSMC
what i want to build is cruiser with the occassional drag. mostly just to beat the crap out of all the ricers around my area. although there is a 69 chevelle and a 68 camaro that i want to whomp on just to show poncho power, but like i said i really want a bad *** cruiser with some serious torque. i was thinking of 3.73 gears and a 200-4r tranny, tell me what you think, and any ideas of what to put in the motor, i.e. crank, pistons, bore size, intake, heads, etc...
A 455 would probably do the job, but if you need to push the horsepower, I'd go woth the 400 block with an aftermarket forged stroker crank with aftermarket forged rods. I would have the block sonic checked before boring more than .030". Being that you're in South Carolina, you might want to get hold of Jim Butler in Tennessee; http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/ He builds a hell of a Pontiac and probably can supply everything that you might need. He could even supply you with an aluminum Pontiac block, if that is what you wanted and his service is great!

Last edited by WDCreech; 11-07-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

yeah im trying to stay as cheap as i can but still get plenty of horse and lots of torque, say maybe 500hp which shouldnt be too hard
Old 11-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Well I bought the 455. Its got some rust in the even cylinders so its seized but it's not too bad and its standard bore. I was planning on going 60 over anyhow. The Guy even lowered the price to $250 and threw in a 4bbl q-jet. Who am I to pass it up
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Before you bore it .060, you had better have it sonic checked. I had a 455, a few years ago that would only go a max of .030 without filling the block.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

yeah i opened the motor up today. your all going to say "lol classic" i found Oily the mouse ad one of his buddies in the pan. the #8 piston was in there pretty good but i eventually got it out. there is some rust in the bores, but its not too bad. you can still see the cross-hatch so to agree with you yes im going to have it cleaned up and checked first. one of my buddies also recommended only going .030 over as well. the only reason i was thinking of .060 was to get my 1:1 stroke/bore. but all said the block is in great shape. i will get the measurements later but the crank is in great condition and doesnt look like its ever been turned
Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Before you get too deep in this build you need to figure out what heads you are going to use. I built a 461 out of a 68 400 block and ran out of money to get a good set of heads so I just but the stock 6x-8 heads on it to get me by. It probably only made about 350-370 horsepower and around 450ft/lbs. It was fun but you would not really have at beating a really good small block or bbc without good head combo.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

well right now i have two choices for heads, i can either use my 4x-1H which i cc'd at 112cc or my 6x-8 heads which i havent cc'd yet but supposedly come in at 98 cc's. which ones would yall reccomend? i could buy a set of rpm's but i wanted to use that money for a new rotating assembly
Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroManiacUSMC
well right now i have two choices for heads, i can either use my 4x-1H which i cc'd at 112cc or my 6x-8 heads which i havent cc'd yet but supposedly come in at 98 cc's. which ones would yall reccomend? i could buy a set of rpm's but i wanted to use that money for a new rotating assembly
With the 4X-1H, you still have a smog engine and it won't be very impressive. The 6X-8 will be slightly better. Best bet would be to keep looking until you find a pair of 5C-4 or 5C-7 (best), or 4C-5 or 46, or 6X-4 or 6S-7. The 5C heads have screw in rocker studs, the 4C and 46 heads will have screw in studs if they were cast after April '73 (Dxx3). There may be exceptions, so be sure to check. Most 6X or 6S heads will have pressed in studs, so again, check.

Bill
Old 11-09-2010, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

ok thanks creech i will keep an eye out. and if any of yall have some, hollar at me
Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM

I have a good question for you? What is the fastest car you have ever driven? That would give me a better understanding of what you are looking for as far as performance. I would like to share some of the pitfalls that I went through building my 461. I am from the aiken area so I can try and lead you in the right direction. What is your budget for this build?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCreech
With the 4X-1H, you still have a smog engine and it won't be very impressive. The 6X-8 will be slightly better. Best bet would be to keep looking until you find a pair of 5C-4 or 5C-7 (best), or 4C-5 or 46, or 6X-4 or 6S-7. The 5C heads have screw in rocker studs, the 4C and 46 heads will have screw in studs if they were cast after April '73 (Dxx3). There may be exceptions, so be sure to check. Most 6X or 6S heads will have pressed in studs, so again, check.

Bill
I have had both 4x and 6x no 4 heads in my past and they all had screw in studs factory. Not sure if this is uncommon but its just how my three pair were, However they had a fine thread on the stud and aftermarket lock nuts where hard to find for them when you went to roller rockers

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.