Better launches with HD springs?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Better launches with HD springs??

I need to replace the rear leaf springs (5 leaf) on my daughters 78 camaro which is used as a mile track car and some street use.

I believe the Heavy Duty leaf springs give the same ride height as the standard springs but the ride is not as smooth.

It has a 400sbc (approx. 450 HP 480TQ) TCI TH350 auto trans with 3000 stall and 4.10 gears and posi.

My question is will the stiffer springs get MT drag radials to stick any better??

406chevelle

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

How does it launch now? Are you hitting the bump stops on hard launches and then the tires go up in smoke? Is wheel hop a problem?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

Actually the 400sbc is not in it yet, I am anticipating a traction problem. One of the leafs is broken and the springs overall are shot so I need to replace them and want to replace them with the best option.

I am also going to install a pair of the Jegster Lift Bars and Jegster frame connectors.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/41044/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/40052/10002/-1
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

edit: you added info before I posted this

anything is possible but stiffer springs means less weight transfer to the tires at launch...

I'd make a "helper" stiffening leaf and test that at the strip for results first...

for what it's worth, food for thought:
I used old soft springs on purpose with no lift movement restriction on the front (loosened the sway bar, rubbers in the coils etc) for max quickest weight transfer at launch....
mounted rear shock coil helper springs that were loose at the top, just contacting the floor at the top...
the coils only added spring rate to the car when 2 people were in the back seat or crossing really rough RR tracks...
(drove very nice on the street)

I did try adding shims to the coils tops to increase the spring rate and/or tried helper leafs in combo's to see if new springs would be better and the answer was no....

every car is different, all you can do is test till you find what it does like best..
adding spring rate is easier than trying to take it away from stiff leafs...
Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406chevelle
I need to replace the rear leaf springs (5 leaf) on my daughters 78 camaro which is used as a mile track car and some street use.

I believe the Heavy Duty leaf springs give the same ride height as the standard springs but the ride is not as smooth.

It has a 400sbc (approx. 450 HP 480TQ) TCI TH350 auto trans with 3000 stall and 4.10 gears and posi.

My question is will the stiffer springs get MT drag radials to stick any better??

406chevelle
Caltrac bars! I'm down to two leafs on my S-10, with P275DR Nitto's it gives 1.70 60ft times on street pavement (with a G-Tech Pro).

Rus
Old 03-08-2009, 11:30 AM
WrenchingAce

Hi bud. The leaf springs won't ADD traction per say. Their function is to hold the car up and provide a good ride. Traction bars are designed to aid traction. Now the Jegster bars are a great way to go and are very affordable. The cal tracs and the Competition Engineering Slide a links are IMO the best traction bars on the market today but at a substantially higher price. I have seen the Jegster bars in action (used to be the SSM bars) and they seem to work very well. I just bolted a pair on the '68 Camaro project I have and they were very easy to install and are solid.
As far as the leaf springs go...the five leaf will work great but the car will sit a little high. I prefer a four leaf spring personally. I installed a three leaf spring on a '68 Nova and they were a little too low. When you are ready to purchase the springs just let me know. I think I can get you a break on the price...maybe. AAA leaf spring is where I'd go when you're ready.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Check out the TV show "muscle car" they did a show awhile back about a sleeper nova with a stout motor. They made their own "super stock" springs by modifying a set of multi leaf springs. The thing hooked so hard it would overpower the traction of the front tires and push the front end around during a burnout.

Anyways, I think you can get traction and ride quality by modifying a set of stock springs.

http://www.truveo.com/MuscleCar-Fina.../id/2418580249

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.