Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Better core block for sbc 383, 4-bolt flat or 2-bolt roller?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Block

Before this turns into another 2 vs 4 bolt wizzing match lets all take a deep breath...

It's all application driven. Carl spends alot of time with the dirt track roundy-round guys. They spin engines 5000 rpms off the turns and 8500 plus at the end of the straght-a-way. He gets to see what happens to blocks in the high demands of those applications.

Engines that are used for drag racing are a different deal,,as well as street engines. I have had some disagreements on this issue in the past with Carl. I am thinking ( with out putting words into his mouth) he is only trying to give the guy the best case for his build.

I personally have use many studded 2 bolt applications in 400+ hp street strip 350 engines with zero cap issues, but anything can break. I had one customer split a .030 350 4 bolt block in one cylinder due to detonation. 6 or 8 bolts in the mains would not have saved the engine...It just broke another week link.

It is always better to do what works then what you can get away with. If your good at setting up the tune and pay attention to whats happening inside the engine then at that power level and a street engine the 2 bolt is fine....IMO... a 4 bolt would be added insurance.

Keith